The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Programming Droids
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> Programming Droids
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DougRed4
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2024 5:18 pm    Post subject: Programming Droids Reply with quote

In my recent game my players wanted to program their astromech droid, and purchased the appropriate SkillWare. I found some basic information in the Cynabar's Fantastic Technology: Droids book for how much it should cost and more or less handwaved things at the table regarding the time involved. Upon closer examination, though, it takes WAY more time than I would have guessed.

Based on the type of droid (Second Degree) and the difficulty (Difficult), that book is saying it should take 36 hours. Shocked

I'm thinking of making such programming take significantly less. Even half seems way too much. I'm thinking of having it take 1/3rd the calculated time, which would still mean 12 hours in this case (enough to delay the party significantly).

What do you think?
KageRyu
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2024 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would say 36 hours is a steal. Especially given the sophistication of droids in Star Wars. Programming complex tasks on machinery is a time consuming task.
pakman
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2024 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would agree it should not be easy.

If you want, make the higher the skill check reduce the time.

Maybe for every 5 points (or 4 whatever) - reduce the time a couple of hours.
shootingwomprats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2024 12:14 am    Post subject: Re: Programming Droids Reply with quote

DougRed4 wrote:
I'm thinking of making such programming take significantly less. Even half seems way too much. I'm thinking of having it take 1/3rd the calculated time, which would still mean 12 hours in this case (enough to delay the party significantly).

A couple of suggestions, they could significantly reduce time by having more people work on the programming, increase the difficulty to reduce time, perhaps have a static number with X dice every time the droid has to do the new thing, maybe a level of difficulty can be reduced by adding in a quirk that could make things difficult, perhaps when the droid is making a roll have the wild die be negative on a 1-2 instead of a 1 ...
http://d6holocron.com/shootingwomprats
@swd6podcast, Twitter
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2024 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I forget where the rule is, but you can halve the time at doubling the difficulty..

As for having multiple people join in, how many could realistically get in on programming a droid? 1 or 2 others??
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: