The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

D+ WILLOW Show
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Miscellanea -> D+ WILLOW Show Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TauntaunScout
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2022 3:19 pm    Post subject: D+ WILLOW Show Reply with quote

Whoever wrote and directed this shoulda been in charge of the sequel trilogy. This is how you do a hand-off to a younger generation of heroes.
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2022 12:18 am    Post subject: Re: D+ WILLOW Show Reply with quote

My wife and I re-watched the movie last night. We haven't started the TV series yet but hopefully soon.

TauntaunScout wrote:
Whoever wrote and directed this shoulda been in charge of the sequel trilogy. This is how you do a hand-off to a younger generation of heroes.

Yeah, the Willow TV series creator/developer, co-executive producer, and co-writer is none other than Jonathan Kasdan, the co-producer and co-writer of Solo with his father Lawrence Kasdan (writer of Raiders of the Lost Ark, TESB, RotJ, and co-writer of TFA). Ron Howard, director of Solo and the Willow film, is also an executive producer of the Willow TV series.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
TauntaunScout
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2022 3:51 pm    Post subject: Re: D+ WILLOW Show Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
My wife and I re-watched the movie last night. We haven't started the TV series yet but hopefully soon.

TauntaunScout wrote:

Yeah, the Willow TV series creator/developer, co-executive producer, and co-writer is none other than Jonathan Kasdan, the co-producer and co-writer of Solo with his father Lawrence Kasdan (writer of Raiders of the Lost Ark, TESB, RotJ, and co-writer of TFA). Ron Howard, director of Solo and the Willow film, is also an executive producer of the Willow TV series.

I didn't like SOLO but it was a suicide mission. Highly unlikely anyone coulda made it so I'd like it.
Whill

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2022 10:05 pm    Post subject: Re: D+ WILLOW Show Reply with quote

TauntaunScout wrote:
I didn't like SOLO but it was a suicide mission.

I think you're confusing Solo with Rogue One. Cool
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Darklighter79
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2022 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Three episodes watched. I liked flashbacks as they brought the magic of the original. I like the lore being expanded and new elements introduced.

On the other hand:
They put two Australian outback farmers in jeans into the fantasy setting? It felt strange and unfitting.

In few scenes some of the young actors seem to be modern teenagers. In one review it was described as "very modern and snarky."

Sometimes it does not have the "feel" the original movie but let's wait for the rest of the episodes.

In the second trailer there was a glimpse of a city:
https://youtu.be/t414qlzdXRA?t=81
Looked quite...star warsy?
Whill

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2022 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A character saying, "sh!t" threw me out of it. Profanity itself doesn't bother me, but it seemed out of place for the genre. I don't care for the pop and rock music either. Yeah, I guess there are some other modernisms in the show that the show doesn't really need. But I'm not holding these minor things against the show.

My wife and I really hated the dark scenes though. It sucks when there are action scenes and you can't tell what is happening. After the third episode we found the brightness setting and turned it up a bit to see if that will help in the future. I hope it doesn't brighten bright scenes too much.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
KageRyu
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2022 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did not like it at all. I did not even finish the first episode. I felt it did the legacy of the movie a great disservice with poor writing and creative choices, in some places over use of exposition, either some poor acting or poorly written dialogue, and some things that were clearly presented in an in-your-face manner to force controversy rather than being well written and feeling organic or natural.

I do not feel vulgarity, even the lesser expletives, fit in not only the genre but Willow. I did not really care for modern music in A Knights Tale either, and certainly not in willow.

The main character coming off as a super-shallow, angsty teen definitely did not help.

While the movie was definitely more of a campy family friendly fantasy adventure, it has a fond place in my memories as being among some of the more enjoyable fantasy to come out of the time (there was a lot of bad fantasy back then...some great...but lots of bad - have you seen Krull Yeah...?)

R.e. dark scenes - this an ongoing problem with lots of modern television and cinema. I am unsure how much of it is due to improper lighting choices and directorial choices, and how much of it is due to limits of digital equipment. When shooting with film, lighting was still important, but higher speed, chemically formulated film for use in darker situations was used to offset the issue. With Film, there were any number of ways to enhance the contrast and the depth with alterations to the developing and exposures. Digital does not have these advantages, and this needs to be done in post. There are a lot of varying schools of thought in digital editing on how to get good night scenes, and no one seems to agree. It may just be a lost art now - gone the way of the Supermax cameras and Panavision...
Whill

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2022 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The darkness was definitely a directorial choice. Even if a scene should take place at night for the sake of the plot, you can write some contrivance into it to cast some light on the action. The clouds move out from in front of a moon. A lamp gets knocked over and lights a bush on fire. Something. It's not like it was done for mood, like horror or for suspense. It was action! Action should not be in the dark. My wife and I were so annoyed.

In the old days, this never happened. For most movies they even used to film night scenes in the early morning. I could always suspend disbelief if a scene is brighter than it should be for the setting and time of day, for the sake of allowing me to see what is happening. But I've noticed a more recent trend of showing action in the dark. It is often done to give a break on the special effects budget because it is easier to hide things that look fake in the dark. But the dark action scene in the 3rd episode was mostly just sword fighting in the woods. There is no reason it had to be so dark, unless the fight choreography was so bad that they intentionally darkened it in post to hide how bad it was.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
KageRyu
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2022 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
...It is often done to give a break on the special effects budget because it is easier to hide things that look fake in the dark. But the dark action scene in the 3rd episode was mostly just sword fighting in the woods. There is no reason it had to be so dark, unless the fight choreography was so bad that they intentionally darkened it in post to hide how bad it was.

That is a distinct possibility. Fight choreography, especially with swords and other lethal weapons, up to today's standards of fast and skillful use of such weapons, can be very difficult and expensive. It involves long hours of training the actors and stunt people with those weapons and rehearsing the sequences involved, it involves high cost liability insurance for those involved. Even if this is all in the budget, sometimes actors and actresses are unable or unwilling to participate or dedicate this sort of effort, risk, or commitment. It's also possible there were flaws in costuming or wardrobe, or shortages in props, or other things that the production staff wanted hidden with darkness. It would not be the first production to do so.
Darklighter79
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2022 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope that Willow character will not have the fate of Luke's in TLJ.

Seems some illogical / bad writing here:

1) Sorsha denies Willow training of Elora. Why? Being the daughter of a powerful magician she knew what danger a dark magic could be. Moreover, she was the witness of a key role Willow and Fin Raziel played in stopping Bavmorda. With no magic users as protectors, regular army posed a little danger to a sorcerer ---> polymorphic spell cast by Bavmorda in the movie. Yet, she said no, because of...plot.

2) Writers make Willow weak, Sorscha says he is not a great wizard. Seems the writers have forgotten that at the end of the movie he has received Fin Raziel's book of magic. My guess is there were spells far beyond the knowledge and skill of a regular High Aldwin. Armed also with Cherlindrea's wand, it's hard to believe that he spent no time on training and developing his talent.
TauntaunScout
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2022 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darklighter79 wrote:
I hope that Willow character will not have the fate of Luke's in TLJ.

Seems some illogical / bad writing here:

1) Sorsha denies Willow training of Elora. Why? Being the daughter of a powerful magician she knew what danger a dark magic could be. Moreover, she was the witness of a key role Willow and Fin Raziel played in stopping Bavmorda. With no magic users as protectors, regular army posed a little danger to a sorcerer ---> polymorphic spell cast by Bavmorda in the movie. Yet, she said no, because of...plot.

2) Writers make Willow weak, Sorscha says he is not a great wizard. Seems the writers have forgotten that at the end of the movie he has received Fin Raziel's book of magic. My guess is there were spells far beyond the knowledge and skill of a regular High Aldwin. Armed also with Cherlindrea's wand, it's hard to believe that he spent no time on training and developing his talent.

He apparently had relatively little talent compared to Bavmorda and Raziel. More than any other not-evil-person of his generation but still not much. So maybe not letting Willow train Alora was also because he woulda been a lousy teacher. He seems like a pretty bad teacher, he has no pedagogical style of his own, he's just parroting the old High Aldwin.

Sorsha still uses magic to protect Alora,just not battle wizards. They got a magic bubble over the country and seem to put a lot of stock in recovering magic artifacts.

There's lots of little things I can find wrong with this show (many of which are a necessary outgrowth of it being a show instead of a movie) but I don't worry about them. The overall effect still works. I've never seen a movie set in the real middle ages that makes a serious effort to make the costumes (including armor) historically accurate. So there's always hundreds of little details that are baffling and continuity-breaking. But that's not to say there are no GOOD movies set in the real middle ages.

Same thing with this show. There's lots of things wrong with it (example: swearing) but it's still good.
Whill

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2023 3:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We finished Willow tonight. It wasn't that great. I'm disappointed with it.

I didn't care for all the modern/teen/20-something lingo, all the profanity, all the modern music. It's like they took a little bit of Lord of the Rings, a little bit of Harry Potter, and tried to make it more bussin'.

I didn't think the writing was that good. It suffered from some of the same problems as each of the DT films, but it was more meandering since they had to spread this story out over eight episodes instead of a movie.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
TauntaunScout
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2023 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
We finished Willow tonight. It wasn't that great. I'm disappointed with it.

I didn't care for all the modern/teen/20-something lingo, all the profanity, all the modern music. It's like they took a little bit of Lord of the Rings, a little bit of Harry Potter, and tried to make it more bussin'.

I didn't think the writing was that good. It suffered from some of the same problems as each of the DT films, but it was more meandering since they had to spread this story out over eight episodes instead of a movie.

I hold WILLOW to a lower bar than Star Wars. I mean, the original had a guy turning into a giant snowball after falling down a snowy hillside, like in Looney Tunes.
Whill

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2023 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TauntaunScout wrote:
I hold WILLOW to a lower bar than Star Wars. I mean, the original had a guy turning into a giant snowball after falling down a snowy hillside, like in Looney Tunes.

It sounds like you have already defended the show outside of the Pit. I don't think the tactic of saying the show is not bad because the movie is silly to be a very meaningful point.

I personally do hold the Willow D+ series to the bar of the Willow movie. They had a chance to make something much better than the movie, but they didn't. I would have been happy with something just as good as the movie, but it wasn't. And actually I had no problem with the silly snowball scene in the film. If fit the movie. The problems the series had weren't that it was too silly.

I am truly happy you enjoyed it.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Sutehp
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2023 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm actually liking the series more than the movie. But then, I hadn't ever seen the movie until a couple of months ago when I decided to watch the series. I figured I should watch the whole story in order. Razz

Yeah, the movie was campy and silly, but that was part of its charm. As for the series, it's a similar but different story in terms of theme. The movie was a campy story about Willow learning to fulfill his dream of becoming a sorceror after being bored with his farmer's life. The series is about an older Willow who lost his wife while he was off on one of his adventures and being estranged from his son because of that. He has regrets now after becoming a sorceror forced him to endure loss. In one of his lowest points, he even says "I'm not a great sorceror. I'm just a farmer who got lucky."

Added to that is the wrinkle that he has responsibilities to train Elora, who never had a choice about fulfilling her destiny to defeat evil. Elora grew up thinking she was no one special and in a single day loses the man she loves and finds out that she is the only person who can save the world. That's a lot to absorb in a short amount of time. So we have a reluctant teacher and a less-than-willing student who has to learn magic before the world gets destroyed.

I never thought the series had to be as campy as the movie. In fact, I'm glad it's not. I don't hold the series to a lower standard than the movie, just a different standard. The movie was a fun, campy romp; the series is darker and edgier with more serious themes about the impending end of the world. And I have to admit, I thought the final scene showing the armies of darkness set to Dire Straits' Money for Nothing was awesome.

But that's just me.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Miscellanea All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: