The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Antagonizer-Class Corvette (Concept Discussion)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech -> Antagonizer-Class Corvette (Concept Discussion)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2022 10:31 pm    Post subject: Antagonizer-Class Corvette (Concept Discussion) Reply with quote

The discussion about teleportation in the Terminator crossover topic got me thinking about something. I was discussing how a teleporter could be used as a plot device to explain why an enemy boss villain could escape seemingly certain death and return to trouble the PC heroes again and again. The concept works particularly well with a Dark Side Force Adept, as some facets of the ship best function with a Force User.

Here's the basic description of what I'm thinking:
    -A Corvette, in the 120-150 meter range, stealth-coated black, appropriately ominous dagger shape.

-Fast (Space 7, x1/2 Hyperdrive), which allows it to keep up with or outrun pretty much anything the PCs will be using.

-Minimal or no organic crew. Instead, the ship is operated by a brainwashed Force Sensitive who is hard-wired into the ship's systems. This hybrid being is still capable of using Force powers like Telepathy, Danger Sense, Instinctive Astrogation, Track Hyperspace Trail and other useful low-level powers.

-Teleporter. Used to insert/extract the villain from orbit, especially if he's in eminent danger of death. Can also be used to board space stations or ships if their shields are down.

-Cloaking Device, which insures that the ship is effectively undetectable.
In summary, a ship that combines some of the more advanced tech ideas I've come up with into a single platform that will have the PCs tearing their hair out trying to figure out how the boss villain always seems to be one step ahead of them, or always manages to survive seemingly certain death.

And because it's a ship specifically made for the story's antagonist, it's called the Antagonizer-Class.

Anyway, just wanted to get that out there.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index

Last edited by CRMcNeill on Sun Feb 12, 2023 12:14 am; edited 1 time in total
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2022 2:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What happens, if the pcs some how get aboard?
Inquisitor1138
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2022 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:

A) It triggers the auto-destruct, killing the entire party. GAME OVER.

B) They get trapped & jettisoned into space. GAME OVER.

C) They get beamed into solid rock. GAME OVER.

D) They get their atoms scattered across the galaxy. GAME OVER.

E) All of the above. GAME OVER.

F) Something Else...
Bounty Hunting is a Complicated Profession... Wouldn't you agree?
Game Mastering is a Complicated Profession... Wouldn't you agree?
Count Dooku: Your swords, please. We don't want to make a mess of things in front of the Chancellor.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2022 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:

If you as the GM allow this to happen, then the consequences are on you.

Inquisitor1138 wrote:
A) It triggers the auto-destruct, killing the entire party. GAME OVER.

B) They get trapped & jettisoned into space. GAME OVER.

C) They get beamed into solid rock. GAME OVER.

D) They get their atoms scattered across the galaxy. GAME OVER.

E) All of the above. GAME OVER.

F) Something Else...

Exactly.

Inquisitor1138
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2023 10:30 pm    Post subject: i had some disturbing ideas... Reply with quote

i had some disturbing ideas...

Dark Thought One:
The ship's main computer is a supercomputer (Mandalorian, Gree, Kwa, Rakata or other exotic manufacture). But that isn't the strangest thing...
Instead of direct linkage(s) to the other computer systems the ship has, there is a massive 'network', acting as a buffer, connecting the main computer to the other computers. After successful comp p/r & investigation rolls, the PCs/Party discover the 'network' is a massive RESTRAINING BOLT on steroids. The supercomputer houses an advanced A.I. that is enslaved...
The A.I. could be your galaxy's William Wallace. Or humanoid killer Murder Hobot...

Dark Thought Two:
More than one was built, and now one has Gone Rogue...
Bounty Hunting is a Complicated Profession... Wouldn't you agree?
Game Mastering is a Complicated Profession... Wouldn't you agree?
Count Dooku: Your swords, please. We don't want to make a mess of things in front of the Chancellor.
Sutehp
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2023 12:45 am    Post subject: Re: i had some disturbing ideas... Reply with quote

Inquisitor1138 wrote:
i had some disturbing ideas...
Dark Thought Two:
More than one was built, and now one has Gone Rogue...

This reminds me of the Dark Fleet (an A.I.-controlled space fleet that went rogue) from the Lost Fleet novels by Jack Campbell.

The teleporters are Star Trek, the brainwashed hybrid cyborg is totally Battlestar Galactica (reimagined), and the rogue A.I. is (in addition to the above) also Terminator-esque.

Yeah, this campaign would be one hell of a crossover. I love it!
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2023 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem with a networked AI is two-fold: 1) networking is pretty rare in the SWU, especially when it comes to putting a droid consciousness in charge of a lot of military equipment, and 2) I already have the Cylon Hybrid crossover wired into the ship as its AI, which allows the "AI" to make use of Force powers, as well as commune via Projective/Receptive Telepathy with both the Sith Agent using the ship and their Force using superiors.

Argentsaber
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2023 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This reminds me a LOT of the Babylon 5 Shadow Ships. I highly suggest that series for ideas along this line of thinking.. particularly "Ship of Tears" (Episode 14 in season 3). It's nearly the same thing, a powerful telepath cybernetically altered to function as kind of an odd CPU for a starship (admittedly a much bigger one).
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2023 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are similarities, certainly, but big differences in function. The Shadows were using telepaths defensively to counter the telepaths of the younger races. It was demonstrated in a previous episode that telepaths could “jam” Shadow vessels by using telepathy to affect their human “pilots”. This concept is more about allowing a Force user to directly interface with the CPU of his personal ship.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: