The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Help Identifying a Species
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Characters, Droids, and Species -> Help Identifying a Species
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DougRed4
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2023 4:03 pm    Post subject: Help Identifying a Species Reply with quote

Anybody know what the cat-like species in this picture is? [top row, middle]

https://us.zonerama.com/DougsPics1/Photo/1000050758/1002004592
Forceally
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2023 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's Togorian.
DougRed4
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2023 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, it might be. I looked at them (among others) when researching the various feline-type species of SW.
Forceally
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2023 3:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not the Trianii or the Horansi. They take after the tiger and the cheetah/leopard in appearance. The Togorian take after the saber-tooth tiger in my opinion.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2023 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The legs may be jointed wrong to be a Togorian (per Wookieepedia, their legs are back-jointed, ala the hind legs on a dog or cat). Cathar, maybe? The head’s wrong but the leg structure is a better fit.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Forceally
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2023 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had forgotten about the Cathar. The face structure might look like a Cathar, but the Cathar come in brown fur, not white.
DougRed4
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2023 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ended up making it a new species called the Cwatchi.

I did like one of the special abilities that one cat-like species had, where they can acrobatically cut damage from their falls, and that fit perfectly with what I was looking for.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2023 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like a Cathar to me..
IT could also be a Horsani, specifically the Gorvani or Mashi sub-species.
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2023 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love seeing all the identification detective work, but I've read up on all feline sentients and unfortunately some of them are not consistently portrayed in artwork (including even the digitigrade/plantigrade leg difference).

DougRed4 wrote:

I did like one of the special abilities that one cat-like species had, where they can acrobatically cut damage from their falls, and that fit perfectly with what I was looking for.

Is this repurposed fan art? (Looks good, I like it.) There are a lot of feline species in Star Wars, but there is still no harm in just making one up.

In my SWU, I wanted cat people as a PC species but wanted a single stat block with a wide variety of possible appearances, so I created the Felidae, the "missing link" progenitor that many sentient cat species are evolved from. My cat people are technically a genus with 10 species, and some other cat people are offshoots of one of the species ("Near-Felidae")–so each Felidae species looks like an existing species. The Felidae species are interbreedable, so hybrid individuals are possible. When I want a Felidae that doesn't really look like it would be any of the 10 species, then they could be a crossbreed which activates dormant variety genes, so they may or may not resemble the types of their parents.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2023 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If i went that route, i'd kind of do it similar to how World of Darkness had the Bastet.. Each cat "breed", would be its own stat block, with some linkages..
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2023 2:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
If i went that route, i'd kind of do it similar to how World of Darkness had the Bastet.. Each cat "breed", would be its own stat block, with some linkages..

Well, in my case, if I wanted different stat blocks than I could just keep all the separate cat species as options. Part of making them one related genus is to give cat people of any many different possible appearances the same stat block and other species parameters (like height – Gorvan Horansi can be 3m tall and that is too tall for me). All the "near-felidae" cat people look cool so I don't really care what a player wants his cat people PC to look like. I just want to define the attribute and stuff. I gave them the abilities that are most important to me for a cat person.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
DougRed4
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2023 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
I love seeing all the identification detective work, but I've read up on all feline sentients and unfortunately some of them are not consistently portrayed in artwork (including even the digitigrade/plantigrade leg difference).

DougRed4 wrote:

Is this repurposed fan art? (Looks good, I like it.) There are a lot of feline species in Star Wars, but there is still no harm in just making one up.

In my SWU, I wanted cat people as a PC species but wanted a single stat block with a wide variety of possible appearances, so I created the Felidae, the "missing link" progenitor that many sentient cat species are evolved from. My cat people are technically a genus with 10 species, and some other cat people are offshoots of one of the species ("Near-Felidae")–so each Felidae species looks like an existing species. The Felidae species are interbreedable, so hybrid individuals are possible. When I want a Felidae that doesn't really look like it would be any of the 10 species, then they could be a crossbreed which activates dormant variety genes, so they may or may not resemble the types of their parents.

Yes, just reurposed fan art. By the brilliant Daniel Falconer, who did a lot of work over the years for Weta (the Lord of the Rings films, most notably).

Here is some of his art and a fun interview.
Xain Arke
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2023 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That image is Reverendstrone's (Daniel Falconer on SWAG) art of the Fel'cain species that he did as a request from another SWAG member.

Here is the blurb for the species

Quote:
The Fel'cain is a mix of a humanoid, panther, and wolf. They are a fairly primitive culture, of tribal nature. Both male and female wear the banner of their clan. Exposed to the stellar age, the Fel'cain are mostly hired out as mercenaries and bodyguards due to their speed and strength.

There is a female pic of this species too on his SWAG gallery (Along with a lot of other awesome art)

https://www.swagonline.net/index.php/users/reverendstrone
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Characters, Droids, and Species All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: