The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

The Mandalorian [Spoilers Allowed]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> General Star Wars -> The Mandalorian [Spoilers Allowed] Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 30, 31, 32, 33  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KageRyu
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2023 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forceally wrote:
I didn't see the episode, but I read an article on my smartphone about a new character that was introduced - a pirate leader. I looked at the picture of this individual. What did they do - base the guy's appearance after The Grinch?

Yeah he kinda looked like the Grinch with a seaweed beard to me. I was half expecting him to sound more like Davey Jones from PotC. I still can't believe the had the space pirates say "Avast!"
*shudders*

DougRed4 wrote:
The fight with the crocodile monster was really cool. Cool

Yes, I had initially thought it to be part of the initiation ceremony (as though they had it on that beach planning for the beast) but then it became clear that nope, it was not expected.
Mamatried
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2023 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OMG the beginning really fooled me. I though for a moment that the kid getting the helment was Din
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2023 10:36 pm    Post subject: "The Apostate" Reply with quote

Ugh. I'm not going to bother going into everything wrong with the episode, because I can't think of a way of wording it without coming off like a bashy hater. My jealousy of fans enjoying this series continues.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Forceally
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2023 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KageRyu wrote:
Forceally wrote:
I didn't see the episode, but I read an article on my smartphone about a new character that was introduced - a pirate leader. I looked at the picture of this individual. What did they do - base the guy's appearance after The Grinch?

Yeah he kinda looked like the Grinch with a seaweed beard to me. I was half expecting him to sound more like Davey Jones from PotC. I still can't believe the had the space pirates say "Avast!"
*shudders*

I just thought of another explanation - they brought the Swamp Thing to Star Wars.
TauntaunScout
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2023 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Watched it. It's got a few things (Space Pirates of the Caribbean Franchise, totally redundant conversation with the armorer) wrong with it but it's all stuff I can live with.

A lot of stuff in it had no real point. Yup, IG-11 is still gone! Not sure why we needed that scene. Maybe Disney said they had to put Babu Frik into the show to sell toys in theme park gift shops. But that's kinda the show, all along! The plot has always been pure video-game: "I will help you, Mando, but first you must defeat this monster!". And it works! It's ok that the plot is pure video game because they pull it off with good design and acting.

It's got other plot to it that keeps the little monster-hunts tied together and it's got enough depth of design to pull it off. It's primarily a sound and picture show, but it's not flash-over-substance. It's way beyond just showing bigger monsters and louder explosions. I feel like any frame of it, you could hang on your wall and it would be a beautiful picture to just have there. The same is not true of say, Avatar.

I know there are those who will say without a good story that stuff doesn't matter but I turn it around and say, for the medium, the sound and images can matter more than the story. King Lear is a way better story than this, but I'd rather watch this, than watch a bunch of bad actors do a low budget King Lear any day.
ThrorII
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2023 10:02 pm    Post subject: Re: "The Apostate" Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
Ugh. I'm not going to bother going into everything wrong with the episode, because I can't think of a way of wording it without coming off like a bashy hater. My jealousy of fans enjoying this series continues.

Same here. I have a list that I don't want to start a b!tch session with....
KageRyu
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2023 12:53 am    Post subject: Re: "The Apostate" Reply with quote

Mamatried wrote:
OMG the beginning really fooled me. I though for a moment that the kid getting the helment was Din

Me too. I really thought it was a flash back.

Whill wrote:

I wouldn't mind hearing your thoughts. If for no other reason than maybe to not feel like the only curmudgeon frustrated by some of the choices D+ continues to make with the franchise.
Whill

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2023 9:04 pm    Post subject: Re: "The Apostate" Reply with quote

KageRyu wrote:
Whill wrote:

I wouldn't mind hearing your thoughts.

Thanks for being interested, but I watched it last week. Putting my thoughts down would require me to rewatch the episode and put some effort into elucidation that I am not really feeling right now.

Quote:
If for no other reason than maybe to not feel like the only curmudgeon frustrated by some of the choices D+ continues to make with the franchise.

I don't know if I could really help with that. I'm old but I can't own being a bad-tempered curmudgeon, at least when it comes to the current franchise. For one, I've already put a lot of effort into arguing that Star Wars has changed, not me. I admit I would have gone nuts for the DT if I had seen it as a little kid, but as a WEG-playing teen or older, I feel would have had a nearly identical reaction to it that I do now.

And significantly, it isn't all or nothing. I don't have a pre-Disney/post-Disney divide line in my fandom. I loved Rogue One and Solo. Yes, even the much maligned, box office disappointment, Solo. During that Kessel Run sequence of my first theatrical viewing, I was literally on the edge of my seat with tears in my eyes, giant goofy space creature and all - That's cinema! Ron Howard saved it, and the young Han actor totally nailed my fave Harrison Ford and Star Wars character. I don't know any real curmudgeons who praise Solo like I do. Neither RO or Solo were perfect, but neither were any of six Lucas SW films. And Andor did something completely original for SW, and it was masterful. I loved it.

I enjoyed TM Season 1 and feel it was well-made, despite the stupid timeline it takes place in. Season 2 jumped the shark, and TBoBF was internally nonsensical in many ways. The first episode of TM S3 just felt like more of the same.

The only thing I might have to confront feeling somewhat curmudgeonish about is the D6 game system being the best one for Star Wars. An old member here who I am still in contact with still plays SW but not any published system. He uses Savage Worlds for it and says it is better than D6 for Star Wars. A long time friend of mine going back to the official WEG forum is also a Savage World fan (but running non-StarWars games with it). He is in a public Savage Worlds Fb group and doesn't know that Fb always shows me his posts for some reason (I have never liked or commented on any). One of them was how he hates the fact that some gamers are unwilling to consider that Savage Worlds is better than their preferred system so there can never be a good conversation about it. Well, I bought Savage Worlds and I've been reading it. It's ok so far but I can't imagine it being better than D6, at least for Star Wars but maybe for other games too. Am I one of the people he was lamenting? Is he hypocritically the same way but for any system other than Savage Worlds? But I am only really acknowledging my knee-jerk against the idea other systems being better than D6 for Star Wars. I'm not bad-tempered about it to others, even thought I react with an unexpressed WTF.

I have created a homebrew SW game based on D&D B/X, ran it, and played it. I have played WotC SW Saga Edition. I have played FFG SW and ran FFG SW Beginner Game. I've tried them and they are not even in the same galaxy as D6. I'd be willing to play a single adventure of Savage Worlds SW to try it out. No, SW D6 is not perfect and that's why I tweak it to make it better. I'm willing to consider adopting mechanical innovations from other systems, but I admit I'm not really willing to even seriously consider abandoning D6 for a whole other system. That's just crazy talk.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
KageRyu
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2023 11:58 pm    Post subject: Re: "The Apostate" Reply with quote

Whill wrote:

Thanks for being interested, but I watched it last week. Putting my thoughts down would require me to rewatch the episode and put some effort into elucidation that I am not really feeling right now.

Fair enough. I am just always interested in hearing view points. comparing notes if you will. I know there are things we don't agree on, but there are things we do.

Quote:
And significantly, it isn't all or nothing. I don't have a pre-Disney/post-Disney divide line in my fandom. I loved Rogue One and Solo. Yes, even the much maligned, box office disappointment, Solo.

You mistake me. I do not have a hard Pre/Post Disney line either. I did not like 2 of the three PT movies, and the third was borderline for me. I do not hate everything Disney has done with SW, but there are many choices they have made across multiple movie and shows I find...detracting.

Quote:
During that Kessel Run sequence of my first theatrical viewing, I was literally on the edge of my seat with tears in my eyes, giant goofy space creature and all - That's cinema! Ron Howard saved it, and the young Han actor totally nailed my fave Harrison Ford and Star Wars character. I don't know any real curmudgeons who praise Solo like I do. Neither RO or Solo were perfect, but neither were any of six Lucas SW films. And Andor did something completely original for SW, and it was masterful. I loved it.

I also liked Solo, and mostly liked Rogue One. These were two of the better movies to come out of Disney involving the franchise. Yes, this was a good sequence, very Space Opera and very much in the style and feel of a number of elements from the OT. I'll admit I was dissappointed that they went the version of the calculated jump routes, the maelstrom, and such, and not the route of Solo was just bragging and Obi Wan dismissed it... but onscreen they did their choice justice and made it look great.

Quote:
I enjoyed TM Season 1 and feel it was well-made, despite the stupid timeline it takes place in. Season 2 jumped the shark, and TBoBF was internally nonsensical in many ways. The first episode of TM S3 just felt like more of the same.

I also really liked the first season of Mandalorian. I wanted to like the second and Book of Bobba Fett, but overall felt meh.... There were things I liked in Both, a few scenes, some nice creatures or locations, but there was an increasing amount of drag and just some nonsense. I was supremely dissappointed in Obi Wan...despite really wanting to like it. I came away from it with nothing. I do like The Bad Batch overall, and I liked most of the Clone Wars Cartoon and Rebels. I know you dislike the animated styles. I did not care for Andor - while it had some nice ideas, I did not like the pacing of it, the mood, and certain other aspects.

Quote:
The only thing I might have to confront feeling somewhat curmudgeonish about is the D6 game system being the best one for Star Wars. An old member here who I am still in contact with still plays SW but not any published system. He uses Savage Worlds for it and says it is better than D6 for Star Wars. A long time friend of mine going back to the official WEG forum is also a Savage World fan (but running non-StarWars games with it). He is in a public Savage Worlds Fb group and doesn't know that Fb always shows me his posts for some reason (I have never liked or commented on any). One of them was how he hates the fact that some gamers are unwilling to consider that Savage Worlds is better than their preferred system so there can never be a good conversation about it. Well, I bought Savage Worlds and I've been reading it. It's ok so far but I can't imagine it being better than D6, at least for Star Wars but maybe for other games too.

This has my attention for a variety of reasons. My good friend from high school, who I believe I have mentioned in other posts, has said a lot about Savage Worlds for the last few years. Learning of a series of Robotech Books, a Flash Gordon setting, and Rifts for it, I have thought of checking it out (sadly I have been on a waiting list for a print copy of the Core Savage World's Adventure Edition for over a year now). I had toyed with starting a thread in the Miscellaneous forum asking for thoughts on converting SW to savage worlds, but wanted to wait until I have the book and have read it a bit (which may never happen at the rate things are going). My friend has talked a lot about the damage and combat system in regards to comparing it to Rifts/Robotech from Palladium (we both started out in AD&D and Palladium games so we both have a frame of common reference there).

Quote:
Am I one of the people he was lamenting? Is he hypocritically the same way but for any system other than Savage Worlds? But I am only really acknowledging my knee-jerk against the idea other systems being better than D6 for Star Wars. I'm not bad-tempered about it to others, even thought I react with an unexpressed WTF.

I have created a homebrew SW game based on D&D B/X, ran it, and played it. I have played WotC SW Saga Edition. I have played FFG SW and ran FFG SW Beginner Game. I've tried them and they are not even in the same galaxy as D6. I'd be willing to play a single adventure of Savage Worlds SW to try it out. No, SW D6 is not perfect and that's why I tweak it to make it better. I'm willing to consider adopting mechanical innovations from other systems, but I admit I'm not really willing to even seriously consider abandoning D6 for a whole other system. That's just crazy talk.

I very much understand. I have, from time to time, moved away from D6 to other games and systems, but I keep coming back to D6. For a SW game, I feel from those I played D6 did it best so far, but granted I missed the chance to play the FFG games. If there were an official Savage Worlds edition of Star Wars to be released, I would feel compelled to give it a try - I have heard a lot of good things about the system.
Whill

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2023 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've thought about making a thread for Savage Worlds in general, just to maybe get other opinions about the game system. I know two former Star Wars D6 fans who rave about Savage Worlds, so I thought maybe some here have some experience of it too.

KageRyu wrote:
I also liked Solo... Yes, this was a good sequence, very Space Opera and very much in the style and feel of a number of elements from the OT. I'll admit I was dissappointed that they went the version of the calculated jump routes, the maelstrom, and such, and not the route of Solo was just bragging and Obi Wan dismissed it...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o6XERmXsP-U&t=67s

Sure, Solo could have been about something else, but it had to be about something, and the event that Han made it a point to brag about is not a bad choice. And I think you are are forgetting some of the subtle genius of Solo...

Quote:
HAN (bragging to stranger): Just did the Kessel Run in 12 parsecs.
CHEWIE objects
HAN: Not if you round down, buddy.

This means that they actually made the Kessel Run in between 12 and 13 parsecs. "12" was rounding down. Years later, Han tells Obi-Wan that the Falcon made the Kessel Run in "less than 12 parsecs". Han is still lying to Obi-Wan. Solo makes it clear that while it was based on a true event, Han was exaggerating the feat. And nothing changes Obi-Wan's skeptical reaction to hearing that. Is he skeptical of the specific number? Maybe. Is he skeptical that Han had even done it at all? Maybe. Solo doesn't change that. Obi-Wan was holed up in the desert for two decades so he missed a lot. The point is, even after Solo, Han is still being dishonest about the ship's speed and Obi-Wan still doesn't believe him in ANH.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
DougRed4
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2023 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have played (and run) Savage Worlds (though the older edition, not this newest one) and it is a good system. Very easy and smooth to run.

I've liked each and every one of the newer SW movies, some much more than others. I too really liked Solo and Rogue One, and though I enjoyed the DT, there were a lot of things that annoyed me about them, too. Overall, though, I feel like they got most of the tone and feel of SW right.

I'm not a fan of the animation either. I watched all of Rebels, and often the stories were solid, but it's tough for me to get past the look of it.

The Mandalorian has been consistently great at capturing the feel of the OT, IMHO, even better than anything else Disney has produced (I haven't seen Andor yet, though).

Last edited by DougRed4 on Wed Mar 29, 2023 12:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
Sutehp
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2023 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DougRed4 wrote:
I have played (and run) Savage Worlds (though the older edition, not this newest one) and it is a good system. Very easy and smooth to run.

I've liked each and every one of the newer SW movies, some much more than others. I too really liked Solo and Rogue One, and though I enjoyed the DT, there were a lot of things that annoyed me about them, too. Overall, though, I feel like they got most of the tone and feel of SW right.

I'm not a fan of the animation either. I watched all of Rebels, and often the stories were solid, but it's tough for me to get past the look of it.

The Mandalorian has been consistently great at capturing the feel of the OT, IMHO, even better than anything else Disney has produced (I haven't Andor yet, though).

For the DT, I thought TFA was too derivative of ANH when I walked out of the theatre, but I learned to like it more as time went on. I liked TLJ quite a bit as it did what it set out to do: subvert my expectations i.e. it didn't turn out like I thought it would (but then TLJ was foreshadowing that it would exactly that during the whole movie).

But TRoS was an absolute sh!tshow from Minute 1, however. Finding out in the opening crawl that Palpatine was resurrected was a narratively incompetent decision. Then seeing Poe hyperspace-skip the Falcon six times in a row when it was established in TFA that Han Solo, the best pilot in the galaxy, could only do it once without killing himself by slamming into a planet immediately told me that not only was TRoS was going to spiral into a vortex that would suck donkey balls, the vortex itself would be made of a plethora of donkey balls that suck. Yes, I know that the male gametes of Equus asinus are anatomically incapable of creating a vacuum, but TRoS still managed to accomplish it anyway. The badness of TRoS is quite impressive from that standpoint.

I like (but not love) the Mandalorian. I'm thoroughly enjoying the Bad Batch and I loved Rebels. The Obi-wan Kenobi miniseries was okay. Not great, but okay.

Doug, above all else, you have to watch Andor. It has been described (and justifiably in my opinion) as the best piece of Star Wars created by Disney. It's not flawless (but what ever is?) but it's a great story with a theme and moral perfectly fit for our times: there's no hiding from the fight against fascism.
TauntaunScout
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2023 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good episode this week. Pretty much Andorlorian.
Mamatried
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2023 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the last episode showed quite the force of TIE Intercptors, and "toon many to be a warlord"

Could this be building up to a possible Thrawn faction and if so what about Ezra.

Watching Rebels I fet he would be more prone to fall to the dark side without giudance. he was still Young and still needed traning when he and Thrwn were swept away.

Could Ezra return as a dark jedi?
Whill

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2023 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ezra and Sabine have already been confirmed to appear in Ahsoka. It is almost certain Thrawn will make his live action debut at some point in the Mandoverse. TM certainly could be building up for a reveal to a Thrawn-lead faction.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> General Star Wars All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 30, 31, 32, 33  Next
Page 31 of 33

Jump to: