The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Dodge as an Advanced Skill
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> Dodge as an Advanced Skill Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pakman
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2024 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:

No, I've never had any immature rules lawyers argue that a possible interpretation of this clause include zigging and zagging out in the open to avoid being hit. It is clear from the context of the rest of the clauses that the intention is for the skill is to help on the character's way to cover.

But we don't have to just depend on the context and player maturity because characters are game mechanically incentivized by the fact that cover with protection provides more defense than just moving on its own.

And when dodging with respect to cover, a miss to the character can be a hit to the cover. If a character could possibly have gotten to the cover before the attack hits, then dodge could represent the character just making it behind cover (without the cover rules being game mechanically in effect yet). The remaining issue seems to be with a small subset of cases where the character couldn't have possibly gotten to the cover yet.

Let me start with - I agree with this.

However, I can also say - that I have seen groups that play this way - dodge is ducking, weaving or moving in such ways to avoid being hit.....

Without getting into the pedantic - the rules do seem to indicated that if you are not in cover when you get shot at, you use dodge.

The fact if this is being done while on the way to get ot cover or not - that seems to be the difference - and inspiring deeper context.

Back to the OP...
While I think the common play is that dodge is for when not in cover (for whatever reason - see above) - I feel for my game, that making the ability to dodge in the open an advanced skill is not the direction I would go.

I think there are a lot of thought provoking ideas here - to be honest.

While I have approached this in a slightly different manner - (slower character progression, simplified rules for group attacks, etc.) - I cannot disagree with the premise that the dodge skill is REALLY powerful.

fascinating topic - can see a lot of points.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to: