The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Range affecting weapon damage
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> Range affecting weapon damage Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2021 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
There's many instances if i have an alternate rule (or there exists one in a book), that i let the CHOICE of use it, or use the RAW, go to the players.

Such as in one SW game, i was using a DM's HR (that later on i adapted to my own), for melee weapon damage, that if you CHOSE TO GO PAST the max limit, you risked breaking said melee weapon. I gave the choice of use it or not, to the players. 5 of the 7 said no, 2 said yes, so the 'vote' was defeated..
Then several groups later, i offered it up again to a 5 player table, 4 said YES, one said NO.. So the 'option was in'..

Democracy in action!
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2021 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are a few though, that they are FULL Group calls on.. IF even one says no, we don't use it.. Such as in my current ADND group, for Psionics being allowed, that is a FULL group consensus.. And for "DO we use level limits as is, OR do we apply an XP penalty to ALL Demi-humans, but do away with level limits?"
Dr. Bidlo
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2021 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am all on board with that. Let the players decide which house rules will be in play then they will own the results. It is best way to go with a mature gaming group.

Last edited by Dr. Bidlo on Mon Dec 20, 2021 12:31 am; edited 1 time in total
Whill

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2021 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dr. Bidlo wrote:
I am all on board with that. Let let players decide which house rules will be in play then they will own the results. It is best way to go with a mature gaming group.

I'm the gamemaster of the group so most all rule oriented aspects of the game are my way, but I am open to player suggestions. My mission is for each player to be completely invested in group as a whole, and our united purpose is to co-create entertaining stories. I'm extremely clear with expectations up front. We discuss the coming campaign as a group. We create the PCs, supporting characters, and PC ships as a group.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Dr. Bidlo
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2021 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
Dr. Bidlo wrote:
I am all on board with that. Let let players decide which house rules will be in play then they will own the results. It is best way to go with a mature gaming group.

I'm the gamemaster of the group so most all rule oriented aspects of the game are my way, but I am open to player suggestions. My mission is for each player to be completely invested in group as a whole, and our united purpose is to co-create entertaining stories. I'm extremely clear with expectations up front. We discuss the coming campaign as a group. We create the PCs, supporting characters, and PC ships as a group.

Do you create entirely new characters for each new campaign? Do you find players are able to let go of their favorite characters easily enough? Moreover, do characters actual die with any regularity? I haven't run SW games since the 90's before the last year so I haven't killed anyone yet, but there is a fair amount of blood on my hands... my SpecForces games were usually no hold barred suicide missions that typically ended badly, but were a blast.
Whill

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2021 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dr. Bidlo wrote:
Whill wrote:

Do you create entirely new characters for each new campaign?

Almost exclusively, yes. Over the decades I've had only a few "sequel" campaigns but those have mostly been solo campaigns where the adventures of a single high experience PC continue in a new situation from the finale of the previous campaign. There have been a few small subgroup sequel campaigns where some of the players of the original campaign reprise their characters, but those were no more than mini-campaigns that support a solo sequel campaign but also sometimes tie up some loose ends of the character arcs that were not addressed in the original campaign.

Quote:
Moreover, do characters actual die with any regularity?

I've only had a handful of PCs die since 1988, so no, not with any regularity.

Quote:
Do you find players are able to let go of their favorite characters easily enough?

Yes I do find that, because I'm really into campaigns that bring a narrative to full fruition, with each character having their character arcs in it. I like feeling a sense of completion. (I have ran a few episodic campaigns that have no overarching narrative, but those aren't my preference.)

That said, if a player would ever have trouble letting go it would not be the player's choice to continue playing their PC in a sequel campaign I would run if I felt there was no more story for us to tell. After one of my campaigns ended, I did have a player tell me that he talked a GM of another SW D6 group he had joined into allowing him to play his PC from my game, joining an existing game mid-campaign because the existing PCs were of a similar experience level and the new PC had a skill set that helped fulfill the direction they wanted that campaign to go. He said the new GM only made a few tweaks to his character sheet and mandated a couple continuity tweaks to his background to fit it in with the campaign, but otherwise the PC's campaign experience in my game became a part of the character's background in that campaign. So maybe he had trouble letting the character go, and then got an opportunity to continue playing a close version of him so did. I lost touch with the player for a while and several years later he told me his PC had heroically sacrificed his life to save a planet in that campaign's climax, but overall that campaign was not as fun as mine.

The other important consideration to this is, I personally don't get into running really high experience PCs, so my campaigns can't go on indefinitely. I start PCs off with more skill dice than RAW, but advancement is a tad slower so it doesn't get out of hand before we have to time to bring the story to a close.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2021 3:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dr. Bidlo wrote:
Do you create entirely new characters for each new campaign? Do you find players are able to let go of their favorite characters easily enough?

IF I ever do get to run a long campaign, that then kicks into a 2nd, and possible 3rd, YES they would be making new pcs up, for each new one.
Dr. Bidlo
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2022 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since using CRMcNeill's rules for speed affecting to hit rolls and Shields as Cover, I no longer use the rule I proposed in this thread. Those two factors achieve what I was looking for and they do I well.
Dr. Bidlo
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2022 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was just reading the 1E rules for fun since I never have - I played 1E only and the mechanics were largely a mystery to me. While reading Capter Five: Starships, under Damage, imagine my surprise when I read that you reduce damage by 1D at Medium Range and reduced damage by 2D at Long Range. The only thing that is missing from my original house rule post was adding 1D damage at Point-blank Range. I just thought that was interesting.

Last edited by Dr. Bidlo on Tue Nov 08, 2022 12:24 am; edited 1 time in total
Whill

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2022 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dr. Bidlo wrote:
I was just reading the 1E rules for fun since I never have - I played 1E only and the mechanics were largely a mystery to me. While reading Capter Five: Starship, under Damage, imagine my surprise when I read that you reduce damage by 1D at Medium Range and reduced damage by 2D at Long Range. The only thing that is missing from my original house rule post was adding 1D damage at Point-blank Range. I just thought that was interesting.

I'm considering implementing a -1D penalty to damage for long range, all scales. But that is mostly motivated by my premise that blaster bolts dissipate once they have reached the end of long range for that weapon, so the -1D for long range is a step toward that complete dissipation.

Maybe the conception of that premise actually goes back to 1e space combat, two more severe steps down on the way to dissipation. But I haven't ran 1e in 30 years, so I'm not sure now.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Dr. Bidlo
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2022 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will tell you, it definitely encourages player to get in closer for maximum punch. I implemented that house rule after a few games where my players destroyed enemies at maximum range after a couple of salvoes and it was not very satisfying. I did not realize it was a rule in 1st edition until a few days ago... I said I wouldn't go back in my first post in this series, but I did. I stopped using the house rule based on persuasive arguments against it in this forum, but I think I am going to start using it again because it just felt right in game play.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: