The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Marvel / MCU
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Miscellanea -> Marvel / MCU Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 9, 10, 11  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2023 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KageRyu wrote:
Yes I do enjoy marvel deeply, and was a huge fan of many of their comics in the early 80's into the early 90's (Xmen was my biggest favorite and the movies were garbage in my opinion).

I collected Uncanny X-Men for a few years in the mid-80s (it went from once monthly to twice monthly during that time). I sold my collection many years ago for a profit. It wasn't my favorite comic series, but it was one of a handful of Marvels I collected (along with Daredevil, Thor, and Marvel Tales reprinting 60s Spider-Man).

As mentioned earlier in this thread, I rank all the X-films (including Deadpool) as meh except one as bleh.

KageRyu wrote:
Quote:
KageRyu wrote:
My one major critique is that all of the wonderfully exotic aliens and scenes where non-human sapient species outnumber just multicolored humanoids that have been missing from Star Wars since Disney took over are all here. It is refreshing to see...but it needs to be brought back to Star Wars (even if they just reuse previous Aliens...bring back all the Aliens).

I'm trying to wrap my head around this. This is really a critique of Disney's handling of Star Wars, not Quantumania, right? You mean Quantumania has more truly alien sapient species instead of a propensity for blue humans and the like, right?

Yes, I was taking a snarky stab at how I feel Disney has managed the Star Wars IP. While there have been some scenes with cool aliens - I feel that overall the majority of the newer content has had far too few of the great aliens that make the Galaxy feel so large. Even reappearances of older aliens.

I feel the decline in cool aliens actually started at the end of Lucas' film saga. RotS was pretty lame as far as cool new aliens. But the PT at least had a lot of the CT aliens appear...

KageRyu wrote:
Many of the "new" aliens in the newer SW material I have found...lacking. There are some cool scenes (loved seeing the Mon Cals in Rogue One) but the presence of large gatherings of diverse aliens seems lacking.

There are actually tons of new aliens in the Disney films. Here is gallery of TFA aliens alone. One thing that Abrams got out of the CT is how new aliens appear in every episode, not noticing or caring that Lucas for the most part maintained a balance of new and existing aliens in each film. Very few existing species appear in the Disney films, and most of the new species they have aren't cool.

And it nerd-rages me that Abrams took one of my favorite species, a cool cantina alien, and removed a unique feature to make a new species. The one-mouthed Rebootithorians do not exist in my SWU. Why not just put an Ithorian in there??

KageRyu wrote:
To me, one of the greatest scenes in the original trilogy is a scene Lucas himself has said in later interviews he hates because of how hokey and unfinished some of the costumes were - that being the Mos Eisley Cantina scene. This scene sold me instantly that we were not dealing with Earth, and that the Galaxy in Star Wars was a huge place inhabited by many space faring aliens. This was, for me, one of the iconic defining scenes of the original franchise - even though in the rest of the movie it is mostly humans

My understanding was that Lucas didn't care for the cantina scene because of the borrowed masks in there, like the two wolfmen. He didn't want anything that had ever appeared in other movies but he ran out of time and money so begrudgingly used some non-StarWars movie masks. I think he is quite pleased with Ithorians and Duros. There were some other shortcuts, like giving Ponda Baba only two eyes instead of four, that I'm sure he was disappointed with. Star Wars could never quite live up to his imagination, but it blew our minds away.

KageRyu wrote:
in ESB ,mostly humans (except the Bounty Hunter scene on the ISD and the ugnaughts and Yoda)

And Chewie, but yeah. Chewie is my fave alien character, but I think of him as a hominid so he's not too far off from human (but further off than near-human though).
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
KageRyu
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2023 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:

And Chewie, but yeah. Chewie is my fave alien character, but I think of him as a hominid so he's not too far off from human (but further off than near-human though).

Yes, Chewie is an alien that appears throughout many of the movies. The only reason I was not specifically mentioning him or counting him is he is a major supporting character and ally of Han.

Even with Shortcuts, like a guy in a space suit, a wolf man mask, or even painting someone a different color, it becomes far less noticeable if you have at least 2-3 really great looking aliens other than main characters mixed in. However a scene like the prison on GoG had sooooo many characters in it, and they were mostly greasepaint and facial putty/appliances...still too close to human to count - it would have been a great place to show off some of the great aliens from various marvel comics of the 70's and 80's. That's just my opinion though.
Whill

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2023 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3 is in theaters now. No one in my family wants to bother with seeing this in the theater, so we will wait until we can see it at home to watch it. If anyone sees it in the theaters, please feel free to talk about it here.

The Secret Invasion D+ series is coming in June, and Loki season 2 is supposed to come this year also but no firm start date for that yet. The next MCU film is The Marvels (sequel to Captain Marvel also featuring Monica Rambeau from WandaVision and Ms. Marvel from Ms. Marvel).
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Sutehp
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2023 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm so stoked for Secret Invasion just for seeing Emilia Clarke join the MCU.

Does The Marvels have a release date set? I still have to catch up on most everything in the MCU since Endgame. (I couldn't get through the first episode of WandaVision when I tried to watch it....)
Whill

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2023 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Marvels is coming in November of this year.

As stated in the thread, the first three episodes of WandaVision are completely skippable. They are each based on a different decade of sitcoms. The 4th episode is where they show the events of the first three episodes in the context of the outside world and begin to explain what the hell is even going on in this series. The recap at the beginning of the 4th episode and the 4th episode itself is enough to catch up and move forward. People rave about the series but I didn't think much of it. It doesn't feel like "Marvel" to me until the final episode, the best one of the series IMO.

WandaVision does set-up Wanda's role in the Doctor Strange sequel, so watching it from the 4th episode on is unfortunately required viewing for understanding Wanda's motivations in that film. However, I think it is worth noting that the director of Multiverse of Madness (Sam Raimi of the original Spider-Man Trilogy fame), refused to watch WandaVision before making his MCU film. I can speculate as to why but doing so here might spoil a surprise in the movie that I'm pretty sure this thread has not already spoiled. Unfortunately, I also felt the movie wasn't that great, but if you like horror than you might like an MCU twist on the genre.

IMO, the best MCU D+ series was Falcon and the Winter Soldier, and the only really good post-Endgame films are Black Widow and the two Spider-Man films. On a somewhat related note, Homecoming and the first four Spider-Man films are currently showing on Disney+.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
DougRed4
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2023 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

See, I thought just the opposite. The start of Wandavision is brilliant, and (like so many other Disney + series) it starts out gangbusters but goes slowly downhill.

My daughter loved Wandavision so much that she's watched every episode literally dozens of times.

Falcon and Winter Soldier was solid, but it too sort of went downhill by the end.

Hawkeye was very good throughout, and maintained a solid consistency.

I only ever watched the first episode of Moon Knight, but have heard it isn't very good (will get back to it eventually).

Loki was good, though quite different from most other MCU stuff.

Ms. Marvel and She-Hulk were solid entries that were worth seeing.

I finally saw Quantumania when it came to Disney + (one of the rare MCU movies I didn't see in the theater). I liked it.

Guardians 3 was a great film. I have a co-worker who is usually extremely critical (he is one of the most pessimistic of viewers I've ever encountered); he raved about how it's one of the best MCU movies ever. It is quite long (2.5 hours), but an important entry (Gunn says some of the surprises were always intended as part of his GotG trilogy).
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2023 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got quantumania on hold at the library. Once GotG3 hits vid i will see it..
Whill

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2023 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For those with Disney+, Quantumania is there now.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2023 1:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Caught quantummania today. No where near as good imo as 1 or 2. BUT still had some decent comedic moments..
Whill

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2023 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
Caught quantummania today. No where near as good imo as 1 or 2. BUT still had some decent comedic moments..

Do you say that because you consider MCU films to be comedies? Or just to emphasize that some of this film's best moments were comedy moments?

Whill wrote:
I find that I no longer have any motivation to update the MCU chronological film order image appearing in this thread.

I updated the OP's proper film viewing order image to include the rest of Phase 4 (I had to add Thor 4 and Black Panther 2). So it now has the entirety of Phase 1-4 films, the first 30 MCU movies. Be sure to clear your browser's cache to see the updated version.

I also updated this MCU timeline post with all the Disney+ shows to date, Quantumania, and more commentary. This will likely be the last time I ever update the film order image, but I will make an effort to periodically update the timeline post with new movies and shows as information on their chronology becomes available.

A look ahead...

Secret Invasion (6 episodes) starts on Disney+ on June 21st.
Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3 (in theaters now) comes to D+ sometime in August.
Loki season 2 (6 episodes) starts on Disney+ on October 6th.
The Marvels comes to theaters November 10th.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Ziz
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2023 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
garhkal wrote:

Do you say that because you consider MCU films to be comedies? Or just to emphasize that some of this film's best moments were comedy moments?

The Ant-Man films in particular are considered the "comedy" entries in the MCU. One of Peyton Reed's (director) demands going in to this one was that he wanted to get away from Ant-Man being the "palate cleanser" that the first two films were, as they followed heavy Avengers/MCU moments - Age Of Ultron and Infinity War. So they tried to trim back the comedy aspects a bit for this film - probably why there's no XCon gang, as that's where a large portion of the comedy was in the first two.
Whill

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2023 1:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ziz wrote:
The Ant-Man films in particular are considered the "comedy" entries in the MCU. One of Peyton Reed's (director) demands going in to this one was that he wanted to get away from Ant-Man being the "palate cleanser" that the first two films were, as they followed heavy Avengers/MCU moments - Age Of Ultron and Infinity War. So they tried to trim back the comedy aspects a bit for this film - probably why there's no XCon gang, as that's where a large portion of the comedy was in the first two.

Interesting perspectives. I never thought about the first two Ant-Man films being "palate cleansers" after Avengers films. I guess so.

Although they are the among the lighter and more comedic MCU films, I'm not sure I agree about Ant-Man being "the comedy entries" of the MCU film series. It seems to me that GotG, at least the first one, was gunning for that title the most. It's just one absurd character after another.

Quantumania was meant to kick off Phase 5 and I did observe that there seemed to be a conscious effort to tone down some of the Ant-Man comedy. But it wasn't totally effective. Case in point: Modok. How could the story arc of one of the most absurd MCU characters be taken seriously while looking like that? A main character implores him not to be a d!ck, so he relents and joins the good guys, then has an uncomfortable weird death scene where he tells Scott he is like a brother and that he thinks he is dying an Avenger. It doesn't work dramatically because it is so silly. It doesn't work comedically because it is not funny. If you want to go comedy than you make Modok funny and don't try to be dramatic with him. If you want to go dramatic, you don't have Modok at all. Was Modok there to make Kang seem more scary and dramatic by comparison? If so, I feel it did more harm than good.

I don't consider any MCU film (not even GotG) to be in the genre of comedy. Sure, they all have comedy in them (some more than others), but they are not comedies per se. They are superhero adventure films, no matter what elements of other genres (and how much) they have in them.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2023 2:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:

Both prior Ant mans, i did see more as comedic, than 'action.

ziz wrote:
So they tried to trim back the comedy aspects a bit for this film - probably why there's no XCon gang, as that's where a large portion of the comedy was in the first two.

I wondered, why Pena and co weren't in there.
KageRyu
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2023 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3 is in theaters now. No one in my family wants to bother with seeing this in the theater, so we will wait until we can see it at home to watch it. If anyone sees it in the theaters, please feel free to talk about it here.

I've seen it. I'm not sure what I can really say about it that either would not be spoilers or nitpicking. I loved the first and liked the second even more, but this one let me down a bit - but can't exactly put my finger on one specific reason. I believe a big part of it was different style of cinematography (not as many bold colors or surreal album-art style imagery as in the first two). Overall I felt it was enjoyable, but i hate the new look of the new Groot.
DougRed4
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2023 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
Whill wrote:

Both prior Ant mans, i did see more as comedic, than 'action.

I agree with you on that. I see the first two Ant Man movies as heist movies, but I would call them more comedic than action (though there is a lot of action in each, to be fair).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Miscellanea All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 10 of 11

Jump to: