The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

*** FORUM POSTING GUIDELINES ***
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> The Rancor Pit Users/Forums Info -> *** FORUM POSTING GUIDELINES *** Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2022 2:14 am    Post subject: Re: *** FORUM POSTING GUIDELINES *** Reply with quote

Site Admin wrote:
(4) No grammar nazism... However, thread titles may have spelling corrected or otherwise be clarified as needed.

No change here. Just a reminder.

Site Admin wrote:
(5) Keep it tasteful. Please do not post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, sexually-oriented material, whether it be in text, images, or links to such material.

I expanded this sentence to match the adjectives already in the phpBB Registration Agreement Terms, which makes this only an increase in emphasis, not an actual change.

Please note that moderation may even be required for unintentional violations of these things, but user intention will be considered in the specific course of action taken by staff.

I was also asked to update the first guideline as indicated below. The sentiment of first block's edit was already expressed in the commentary of this thread, so it is not really new.

Site Admin wrote:
(1) Respect Moderator wisdom and judgment. While these guidelines are comprehensive, they can't possibly address every possible situation that may come up on the forum. Admins and Moderators have the authority to make judgments and enact moderations such as editing posts, issuing warnings, locking threads, and more as they deem necessary... If you find that a post of yours is edited or missing from the forum, please do not repost it. We will PM you to advise the reason why when warranted...

Admins and Moderators editing user posts is very rare. It is most commonly done to correct messed-up quote tags, but if minor edits are really needed to make posts conform to forum guidelines, they may be done.

Site Admin wrote:
...Moderation may occur at any length of time after the post being posted.

We aren't perfect. We may occasionally miss an issue and then notice it much later. Even years later. There never were any "statutes of limitations" on post or thread title moderation. It is only new to explicitly state this.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Whill

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2022 1:31 pm    Post subject: Post Legibility Reply with quote

Site Admin wrote:
(4) No grammar nazism. The default language of this forum is American English. It is a common courtesy and best practice to run your posts through a spellchecker and make them as legible as possible. However, please do not offer any unsolicited corrections to another forum user's grammar or spelling. If you truly cannot discern the intended meaning of someone's statement then of course you can politely ask for clarification, but if you do understand what they mean, then please just let it go. However, thread titles may have spelling corrected or otherwise be clarified as needed. If you would like to point out that another user's thread title is spelled incorrectly, then please PM me, not them. Please do not post a reply in the thread pointing out the typo/error. (If I spell words wrong in my own thread titles, feel free to PM me.) It is ok to send PMs to other users with post spelling corrections if you PM a single request for permission to do so first and they reply affirmatively.

I added the sentence in blue. We do not expect perfection, but we do expect you to try. It doesn't require much effort to run your posts through a spellchecker.

Being slightly dyslexic and not the best speller, I cringe when I read my old posts here and notice a bunch of errors. At some point over the years, spellcheck was added to my browser (primarily Google Chrome for Mac), so in text windows like the Pit has I am automatically alerted with a red squiggly line underneath words that it doesn't find in some dictionary. There are some grammar issues programmed to alert me. This is probably fairly standard across multiple platforms nowadays.

If your browser doesn't have spellcheck, then please first type your text in an application that does. When spellchecked, then paste it into the Pit text window.

We are simply asking that you make an effort to make your posts legible. Thank you.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Whill

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2022 10:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Post Legibility Reply with quote

And remember, if you don't understand something, it is not considered grammar naziism to politely ask for clarification.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Whill

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2022 11:53 am    Post subject: Re: *** FORUM POSTING GUIDELINES *** Reply with quote

Site Admin wrote:
Keep it tidy... Before posting a new thread, please read the forum descriptions and post in the most applicable area. Please use the Search function or otherwise look for recent threads on the same topic before posting a new thread or resurrecting an old one. Please do not cross-post the same questions/topics in multiple forums, and please do not duplicate posts in multiple threads...

Do your research... It is a best practice to do some research on a subject before posting or replying about that subject, and this research can includes searching for and reviewing prior Rancor Pit threads that discuss the topic.

Nothing new here, just a reminder.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Whill

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2022 12:02 pm    Post subject: Re: *** FORUM POSTING GUIDELINES *** Reply with quote

Site Admin wrote:
(3) Keep it tidy. Please do not post images with the [Img] tags that are greater than 750 pixels wide - Instead just post a URL link to a larger image. In the same regard, do not post very long URLs that stretch the page horizontally – Please either remove unnecessary aspects of the URL to shorten it, or use the [URL] tags with a short text description (the second option when you hover your cursor over the [URL] tag button).

The part about long URLs is new. Nothing should be posted that makes my horizontal scroll bar appear on my Rancor Pit browser tab (set for 150% zoom). It should go without saying that there is never a legitimate reason to ever post a giant string of text characters (without any spacing) that would also stretch the page too far. Thank you.

Site Admin wrote:
The default language of this forum is American English. It is a common courtesy and best practice to run your posts through a spellchecker and make them as legible as possible.

Nothing new here, just a reminder. If your web browser doesn't have it built-in, then you can use an application like Word. Please feel free to set your spell check for any dialect of English that you prefer. American, Australian, British, Canadian, whatever. Just pick one. (You may have noticed that the Pit's font color tag is labeled as "Font colour" which is the non-American spelling.) We don't care which English you use as long as there is an effort being made to make your posts legible. Thank you.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Whill

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2023 1:13 am    Post subject: Keep it civil & Research Reply with quote

Site Admin wrote:
(5) Keep it tasteful. Please do not post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, sexually-oriented material, whether it be in text, images, or links to such material...
Site Admin wrote:
(7) Keep it civil. Anger, fear, aggression… the Dark Side are they. Please be respectful of the forums, other users, and their posts. Disagreements will occur on the forums, and there is usually nothing wrong with calm and civil discussion of the Star Wars franchise and RPGs. Sometimes all you can do is agree to disagree. Please try to avoid the mere appearance of incivility. It is a best practice to avoid excessive negativity on any subject (but see 11 below for a related imperative). Please be mindful of general forum etiquette, tone, and knee-jerk reactions. (It is a best practice to be aware of logical fallacies and cognitive bias.) Do not troll others. Do not post fear mongering statements. Do not state or imply that this website will or may face legal situations (Instead, PM any concerns to me). Please do not engage in name-calling and personal attacks. Harassment, bullying, and abusive behavior will not be tolerated (even by PM). Discriminatory remarks made on the basis of (but not limited to) race, gender identity, sexual orientation, or religion will not be tolerated here. Hate speech directed toward anyone (on this forum or elsewhere) will not be tolerated here. Please do not spam or otherwise vandalize the forums. (Advertisements for PbP games on other websites should not be posted here.)

Guideline (7) has not been updated since 2018. The only new text is in blue. The previously existing sentences have been resequenced but remain unaltered.

Site Admin wrote:
(10) Research. Wookieepedia is your friend. Before asking (or arguing) about the existence of something in canon or legends, please consult Wookieepedia or another source. This is not to say that Wookieepedia is always 100% accurate, but discounting it as a valuable resource for that reason is throwing out the baby Luke with the bacta bath water. (If Wookieepedia is incorrect about something, show us why.) It is a best practice to do some research on a subject before posting or replying about that subject, and this research includes searching for and reviewing prior Rancor Pit threads that discuss the topic. Do not attempt to pass off your personal canon as official canon. If you wish to discuss or propose modifications to official rules, please review, try to understand, and reference the official rules you are modifying first. Also, please try to avoid sharing links to sensational clickbait and unreliable journalism. Please research validity and look for confirmation of news and such from reputable sources before posting. Please try to share links to pages as official and close to the original source of the news as possible. As a Star Wars discussion forum we often discuss fictional science in applicable contexts, but do not promote real world misinformation, pseudoscience, antiscience, anti-intellectualism, or conspiracy theories.

I shortened the title of the guideline because "Do your research" unfortunately evokes the infamous irrationalism slogan "Do your own research", which is antithesis to the sentiment of this guideline.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Whill

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2023 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joe Q. Gamer wrote:
By default from a legal standpoint, Y will be no longer valid the moment X happens.

The above is not the same as the below ⬇.

Joe Q. Gamer wrote:
According to YouTube lawyers, Y will be no longer valid the moment X happens.

The former reads like an indisputable fact you know, and the latter is explicitly an opinion of others you are sharing. I didn't spell this out in the research guideline, or any other, because this is common sense so should go without saying. If you use unconditional factually definitive statement language, how is anyone possibly supposed to know that you really mean you are just passing on the opinions of supposed experts?

Beyond revealing your factually-worded statement is actually someone else's opinion, it should also go without saying that you should link supporting evidence for the expert opinion you are sharing, where allowed by the forum guidelines.

Now we are getting to part of what the Research guideline addresses, what to share and what not to share. If your source is unreliable, then don't share it. But this never meant to state it is as a fact here and hide that it is an unreliable opinion from elsewhere.

I'm not stating all this explicitly in the guidelines because I shouldn't have to, and the guidelines are now even more explicit about the types of things to not share or say here (no matter how valid you feel they are). Keep it civil and do not vandalize the forums.

Quote:
ADMIN/MODs: We have consistently demonstrated that we do not appreciate unfounded speculation presented as fact here.
USER: I do not appreciate that attitude.

I know you are but what am I? Really?

Quote:
USER: <Negativity>
WHILL: Um, that's negative.
USER: Why are you so negative?

It is not negative to call out negativity. It is ultimately positive. It is not antagonistic to call out bullsh!t. It is responsible. I am reactive, but the forum guidelines are proactive, forward-looking, preventative.

If I was noob to a website and first saw forum guidelines like ours, my knee-jerk admittedly might be, this wall of text I'm about to read must mean it is overly legalistic and restrictive here. But as I would read the guidelines, I would quickly realize that it is all quite reasonable and most things should go without saying. There would only be a couple 'oh I'll have to remember that' type of things to make note of. I would be very excited to read guidelines like these and realize that a forum owner and staff should be so caring and protective of everyone having a positive experience here. (And I would also feel sorry for the admin who had to bother adding so many details to the guidelines, because everything it deals with must have been an issue at some point to even be mentioned.)

If everyone always followed the guidelines, there would be virtually no moderation here ever. The guidelines are admittedly written from an overoptimistic premise that everyone can take these to heart and self-moderate. I've admitted this is the case because I do not enjoy moderation. I do not enjoy conflict. I do not enjoy being the primary person who makes the rules or enforcing them. But the Rancor Pit was on the verge of not existing, so it was me or no one. I'm not the best man for the job, but I am the only man for the job.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Whill

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2023 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was recently characterized as having a negative outlook on my life by someone who has known me for two decades as a Star Wars fan, and as a Rancor Pit admin in recent years. So I've recently read a lot of posts from over the years and thought a lot about it.

We live in a very negative world. I am getting older and my body is worsening. Life is challenging as times. My life is not perfect, but I love my life. Overall, my life has improved with time. I love being a father. I am married to my best friend. I am blessed with a family to love and who loves me. I enjoy my job now more than ever, and I make a better living now more than ever. I have an active religious life that gives my life so much meaning. I've got so much to be thankful for in life. I've never known this much happiness could even be possible, and it just keeps getting better.

I love Star Wars. Much, much more than when I was kid (but I really loved it as a kid too). In recent years my fandom has deepened further quite a bit, despite (but likely because of) some weaker Disney films and overall inferior non-film publishing.

I've recently read a lot of the old vitriol toward Lucas posted here (some for the first time), largely because fans got rid of their VCRs, failed to get the 2006 DVD sets that included their childhood versions of the films, or hold on to some extremely intricate set of entitled fan demands for exactly what aspects of the original films must and must not be updated. Star Wars didn't even exist digitally at all when we were kids, but somehow I'm the sensitive snowflake, when I know how to blink and miss Greedo's shot at Han? Lucas did not reach back though time and ruin my childhood.

I love Star Wars so much that I overall loved the PT despite the fact that it included the worst of the six films Lucas made (AotC), and despite the performances of Natalie Portman in RotS, Hayden Christiansen in AotC and RotS, and Samuel Jackson in all three PT films. This site preexisted RotS, and I read prejudice based on trailers (and even the title), fans poisoning themselves to RotS before they ever saw it, something I NEVER did with the Disney films. Despite TFA clearly being a reboot of my fave SW film that coincidentally and nonsensically reestablished the premise of the CT later in the same timeline (history repeated itself, hardcore), I didn't let it poison me on the rest of the "trilogy." I gave each film a chance to be awesome. After the extremely disappointing TLJ, I still gave TRoS the benefit of the doubt that it would be great, tie the DT together, and tie the DT into the larger saga. When I said that didn't happen, I was told that I had changed, that the reason why I didn't like the DT is because of my own negative fandom, by hypocrites who experienced a causation-violating ruination of their childhood and despise the PT.

Hypocrisy sickens me, and "fans" who hate certain versions of the CT and the PT don't get to define me and my fandom as negative because I had big issues with the DT. Issues I have very carefully considered and explained. And my fandom doesn't have any prejudiced, broad, era-defined categorical dismissals, like 'Lucas after 1996' or even 'the Disney era.' I love RO and Solo. I found a way to ignore the other films and appreciate TFA by itself for what it is, a high budget remake of my fave SW film. And regarding my two least fave Star Wars films, I have actually said more good things about TLJ and TRoS here than pretty much everyone else here combined. I don't see massive positive-only posts about the PT films from prequel-haters.

And those who see me negatively seem to be an extreme minority. In addition to the most kind public appreciation, I routinely receive PMs expressing appreciation for my management of the Pit. I get PMs from lurkers who have never posted a single post thanking me. The other day I got one from someone who said they find one user here particularly annoying, and they wouldn't even want to read the Rancor Pit if I wasn't here. The Pit's email account gets appreciation mail from lurkers who aren't even registered here. It seems some people just take moderation personally. Moderation is only for the benefit of the Pit. It's not personal.

And nothing I do or say here is out of having a negative outlook as I age. How moderation comes across may sometimes be somewhat influenced by surprised disappointment that the guidelines (and occasionally common sense) aren't just followed in the first place so I wouldn't have to say anything at all (my preference). But my surprised disappointment is factor of my persistent optimism that everyone here is wise enough to heed the guidelines. For the love of the Force, if you have any questions about the guidelines, please don't hesitate to ask. Please feel free to PM the questions if that would be more comfortable.

And one more thing. I feel very deeply embarrassed for grown men who flounce announce. Not a good look.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
DougRed4
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2023 2:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sure you know you're very appreciated here. Don't let a small minority get you down for having to be the adult sometimes. It's sad that common sense seems to be in short supply more and more.

So what is "flounce announcing"?
fogger1138
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2023 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DougRed4 wrote:

"I don't like it here, so I'm leaving!"

<exit dramatically>

See also.
DougRed4
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2023 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So basically behaving like small children do on the playground? "I'm taking my toys and going home!" Rolling Eyes
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2023 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DougRed4 wrote:
So basically behaving like small children do on the playground? "I'm taking my toys and going home!" Rolling Eyes

Pretty much...
pakman
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2023 2:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for everything you do Will.

Many of us appreciate the work on the site here, and your dedication to the star wars rpg community on other mediums as well.

As an older guy (50+ saw star wars as a kid) and a dad myself - I get a lot of your points and sentiments - getting old ain't easy, and have noticed I don't tolerate ignorance (or what I perceive as it, right or not) as much as I used to.

I love being a dad as well - I had kids late in life, so still young - but one of my recent joys (bringing back to star wars) is that I have been watching the saga with my kiddo - we are just about to finish the clone wars, the go on to revenge of the sith and bad batch... etc.

My kid also helps me some with props, prep and stuff for my Star Wars gaming nights (I am the gm in our group, and host at my home). He helps organize minis and terrain, or move chairs etc. He loves star wars too - and showing off his lego stuff to the guys in my group.

Rancor pit and your work, and the positive interactions of everyone else - are part of that - as I get a lot of things out of this community - and those things flow in to my game, and fun with my friends and kiddo.

I used to watch old trek with my dad - and I hope one day my kiddo will appreciate as much the time he has spent with me on star wars.

thanks for everything.
Whill

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2023 2:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Yeah, like fogger said. I meant to link this to my post: flounce post. I have a couple of them that I moved to a non-public archive of the site (the graveyard where spam and the rare deleted threads goes to die). Those with a few 'goodbye' PMs and emails constitute a small, sad collection. I'm far from a "poor me" type of person and usually don't get down on myself, but it is hard not to look at these as failures. I'm a very optimistic person who wants to believe that everyone has the potential to be a positively contributing member here. The 'exits' are all disappointing, but I am less sad about some than others. I try to look at them all as learning experiences, and move forward.

DougRed4 wrote:
I'm sure you know you're very appreciated here. Don't let a small minority get you down for having to be the adult sometimes. It's sad that common sense seems to be in short supply more and more.

Thanks again, Doug. Yes, I have to remember they are a small minority compared to the many satisfied customers.

pakman wrote:
Thanks for everything you do Will.

Many of us appreciate the work on the site here, and your dedication to the star wars rpg community on other mediums as well.

As an older guy (50+ saw star wars as a kid) and a dad myself - I get a lot of your points and sentiments - getting old ain't easy, and have noticed I don't tolerate ignorance (or what I perceive as it, right or not) as much as I used to.

I love being a dad as well - I had kids late in life, so still young - but one of my recent joys (bringing back to star wars) is that I have been watching the saga with my kiddo - we are just about to finish the clone wars, the go on to revenge of the sith and bad batch... etc.

My kid also helps me some with props, prep and stuff for my Star Wars gaming nights (I am the gm in our group, and host at my home). He helps organize minis and terrain, or move chairs etc. He loves star wars too - and showing off his lego stuff to the guys in my group.

Rancor pit and your work, and the positive interactions of everyone else - are part of that - as I get a lot of things out of this community - and those things flow in to my game, and fun with my friends and kiddo.

I used to watch old trek with my dad - and I hope one day my kiddo will appreciate as much the time he has spent with me on star wars.

thanks for everything.

Thanks again, pakman. Reading your post brings warm feelings to my heart.

My dad is a movie fanatic. A much broader fan than I am. He likes many kinds of movies. In 1977, he probably wanted to see Star Wars as much as my brother and I did. None of us had any idea how much it would blow us away. I'll never forget when we got home, my brother and I were running around the apartment like we were Han and Luke on the Death Star, blasting stormtroopers and swinging across metal chasms. Quite literally, 'pew-pew' filled the place and Mom was trying to remind us that it was already past our bedtime. I remember hearing Dad tell her that she was going to have to let us run around for awhile because we had just seen the most awesome movie ever made. We had to get the excitement out of our systems. Dad has seen thousands of movies in his life, and he says "the Star Wars" is still one of his favorites.

I am a similar age to you and also became a father later than typical (I got married later than typical to a younger wife). My son is in junior high now, and he is definitely a chip off the old carbonite block in some ways.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
DougRed4
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2023 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know this is getting terribly off-topic, but your post(s) also warmed my heart. IMHO you're both "raising them right". Very Happy

I too am in my 50s, and my kids range from 22-31. They were literally raised on Star Wars. Not only just watching the movies and playing many games, but I once ran all five of my children through the module "Starfall".

My oldest daughter would often bring prospective suitors home and as a family we would play either Lord of the Rings or Star Wars Trivia games. How well they could 'hang' showed not only their fandom, but also often revealed something about their character (as they would routinely be stomped by my nerd family lol). Laughing

Glad to hear that many here are passing things along to the next generation.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> The Rancor Pit Users/Forums Info All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: