The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Clone Trooper Armor (Mark I, II, ARC, Commando..)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech -> Clone Trooper Armor (Mark I, II, ARC, Commando..) Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gry Sarth
Jedi

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2005 9:27 am    Post subject: Clone Trooper Armor (Mark I, II, ARC, Commando..) Reply with quote

I'd like to include Clone Trooper armor stats in my upcoming Equipment Stats book, so I'd like your input on what they would be like.

I'd like to have most (if not all) of the Clone variant armor. I think the way of going about it is simply degrading standard Stormtrooper and variant armor. Here's what I'm thinking:

Clone Trooper, Mark I (Ep2): Like a Stormie, but MFTAS gives only a +1 bonus, no breath mask, no polarized lenses. Not sure about utility belt.

Clone Trooper, Mark II (Ep3): Like a Stormie, but MFTAS give sonly a +1D bonus. Not sure about utility belt.

ARC Trooper: Like a Storm Commando, but no breath mask, MFTAS gives only a +1D bonus, no stealth coating.

Clone Commando (Katarn-class armor): Like a Storm Commando, but bulkier (+2D all, -1D dex), no breath mask, MFTAS gives only a +2D/+1D bonus, no stealth coating. Maybe some additional gadgets, must check what's in the game...

Clone SCUBA Trooper: Like a Seatrooper, but MFTAS only gives a +2 bonus, no polarized lenses, aquatic propulsion pack and shin guard maneuver jets (+3D swimming, Move of, uh... 30?)

Clone Pilot: I think that can be the same as the TIE pilot, since the TIE pilot doesn't really have any bonuses or whatever....

What do you think of these? What are your suggestions?
KageRyu
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2005 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, Asuming I am reading this right, where MFTAS means Maybe For The Added Strength (?) I think that the bonuses should start at +2 for the MK I, and the others look Ok I guess. Though it does seem that the Clone troopers do indeed have respirators in their helmets. I am not an expert on the new prequel stuff though. Anti-blaster coccoon armor in the earlier sourcebooks doesn't really seemed to have changed much, stat wise, to the stuff in the OT era. I might, actually, make the clone troops armor slightly better than ST armor, since it was based off mandalorian tech, then, by the time we get to ST, it is just to expensive to manufacture such armor, and many of the materials are hard to get, so they go with cheaper, mass produced armor. Just a few thoughts.
Gry Sarth
Jedi

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2005 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, MFTAS stands for "Multi-Frequency Target Aquisition System", which is the sensors contained in a Stormie's helmet which give him a bonus to Perception on low-visibility and a bonus to ranged attacks against fast targets. This is the system I imagine would evolve the most from the first Clone Trooper to the Stormtrooper.

I don't think the actual armor protection should change at all for the Clone Troopers, since that isn't a really technological thing that would evolve so much, the material looks very much the same. I only added armor for the Clone Commando, whose armor looks really bulky.

As for breath masks, I just though it was a nice touch. Looking at the helmets, The Ep3 Clones and the Stormies both have those little "chin grills", while the Ep2 Clone hasn't. From that I thought we might say that the Ep2 clones didn't have that "sealed environment suit" thing.

Also looking for things to evolve, since the Ep2 clone has a very different eye-lenses shape, and the Ep3 clone and stormie are very similar, I thought maybe the Ep2 clone didn't have polarized anti-flash lenses.
Allst Beamem
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2005 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I might, actually, make the clone troops armor slightly better than ST armor, since it was based off mandalorian tech, then, by the time we get to ST, it is just to expensive to manufacture such armor, and many of the materials are hard to get, so they go with cheaper, mass produced armor.

Im agreeing with Kage on this one. IMO the clone trooper armor should be better than normal stormi. For the very reason that is in the quote. I under stand that the tech may have improved but the expence and the fact that stormis are very expendable Evil or Very Mad .
Gry Sarth
Jedi

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2005 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't see how Clone Troopers are less expendable than stormies. Those things were grown in vats in batches of millions, receiving express training and growth acceleration. I don't see Palpy spending money on Mandalorian-quality armor to protect soldiers that are mass-produced and not built to last.

ARC Troopers and Clone Commandos are another story...
KageRyu
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2005 1:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wasn't trying to imply that the clones were any more or less expendable than stormies, only that, at the time, there were fewer of them, and the technological resources for better armor weren't expended, and costs hadn't soared yet.

As for lenses, I would still say the MK I armor has polarized flash protective lenses, but due to the helmet design, I would say that they have reduced visual field (Perception penalty for search and tracking maybe?)
Perhaps the MK I doesn't have a fully sealed environment option as with the MK II and ST armor (no space use) but from the appearance I still feal it would have some form of respirator or air system inside.

As for the MFTAS, I know nothing of these, so I can't really say.
Gry Sarth
Jedi

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2005 1:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The thing is that these Stats are never complete. Sure there are many minute differences between these armors, lots of advantages and disadvantages to each one. But when it comes to the actual stats, you have to boil it down to a few key elements that define that armor. You can't keep adding things like "this armor has a -1 penalty to Hide because it has an orange stripe on it" even though it might make sense.

Thus, if you take the Stormtrooper armor as the natural evolution of an armor that started with the Clone mk1, the easiest way to go about it is to gradually degrade the stats as you see those features would evolve.

None of these armors can whithstand space exposure. The breath mask works only for toxic environments. Sure the Mk1 has some sort of respirator system, but it might just not be sofisticated enough to warrant a stat entry, unlike the Stormie.
Gry Sarth
Jedi

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2005 1:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, here's my current take at these Clone armors. Comments appreciated.

Clone Trooper Armor, Mark I
Model: Republic Clone Trooper Armor, Mark I
Type: Military armor
Scale: Character
Cost: Not available for sale
Availability: 3, X
Game Notes:
Armor Protection: +2D physical, +1D energy, -1D Dexterity and related skills.
Comlink: Tongue-activated helmet comlink.
Body Glove: Climate controlled body glove allows operation in uncomfortably cold or warm climates.
MFTAS: Multi-Frequency Targeting Acquisition System; adds +1 to Perception checks in low-visibility situations, +1 to ranged weapon skill uses against targets moving more than 10 meters per round; polarized lenses prevent flash-blinding.
Utility Belt: High-tension wire, grappling hooks, spare blaster power packs, ion flares, concentrated rations, spare comlink, water packs, 2 medpacs.

Clone Trooper Armor, Mark II
Model: Republic Clone Trooper Armor, Mark II
Game Notes:
Armor Protection: +2D physical, +1D energy, -1D Dexterity and related skills.
Sealed Body Glove: Climate controlled body glove and breath mask allows operation in uncomfortably cold or warm climates and toxic-air environments.
MFTAS: Multi-Frequency Targeting Acquisition System; adds +1D to Perception checks in low-visibility situations, +1D to ranged weapon skill uses against targets moving more than 10 meters per round; polarized lenses prevent flash-blinding.
Utility Belt: High-tension wire, grappling hooks, spare blaster power packs, ion flares, concentrated rations, spare comlink, water packs, 2 medpacs.

Clone SCUBA Trooper Armor
Model: Republic Aquatic Assault Trooper Armor
Type: Underwater military armor
Game Notes:
Armor Protection: +1D physical and energy, +2D swimming skill.
Sealed Body Glove: Climate controlled body glove allows operation in uncomfortably cold or warm climates. Miniaturized scrubbers built into the breathing unit are able to extract oxygen from water environments, and allow for attachment of oxygen tanks.
Aquatic Propulsion Pack: Has an underwater Move of 20. Maneuverability jets incorporated into the shin guards add an extra +1D to swimming.
MFTAS: Multi-Frequency Targeting Acquisition System; adds +1D to Perception checks in low-visibility situations, +1D to ranged weapon skill uses against targets moving more than 10 meters per round; polarized lenses prevent flash-blinding.
Utility Belt: High-tension wire, grappling hooks, spare blaster power packs, ion flares, concentrated rations, spare comlink, water packs, 2 medpacs, spare breather.

ARC Trooper Armor
Model: Republic Advanced Recon Commando Armor
Availability: 4, X
Game Notes:
Armor Protection: +1D physical and energy.
Body Glove: Climate controlled body glove allows operation in uncomfortably cold or warm climates.
MFTAS: Multi-Frequency Targeting Acquisition System; adds +1D to search checks, +1D to ranged weapon skill uses against targets moving more than 10 meters per round; polarized lenses prevent flash-blinding.
Source: Geonosis and the Outer Rim Worlds (pages 80-81)

Katarn Armor
Model: Katarn-class Republic Commando Body Armor
Type: Commando armor
Game Notes:
Armor Protection: +2D physical and energy, -1D Dexterity and related skills.
Sealed Body Glove: Climate controlled body glove and breath filter allows operation in uncomfortably cold or warm climates and limited protection in toxic-air environments.
MFTAS: Multi-Frequency Targeting Acquisition System; adds +2D to Perception and search checks in low-visibility situations, +1D to ranged weapon skill uses against targets moving more than 10 meters per round; polarized lenses prevent flash-blinding.
Viewplate: Macrobinocular imaging set (50-100/200/500 meters range) with UV nightvision (See MFTAS, above).
Ray
Commodore
Commodore

Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada, North America, Western Hemisphere, Earth, Sol, Western Arm, Milky Way

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2005 1:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IIRC, the Katarn Armour has a "Vibroblade" concealed in the gauntlets that springs out when the Trooper punches, giving an extra little "Surprise" in CQB.
Gry Sarth
Jedi

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2005 2:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, cool! Thanks. Where did you get that info? So it's not just your usual retractable vibroblade, is it? It's something that just juts out when you punch, digging deeper, and then immediately goes back into hiding?

Any other gadgets I should know about?
Ray
Commodore
Commodore

Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada, North America, Western Hemisphere, Earth, Sol, Western Arm, Milky Way

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2005 3:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I played the game, and, IIRC, that was the "Melee" attack. I loved using it all the time, thought it was cool! And pretty much as you describe it, although I imagine you can remove it to use it as a regular Vibrodagger as well (I know I'd design it that way!).

The polarized lenses automatically clean themselves. Wink Very cool effect.

The suits can interface with Bacta Misting Stations, and be used as improvised bacta tanks for a quick heal. Not quite as good as a dunk, but enough to stave off pain and furthur injury until they get back to a real one (It'll temporarily heal the damage, but the character still needs to spend the time healing after the combat situation is over.). That's how the game explained how they healed all the time.

The Katarn Armour also appears to double as Vacsuits, as they're seen doing a spaceborn insertion on the exhaust port of a Cruiser. Makes sense as they're likely completely sealed as part of NBC (Nuclear-Biological-Chemical) protection.
Gry Sarth
Jedi

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2005 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, thanks. That's exactly the kind of info I was looking for. However we just can't convert things to RPG straight out of the video-game. Video games are much more "exagerated" and some things wouldn't fit well in the RPG. But let's see what can be done with this:

Vibrodagger: It's better to just keep it a simple retractable blade. So it could be used in the manner I described, but it could also just be left extended. STR+1D+2 damage? Is there one in each gauntlet or just a single one. In which case, on which hand?

Auto-cleaning lenses: Too minor a detail to warrant a stat entry.

Bacta healing: Now this is tricky. It's one of those video-game devices that just don't belong in RPG, like Kyle Katarn's energy shield... However I believe there is a kind of medpac around that kinda has the effect of the Control Pain Power. That is, it removes the penalty without curing the injury. Something similar could be incorporated in the armor. However it should be a single-use device, not a perpetual thing.

Vacuum sealed: I don't know. All Stormie armor is said to be "sealed", however I don't think they can stand space exposure. I might just add a line that says it can survive brief vacuum exposure....
Ray
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2005 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only saw the right hand (I'm sure all Clones are either Right-Handed, or Ambidexterous. The second, I bet, considering Jango's shooting style), so either on just the right hand, or both (For when you have to get into two-fisted fighting.).

Ya, that's what I figured. An "Auto-Medpack" might be an idea. Oh, and it includes a "Resusitator" that can bring a character out of Incapacitated, but doesn't heal them (Another trooper has to charge this up, however.). Basically a defribulator built into the suit, and quite believeable.

These guys aren't your typical Stormies or Clones, however. They're likely to have to do the occasional Space Assault, so their suits are more likely to work as cheap vaccsuits than your "Off The Rack" Stomie Armour. Your comment would be good. Not more than a few minutes. Just from one ship, to the next.
Gry Sarth
Jedi

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2005 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks a lot! How's this then?

Katarn Armor
Model: Katarn-class Republic Commando Body Armor
Type: Commando armor
Game Notes:
Armor Protection: +2D physical and energy, -1D Dexterity and related skills.
Retractable Vibroblade: Concealed in right gauntlet, does STR+1D+2 damage, uses melee combat skill. May be set to automatically spring out every time the user punches something, in which case it uses the brawling skill.
Sealed Body Glove: Climate controlled body glove and breath filter allows operation in uncomfortably cold or warm climates and limited protection in toxic-air environments. Sealed suit allows up to five minutes exposure to the vacuum of space.
Auto-Bacta Injectors: When the wearer suffers a Wounded or worse injury, the system automatically injects bacta on the affected area. This does not actually heal the wound, but reduces the injury penalty by 1D (and keeps an Incapacitated character awake, as if he was only Wounded Twice). Unit has a single charge; multiple bacta injections grant no further benefits.
MFTAS: Multi-Frequency Targeting Acquisition System; adds +2D to Perception and search checks in low-visibility situations, +1D to ranged weapon skill uses against targets moving more than 10 meters per round; polarized lenses prevent flash-blinding.
Viewplate: Macrobinocular imaging set (50-100/200/500 meters range) with UV nightvision (See MFTAS, above).
Utility Belt: High-tension wire, grappling hooks, spare blaster power packs, ion flares, concentrated rations, spare comlink, water packs, 2 medpacs, additional supplies pouches.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2005 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not bad. Especially like the 'tiering' of the MFTAS...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: