The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

New lightsaber stances from Jedi: Survivor
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Tools -> New lightsaber stances from Jedi: Survivor
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Forceally
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2023 6:54 pm    Post subject: New lightsaber stances from Jedi: Survivor Reply with quote

I don't know if this should be posted in this section or the characters section, but I need some assistance with my work The Force Compendium.

Jedi: Survivor allows Cal Kestis to have two new stances. One has him wielding the crossguard saber, which is identical to the one Kylo Ren used in the sequel films. According to the Wook and maybe The Jedi Path, the crossguard lightsaber was a favorite of Makashi users. But the way Cal wields it, with strong swings and strokes, it seems he used Djem So whenever he wielded the crossguard saber. I think Kylo Ren used Djem So when he fought with his crossguard saber as well. If I were to use the styles listed in the Jedi Academy video game, I would say both of them used the Strong style when they used the crossguard saber. So should I consider the various skills associated with the crossguard saber to be techniques associated with Makashi, Djem So, or a strange Makashi/Djem So hybrid unique to Cal Kestis.

With the blaster/lightsaber combo, Cal was wielding a weapon in two hands, and that's a trait of Jar'Kai. But Jar'Kai generally uses two distinct lightsabers, not a lightsaber in one hand and a blaster in another. Teepo Paladins use blasters instead of lightsabers, so while there might be some influence from the Teepo Paladins in this particular stance, I don't believe Cal learned to use the blaster the same way the Teepo Paladins used theirs. So I don't know what lightsaber form this would fall under, or even if it would fit any of the known lightsaber forms.
CommanderFocs
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2023 1:39 pm    Post subject: Jedi: Survivor stances Reply with quote

I'm no expert on lightsaber forms, but I have played through the game fairly extensively and figured I could provide you with some information that might be able to help.

Cal's and Kylo's use of the crossguard saber is very different from each other. From what we can see in the movies and in other games, Kylo is very quick and aggressive with his crossguard saber. I don't know what form(s) Kylo uses officially, but it seems to fit the description of the Juyo variant of form VII given on Wookieepedia. On the other hand, Cal's use of the crossguard stance in Survivor almost seems like Mando trying to use the darksaber. Cal's attacks are very slow and his swing takes a long time to charge up, but it delivers a strong and powerful blow. You also have good stamina for blocking and deflecting blaster shots when using the crossguard stance in Survivor. I believe, according the information on Wookieepedia, that this matches Form V the best. I'm not certain, but these were my best guesses given what was described on Wookieepedia.

As far as the blaster stance goes, my guess is probably a bit more far-fetched. When using the lightsaber while the blaster stance is equipped, Cal's attacks are very focused in front of him, and he does a lot jabbing and poking straight at his enemy. When looking at the lightsaber attacks of the blaster stance, it sort of reminded me of how Dooku plays in EA's Battlefront II from 2017. Although similar, Cal's appears less elegant than Dooku's. Then again, Cal never really completed his training and is living in a dark time, so he might be more unique and not as refined as the lightsaber wielders before him. You also do have to take into account the Jar'Kai aspect of wielding a weapon in each hand, despite one being a blaster and one being a lightsaber. Seeing as Dooku was a user of Makashi, this could mean that Cal's use of the blaster stance is a sort of Makashi-Jar'Kai mix.

Below are 2 quick videos that show some of the attacks of the blaster stance. Go to 2:50 on the second video to see the blaster stance takedown animations. Like I said, I'm not very well-versed in lightsaber forms, so I tried to take my experience from the game and turn it into and educating and helpful response. I hope this helps.

Video 1: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2H0nq8EQ7oE

Video 2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7A7PchrHvCk&t=170s
Forceally
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2023 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info. I mentioned Kylo Ren because he seemed to wield his crossguard saber in a manner similar to Cal Kestis. I agree with the Form V suggestion for the crossguard saber.

As for saying Cal Kestis used a Makashi/Jar'Kai combo to describe the blaster, I can agree with you in that the way he used the lightsaber, it sort of resembles fencing for the most part. There's only one fancy move dealing with the lightsaber when Cal spends a Skill Point to learn a skill in that particular tree. All the other skills involve the blaster, and while a Jedi can absorb or negate a blaster shot and even use the absorbed energy to boost a Force skill, I've never heard of a Jedi channeling the Force to charge a blaster clip.
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2023 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forceally wrote:
There's only one fancy move dealing with the lightsaber when Cal spends a Skill Point to learn a skill in that particular tree. All the other skills involve the blaster, and while a Jedi can absorb or negate a blaster shot and even use the absorbed energy to boost a Force skill, I've never heard of a Jedi channeling the Force to charge a blaster clip.

And here we venture into the danger of accepting video games as canon. IMO Star Wars video games can be very cool looking and fun to play, but they still don't necessarily always describe the same reality as the films...
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
pakman
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2023 1:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Honestly - I would ignore them.

Or rather - ignore them as "lightsaber" forms.

to me - they are more combat options or techniques, like martial arts.

Two weapons, single weapon, using a double weapon, and a pistol and a melee weapon (In my game I call them combat stances, but still working on them).

I would work on rules for THOSE - and then, a force user can just pick a lightsaber to be used in one of those.

Keep things simple.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Tools All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: