The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Adjustable Power/Damage on all blasters
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech -> Adjustable Power/Damage on all blasters
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mamatried
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2023 9:12 am    Post subject: Adjustable Power/Damage on all blasters Reply with quote

Adjustable power blasters

I have been thinking about the clone wars blaster carbines and rifles, here they have various damage/power output setting based on how many "shots" from the powerpack used pr shot.

This has made think of possible chages to blasters allowing all blaters this ability and making the powerpacks not ammo, but rather charges that are used to produce the blaster bolt.

So a gun that had a powerpack of 50 would be able to shoot 50 times spending one charge pr shot.
This shot is rolled at the normal listed damage, for the defualt blaster pistol this is 4D damage.

Rate of fire determines how many shots the weapon can shoot pr round and pr "adjusted setting" with most pistols having a rof 1 meaning they can shoot one shot pr adjustment.

all repaters are considered to have a rof of 2 unless otherwise listed.

Rifles and carbines usually count as rof 1 unless otherwise listed

All weapons have 2 adjustment settings, and repeaters and rifles/carbines can have 3.

Adjustments are as follows

x2 uses 2 charges pr shot for added damage. Damage increase by +2
x5 uses 5 charges pr shot for added damage. Damage increase by +1D
x10 uses 10 charges pr shot for added damage. Damage increase by 1D+2

this depeletes the powerpack quickly and can cause the weapon to overheat and even break down.

the 50 Shot Powerpack only holds 10 shots with a x5 setting, and each shot offers a risk of weapon breaking.

If the attack fails by 15 the weapon overheats and breaks down. requiring a moderate reapir roll to make it function.
if done in the field or without the propper tools, the difficulty is +5 to the roll

Any thoughts on the concept?
pakman
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2023 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two things;

On your rate of fire: what is your rate of fire with no adjustment?

On the variables power: sounds like extra complexity - more record keeping at best, player abuse at worst.

However, I think the concept of using a technical repair skill to temporarily boost the power of a weapon at the cost of fewer shots but chance to explode might be a fun story option. I had been playing with something like that - and within that context - like the ideas.

But as a perm option - not for my game - but many others may like it.

To each their own....
Mamatried
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2023 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pakman wrote:
Two things;

On your rate of fire: what is your rate of fire with no adjustment?

On the variables power: sounds like extra complexity - more record keeping at best, player abuse at worst.

However, I think the concept of using a technical repair skill to temporarily boost the power of a weapon at the cost of fewer shots but chance to explode might be a fun story option. I had been playing with something like that - and within that context - like the ideas.

But as a perm option - not for my game - but many others may like it.

To each their own....

One shot at NORMAL damage = Charge
Power packs have X charges.
so if using no settings the weapon uses the base/modded from jury rigging etc damage.

only by depleteing more charges pr shot will damage increase. and the ROF indicates how many shots can be shot pr setting avboe normal.

so shooting notmal with no adjusrments used
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2023 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What Pak said. And there already is an existing mechanic in RAW for increasing damage: CPs. I use CRM's auto-fire rules which include the option to increase damage, depending on the weapon.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Esoomian
High Admiral
High Admiral

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2023 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interestingly when I first saw this thread I thought it would be about turning the power down on blasters to limit damage or save ammunition not powering them up to hit harder.

I can definitely imagine a character turning a blaster right down to the point where it is an overpowered flashlight and then spraying away to trick an enemy into being suppressed.

Simply stand closer to the object you wish to view.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: