The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Posting Pictures on this Site
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> The Rancor Pit Users/Forums Info -> Posting Pictures on this Site
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DougRed4
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2023 6:17 pm    Post subject: Posting Pictures on this Site Reply with quote

Would anyone be able to explain how one might go about posting images on this site?

I've done so before, but every time it is like pulling teeth and extremely difficult. It's probably a precaution against spam or something, but - try as I might - I find it quite difficult to do so.

On another thread, CRMcNeill suggested a site called zonerama. I tried using that site, but even after making an account, I can't figure out a way to post images here. After about an hour of trying one thing after the other, I am giving up in frustration and reaching out to the community here to hopefully provide some guidance.

CRMcNeill wrote:
You shouldn’t need an account. Just make sure to use “Direct Link”, not “Link”.

Then use the Img button above (making sure to remove any spaces).

First off, you do need an account there to be able to upload images. If we're not using uploaded images, then how/why are we using the zonerama site?

Also, I am unable - anywhere on that site - to find a way to do a 'Direct Link' or a 'Link'.

And using the Img button above (on the Rancor Pit site) doesn't work for me either. It doesn't work if I write out the "[img]http://image_url[/img]" or click "(alt+p)" or click the tab above with the letters "Img"
Inquisitor1138
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2023 9:44 pm    Post subject: test Reply with quote

Test

Code:
Test
[img]https://assets-cloud.enjin.com/users/107724/pics/original/4212146.jpg[/img]

This seems to work on my end...
Is the file extension (i.e. .jpg/.png) in the url? Is the url a very long one with a lot of code? These are the most common problems my friends have had.
Any platform that allows users to upload images & create image galleries, should provide a method (direct link/url) to share those images.
Bounty Hunting is a Complicated Profession... Wouldn't you agree?
Game Mastering is a Complicated Profession... Wouldn't you agree?
Count Dooku: Your swords, please. We don't want to make a mess of things in front of the Chancellor.
Inquisitor1138
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2023 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[img]https://us.zonerama.com/DougsPics1/Photo/1000050758/1002004592[/img]

zonerama is garbage. it is user unfriendly, does not allow direct Links to images, instead only shares links to the pages where the image can be viewed & downloaded.
This drives traffic to their site but it's terrible for most users.
i suspect this has something to do with how they make their money.

I am currently in early stages of migrating from enjin to guildtag, but i am still searching for the best option to create multiple galleries, as i have with enjin.
At enjin i have dozens of galleries, hundreds of images.
guildtag, presently, is 1 gallery per user.

PeopleMoverPersonnelTransport.jpg

Code:
PeopleMoverPersonnelTransport.jpg
[img]https://assets-cloud.enjin.com/users/107724/pics/original/4212149.jpg[/img]

http://d6holocron.com/wiki/index.php/PeopleMover_Personnel_Transport
Bounty Hunting is a Complicated Profession... Wouldn't you agree?
Game Mastering is a Complicated Profession... Wouldn't you agree?
Count Dooku: Your swords, please. We don't want to make a mess of things in front of the Chancellor.
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2023 11:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Posting Pictures on this Site Reply with quote

I'm sorry that there is currently no built-in way to upload images directly to the Rancor Pit.

Many file sharing sites will give you a link to a web page on their site that has the image on it. I'm guessing the site you were recommended is doing that. You can share the url to the image, but that url will not work in the IMG tags on this site because it isn't a direct image link. Anymore they make it almost impossible to get a direct link to the image itself. It is an anti-hotlinking feature, because sharing images here that are hosted on another site uses that site's bandwidth when they are viewed here.

Let's test to make sure that you the IMG tags do work for you. Please copy this url and post a new reply in this thread, using this url in IMG tags to see if it shows the image in the post. Make sure there are no spaces on either side of the URL.

https://rancorpit.com/forums/images/avatars/gallery/_StarWars/johnd.gif
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
DougRed4
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2023 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That seemed to have worked. Maybe I just need to try a few of these and find a good site for hosting images.

Thanks, all.
pakman
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2023 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I only recently found postimates - from someone here on the pit!

I have only used it a couple of times, but here it is ;

https://postimages.org/

After you upload an image, it has various links you can test out to use it here.
DougRed4
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2023 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll have to try Postimages again. It never seems to remember my password (so I have to change it every time).
pakman
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2023 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DougRed4 wrote:
I'll have to try Postimages again. It never seems to remember my password (so I have to change it every time).

I did not have a password or account....

I just drop images on the home page...

then I select thumbnail for forum....

DougRed4
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2023 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe that's the key. I just went back to it (got in with my password after a few attempts) and it only seems to have 3 of my pictures, even though I've uploaded many things there.

Being able to go back and access your images again later (like you used to be able to do with Photobucket or other image hosting sites) would have been nice, but I suppose it's too much to ask nowadays.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> The Rancor Pit Users/Forums Info All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: