The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Melee weapon damage caps
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules -> Melee weapon damage caps Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2023 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just checked, and yes, 8D is the correct maximum value.
raithyn
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2023 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're correct. I'm including several of the (from what I can tell) more popular fan weapons as well. It appears higher damages usually come from Saga conversation documents. As an example, the KotOR conversation has a staff with 3D+3D stun. Part of what leads me to want to redo/streamline the weapons is the power creep in both official and fan documents over time.

I tend to feel anything above 4D is generally too much but do appreciate that the fan content seems to have more consistent mechanics than the official documents. (A point Whill already set up.) More to come on that in an appropriate thread as I mull on this. Melee weapons actually seem fairly straightforward. It's trashed weapons that will require design choices.
KageRyu
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2023 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

raithyn wrote:
...As an example, the KotOR conversation has a staff with 3D+3D stun. ...

An important note on this, STR+3D +3D Stun would be two separate damages, not STR+6D. In D6 Die Codes for Multi-Hits with weapons or linked weapons are not intended to add the die codes together on a 1 for 1 basis.

Quote:
I tend to feel anything above 4D is generally too much but do appreciate that the fan content seems to have more consistent mechanics than the official documents. (A point Whill already set up.) More to come on that in an appropriate thread as I mull on this. Melee weapons actually seem fairly straightforward. It's trashed weapons that will require design choices.

I feel differently in regard to fan created content, I have more often experienced issues adapting fan content because of power creep, or added special rules that seem to not follow conventions of D6 or sometimes are just due to what I feel is misunderstanding or lack of understanding of existing rules.
I also noted that Melee weapons damage changes from 1st Ed to later 1E source books, then again in 2E. There is also a lot of confusion as to which Melee Weapons count as Physical and which count as energy - had I ever finished my D6 project I was intending to address these issues, but it wouldn't be official SW D6.

As to damage affecting difficulty my thoughts are that the damage a weapon does should not be what determines it's difficulty to use. Difficulty should reflect the unwieldiness of the weapon, it's design, etc... While as a general rule, weapons that inflict more damage tend to be larger, heavier, more unwieldy, and thus would have a higher difficulty, this is not always the case. I also dislike that Melee in D6 (and a lot of games) is a single range band, when in reality different weapons have differing Reach and Length and effective use distance (in fact I really like how both Runequest and the Elric RPG approached this). Certainly Melee has a lot of room for improvement, but then again, how gritty and detailed do you want to make while sacrificing the intended speed and scope of cinematic impact that D6 Star Wars represents?
Mamatried
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2023 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only ruesl I know on this is that some weapons have a Max damage dice, often set as Max 7D etc.

Another thing is the pip and dice calculation.

A person with 3D+1 strength, using (most) melee weapons will have aweapon dealing D+Pip

He is using a bayonet for STR +1D+2 this is NOT 5D totla, but 4D+3 as in some cases, melee weapon damage is one....pips and dice are added up and not "chaged to Dice"

Maeaning 3D+1 and a 1D+2 weapon gives less than 5D for 4D+3
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2023 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've seen only two players over the decades, ever think to take that weapon.. ONE DID just for it's intimidation value, the other took it, because he had only a 2d+1 str, and thought the high added bonus would help out in melee (he did have a 7d+1 melee and 7d melee parry skill though).
pakman
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2023 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TLDR:
Just use the Strength Damage house rules - and you don't need to bother....maybe?

Longer Version
I am in the middle (well, hopefully near the end...) of a massive house rules overhaul for my game, and recently just started on equipment - including melee weapons.

I have decided (for now) to not bother with a damage cap on melee weapons, for the following reasons.

1 - I use the Strength Damage rule.
This is a common house rule here on the pit, and IS used by later versions of D6 (after star wars d6).

I use HALF the lifting skill bonus (yes, it can be increased - but still - it is half).

This dramatically reduces the damage overall - or at least stops it from getting crazy - which is what I beleve the max was introduced for (or rather, as a band aid to making STR a stat...but that is a different topic).

Here is a link to one of hte more common variatoins of the rule...
https://rancorpit.com/jotw/damage/characters_creatures.html#Character/Creature%20Damage

2 - The "wookie problem".
Player character species are limited to 4D STR, so - they don't have the issue of starting with amazing strength - which in my opinion - is why they put in the max in the first place.

Now, for those who might say "but how do they keep up with lightsabers!" - I don't add control to lightsaber damage either.
That is how.

Smile

Best of luck in what ever you decide.
raithyn
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2023 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KageRyu wrote:
An important note on this, STR+3D +3D Stun would be two separate damages, not STR+6D. In D6 Die Codes for Multi-Hits with weapons or linked weapons are not intended to add the die codes together on a 1 for 1 basis.

I did not realize this. I still feel the staff is overpowered but not nearly as much as I had thought.

On a note systemic level, I tend toward cinematic over gritty almost every time. My envisioned rework uses 1D steps with the damage to difficulty scale I outlined above. I already clarified on my item cards (posted on a dedicated thread) what damage each weapon does because I had the same issues of players not intuiting the same answer as me at times. I don't claim what I'm converging on is anything close to RAW SWD6, but my goal is a compatible "module" of rules that puts the focus on roleplay and cinematic feel while still allowing for tense combat.

I'm grateful to everyone here providing your own experience and house rules as I and my players dig into this out of print game!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: