The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Tactics: A New Old Approach
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> Tactics: A New Old Approach Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Whill
Supreme Chancellor (Owner/Admin)


Joined: 14 Apr 2008
Posts: 9616
Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2022 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dr. Bidlo wrote:
The commander of a ship should be able to use Tactics without worrying about MAPs because they most likely are not directly controlling anything on the ship at all, leaving those tasks to the crew.

Wouldn't the commander of a ship or fleet still need to make some command rolls every now and then, in addition to tactics? If making them both in the same round, there could and should be MAPs.
_________________
*
Site Map
Forum Guidelines
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering


Joined: 05 Apr 2010
Posts: 15683
Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2022 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dr. Bidlo wrote:
The commander of a ship should be able to use Tactics without worrying about MAPs because they most likely are not directly controlling anything on the ship at all, leaving those tasks to the crew.

Yes, that fits with my view. I see this skill being applicable to either a small group of PCs (either on foot, or crewing a vehicle or starship), or as one PC in command of a capital ship, where Command is used almost exclusively before a battle even starts (as per our other discussion on the matter). The VE Command roll would only only apply in the case of a group of PCs working together, not a military unit who have drilled and exercised in order to make working together as natural as breathing.
_________________
"No set of rules can cover every situation. It's expected that you will make up new rules to suit the needs of your game." - The Star Wars Roleplaying Game, 2R&E, pg. 69, WEG, 1996.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Dr. Bidlo
Commander
Commander


Joined: 24 Nov 2021
Posts: 387
Location: Arizona, USA

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2022 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
Dr. Bidlo wrote:
The commander of a ship should be able to use Tactics without worrying about MAPs because they most likely are not directly controlling anything on the ship at all, leaving those tasks to the crew.

Wouldn't the commander of a ship or fleet still need to make some command rolls every now and then, in addition to tactics? If making them both in the same round, there could and should be MAPs.


A commander could do both in the sanme turn and suffer MAPs, but should not have to directly command every turn. I have been using command to give bonuses to one specific section (shields, weapons, piloting, sensors, communications, etc.). However, after reading this and other posts, I wonder if the captain's command rolls should just give bonuses to the command rolls of each section commander. Seems logical, but just seems kind of tedious to roll for a bonus for a roll for a bonus... or, as CRMcneill described above.

But ti your point, yes, it could incur MAPs if used in the same round as command rolls.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector


Joined: 17 Jul 2005
Posts: 13661
Location: Reynoldsburg, Columbus, Ohio.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2022 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
Dr. Bidlo wrote:
The commander of a ship should be able to use Tactics without worrying about MAPs because they most likely are not directly controlling anything on the ship at all, leaving those tasks to the crew.

Wouldn't the commander of a ship or fleet still need to make some command rolls every now and then, in addition to tactics? If making them both in the same round, there could and should be MAPs.


Yup. Just like a pc wanting to command his party, and does something else as well...
_________________
Confucious sayeth, don't wash cat while drunk!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
Page 8 of 8

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group


v2.0