The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Power Conversion
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech -> Power Conversion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2023 12:36 pm    Post subject: Power Conversion Reply with quote

A question occurred to me recently regarding power conversion in the SWU. Obviously, reactors in-setting generate far more power than anything we here on earth can conceive of, usually in the form of advanced fusion or hypermatter reactions, but there's never been a clear explanation of how the power released in said reactor is converted into actual, usable electricity. Even the most advanced modern reactors use steam pressure to power turbine-driven generators, which have nowhere near the power generation capacity needed for the setting.

I asked this question over on the Fractalsponge Discord and got a pretty cool answer. There is a thing called Magnetohydrodynamic Generation, whereby if a plasma stream is passed through a magnetic field, it generates electricity, using no moving parts. Apparently, it has the potential to vastly outstrip the electrical power generation capability of steam-based reactors. Also, you could literally pipe an entire ship with plasma conduits for power distribution, with solid electrical wiring being connected to the conduits at various points to run all of its various systems.

I don't really have much in the way of game-applicable uses for this at the moment, but I thought it was a cool concept to pass on.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index

Last edited by CRMcNeill on Tue Mar 14, 2023 3:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
DougRed4
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2023 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[said in a whiny voice]: But I was gonna go to Tosche Station to pick up some Power Conversion! Laughing
pakman
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2023 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very cool stuff, thanks for sharing.

If anything - it can lead to better descriptions for damage tables and other side effects. Like "reactor damage - plasma leak causing secondary damage to area " or some such.

Or maybe for less severe damage "Magneto Containment damage - safety devices reduce power to all ship systems in half" - all energy based ship system at -3D or something like that.

or for bad dmage "Plasma Stream Containment Breach" reactor will explode doing X energy damage in d6 rounds.

Or more details on cargo and spare parts "Reactor Power converters" or other ideas....

(of course, there should be crate going to tosche station as DougRed4 suggested).

Stuff like that.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2023 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pakman wrote:
Stuff like that.

Indeed. Viewed in this light, a Power Convertor could be a section of Plasma Conduit equipped with power trunking to allow solid power cables to be plugged into.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: