The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

*** FORUM POSTING GUIDELINES ***
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> The Rancor Pit Users/Forums Info -> *** FORUM POSTING GUIDELINES *** Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dr. Bidlo
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2023 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would like to echo the earlier sentiments. Whill has done an amazing job moderating this forum and sometimes people disagree, but how they do it makes all the difference. It is a difficult job and we are all humans (I assume) with unique perspectives, experiences, and triggers. Thank you for taking on this task and keeping an eternal optimism!
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2023 1:59 am    Post subject: [quote="Member"] [/quote] Reply with quote

Bidlo, thank you! It means a lot to read that.

Site Admin wrote:
(3) Keep it tidy. Before posting a new thread, please read the forum descriptions and post in the most applicable area. Please use the Search function or otherwise look for recent threads on the same topic before posting a new thread or resurrecting an old one. Please do not cross-post the same questions/topics in multiple forums, and please do not duplicate posts in multiple threads or the same thread. Topic drift is normal but if a tangent discussion gets out of hand, you may politely try to steer it back on course or request that a thread be split. (Admins and Mods can split but not merge threads.) Feel free to break up epic mega-posts into multiple posts as you deem appropriate, but please do not post multiple tiny replies just to increase your post-count. (Outside of Administrators and Moderators, the rank titles are just for fun.) When using the quote feature to quote from another post, always maintain who wrote the post you are quoting in the first quote block of your post, unless you are only quoting from the post appearing immediately above yours. If you are quoting multiple other users in a single post, always maintain each user in the first quote block for each user. It is a best practice when using the quote button that you edit the quote text in your reply to only include what you are replying to, especially for longer posts. Please do not post images with the [Img] tags that are greater than 750 pixels wide - Instead just post a URL link to a larger image. In the same regard, do not post very long URLs that stretch the page horizontally – Please either remove unnecessary aspects of the URL to shorten it, or use the [URL] tags with a short text description (the second option that appears when you hover your cursor over the [URL] tag button). Please spell check your thread titles.

I reordered sentences in this guideline, but the only new part is in blue. I had to add this because of a recent increase in some users vaguely quoting other posts without maintaining the identity of the quoted user and several posts later, so it was not immediately clear who they were quoting. I had to go through the thread myself and edit references into posts so the conversation made more sense.

Below is an example of what is expected. Orange is you, blue is the first member you are quoting, and red is the second member you are quoting. No colors are needed in your posts–these are only colored here for example clarity)...

BlueLeader wrote:
Text block 1

Reply 1

Quote:
Text block 2

Reply 2

Quote:
Text block 3

Reply 3

RedTwo wrote:
Text block 1

Reply 4

Quote:
Text block 2

Reply 5

Quote:
Text block 3

Reply 6

If you click a post's Quote button, that puts identified quote tags into your post draft. If you want to reply to multiple posts, you can copy the quote text from the first post from your post draft, go Back to the thread, click Quote on the next post, then in that post draft make some space and paste the first post. Rinse and repeat as needed. To break up a quote block in your draft, just cut the end tag and paste it to the end of the first partial quote block, then add Quote tags for every subsequent partial quote block, etc.

If you want to use two windows/tabs to copy and paste text as needed (what I suspect some of you do), you still can do it that way, just manually edit at least the first partial quote block start tag for each member you are quoting to include what will turn it into an identifying quote block. You are just adding a ="UserName" in the right place.

You are welcome to use identifying quote tags for every partial quote block (my usual preference), so doing it only for the first block of each member is just the bare minimum. Below is the code for the above example:

Code:
[quote="BlueLeader"]Text block 1[/quote]
Reply 1

[quote]Text block 2[/quote]
Reply 2

[quote]Text block 3[/quote]
Reply 3

[quote="RedTwo"]Text block 1[/quote]
Reply 4

[quote]Text block 2[/quote]
Reply 5

[quote]Text block 3[/quote]
Reply 6

Thank you.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2023 1:59 am    Post subject: Re: Keep it civil. Reply with quote

SITE ADMIN wrote:
Please do not engage in name-calling and personal attacks.

Some more nuance I never thought I'd have to spell out... The above even applies to cases where someone has self-identified as something. That is theirs to own, but not yours to throw back at them. Let me try to give an example...

I grew up in a low income family. My dad was old-fashioned and felt that my mom having a job would make him look bad, so my mom wasn't allowed to work and my dad's one fast food restaurant manager job had to support a family of four. Sharing this does not mean other people can say, "You're only saying X because you grew up poor" even if they add, "I grew up poor too" and especially if they add, "I've risen above the mentality that you never have."

Please let me know if you have any questions.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> The Rancor Pit Users/Forums Info All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to: