The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Willpower to reduce Damage penalties.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> Willpower to reduce Damage penalties.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mamatried
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2023 1:18 pm    Post subject: Willpower to reduce Damage penalties. Reply with quote

I was thinking about cinemetics, where the hero takes quite the beating but goes on fighting almost as if no penalties at all.

I was thinking how to emulate this better and came up with this.
Use Willpwer rolls to reduce the Penalty only for Wounds.

Garry the gunslinger is wounded , normally this would knock him down and -1D on all rolls until healed.

The new version is to allow a Heroic Willpower Roll to negate the penalty for the encounter.
When the encounter is over the character is fatigued and all healing rolls are at +2 to difficuty.

A Stunned character can roll a Difficult Willpower to negate the -1D for the round.

Only Stun and Wounded will allow a Willpower roll to reduce/negate penalties temporary.

Incapacitated can make a Heroic +10 Willpower to suffer the effects of wounded for STAMIA D amount of rounds.

Garry would have been knocked out, but he mamages to focus and stagger a little before running away ( -1D becuse wounded)
Incapacitated does not reduce Dice Penalties, but will allow to not be incapcitated for STAMINA D number of Rounds.

All Actual Damage is calculated nomallly and any subsequent injurues will give +5 to the rolls upto and including Incaptacitated status.

This allows IMO a good system for soaking, and can let players take as much damage as Frak Castle and still hit the targets and still stand.

Any thoughts about letting willpower reduce the penalties of damage ?

I was also thiniing allowing willpower to be used to stabilize as well, you can maybe roll something very high and survivw what would normally be fatal, but I have not come that far yet.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2023 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would that be an ACTION to roll will for that?
pakman
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2023 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do something similar in my house rules ...

Without going into a ton of details - (mine is a bit more detailed than this...)

The accumulated level of penalty, sets the difficulty level for the roll.
1D = Very easy,
2D = Easy etc.
3D = Moderate etc.

Then roll your willpower against that difficulty level = to resist the effect.

If successful, they can ignore the condition penalties until the end of the next round. For each difficulty level they roll higher* - it lasts one more round.

Example: Sid the Mercenary is wounded twice, and has a penalty of -2D to all actions. He wants to make a willpower check to try and overcome this. The GM sets the difficulty at Easy, since that is the second difficulty level, and Sid is at -2D.

If successful, sid will not suffer the penalty for the remainder of the current round, or next. If Sid rolls well enough to hit a Moderate difficulty level - he can resist for an additional round.

If this seems too easy - then penalize the willpower check by the modifier - if you are -2D to all actions, then you would have to make a EASY willpower check, but you are rolling at -2D etc.

I also let characters use this to attempt to stay up when incapacitated or worse - it allows for a round or two of that cinematic moment or getting out the last words, hitting the detonator or whatever dramatic moment there may be before collapsing...

I call it a SAVE - which represents making a check that is not an action.
D6 calls such things Free Actions (rolling for initiative, resisting damage, etc.). Each GM should decide how they want to model it.

* There is a concept from various later versions of D6 that if a character rolls higher, they get better results - the more successful they were.
this is also a common house rule.

There are different ways to measure this success.
Some use math, say every 5 points - gets you something.
I use each extra difficulty level the roll would have met - so if you only needed EASY, but rolled well enough for Moderate, you got one extra level of success.

Then this extra measure can be used in determining "how successful" a character is - if there are potential results beyond a basic "you did it", as simple pass fail actions may not qualify.

Other versions of d6 call this either Result points, or result value, or Effect Value, or in savage worlds (a game very compatible with d6) it is called a Raise. In my own house rules - I call it measure of success.

In the context of this ability (using willpower to temporarily resist damage) each measure of success over the required level, grants an additional round to the effect.

I have found this to be an incredibly useful concept, as it allows for all sorts of skill checks or force powers to have a built in scaling mechanism
Mamatried
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2023 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:

it would be an action yes, that makes most sense, it is something you choose to do, nore than someting that happens, so I would say yes it is an Actions.
The Willpower roll
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2023 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mamatried wrote:
garhkal wrote:

it would be an action yes, that makes most sense, it is something you choose to do, nore than someting that happens, so I would say yes it is an Actions.
The Willpower roll

That doesn't make sense. If it is an action, then MAPs apply. So if the Willpower roll is successful, you eliminate the penalty from being wounded but then take on the same penalty from the MAP of the Willpower roll so you are no better off. If the roll fails, then you are worse off because you still have the wounded penalty and now have a 1D map from the unsuccessful Willpower attempt. Or am I misunderstanding your proposed rule?
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2023 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You'd take the MAP on the WP roll, but IF successful, you no longer HAVE the wound penalty/can act up to stamina # of rounds if incap, before dropping...
DougRed4
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2023 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To me, the rule kind of makes sense, to simulate a cinematic character like John McClane from Die Hard.

But to me it would make more sense to be like a roll for Initiative, where it is something that is automatic - much like a STR roll to resist damage - that does NOT count as an action (and thus does not affect MAPs).
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2023 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But it's NOT an instinctive situation. ITS a Force of will one, which to ME is an action, not a 'free roll'..
DougRed4
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2023 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
But it's NOT an instinctive situation. ITS a Force of will one, which to ME is an action, not a 'free roll'..

Yeah, you make a good point. I can see the logic of it taking one's concentration and thus it causing an action.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2023 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's imo NOT like Con being used to RESIST being conned...
Mamatried
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2023 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I feel that using willpower is something you actively do or attempt to do and this would make it an action.

I take the shot, I make the effort to soak up the injury and move on.

So peronally I can see it be an action
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: