The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

What is your favorite type of character to play?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Characters, Droids, and Species -> What is your favorite type of character to play? Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Loc Taal
Grand Master (Founder / Admin Emeritus)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2003 11:47 pm    Post subject: What is your favorite type of character to play? Reply with quote

What is your favorite type of character to play? I personally prefer to play characters that focus on combat skills: Mercenaries, Assassins, Bounty Hunters, etc. I've played numerous other types of characters, but these are usually my favorite.

The original RANCOR PIT archive
Mvlakh
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2003 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi!
Rexer
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2003 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the combat skilled characters. It seems that our adventures lean that way anyway though. A pilot is fun if the gamemaster allows enough flying and uses the pilot for more than just a taxi driver. A jedi is a very intersting character to play and is fun and a challenge. The toughest part of a Jedi is when your character is new and you can't really use your force skills. Jedi advance slowly because you can't dump all of your character points into force skills because you need to survive. You need to find a good balance of boosting your regular skills along with your force skills. It does make for interesting play, especially if you are with a group of bounty hunters.
Loc Taal

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2003 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The one thing that I always hated about mixing Jedi and non-Jedi characters (especially bounty hunters Very Happy ) is that it seemed like the Jedi was always doing nothing but trying to stop the bounty hunters from doing "evil". Isn't there a rule that a Jedi must act to prevent an act of evil or they get a Dark Side point? I seem to recall reading that... Makes it tough when you're in a group of blaster-happy bounty hunters Laughing

Rexer
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2003 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have to be really careful of how you play that. The biggest thing for that is how the group plays. If you have a group of "honorable" bounty hunters then it shouldn't be a problem. If they are just taking bounties of evil people (versus just taking any bounty for the money) then the jedi could help bring them to justice and protect the group. The bounty hunters have to walk a very thin line though or the Jedi does have to step in to try and stop them from getting out of control. That never happens with our group Twisted Evil
Reaper63
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2003 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My character always ended up being a soldier of some sort. I like the combat skills, and being former Military, I have the knowledge to ballance the combat with other skills. Can't always solve the situation by blasting your way out. Especially if there is an Imperial Garrison in the area! lol

And the character ususally leans towards the Rebels, if not officially allied with them.
Rexer
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2003 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with you Reaper. You can't always balst your way out of everything, though some try. My characters tend to lean towad the Rebels as well. I sometimes get caught in the middle though. Yeah, I have even played a character who was a pilot in the Imperial Navy.
Crell Damar
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2003 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like to play a blanaced character, one who can fight, and knows when it's wise to and not to fight... at the same time, one of the other players in my group plays this no morals pirate, and i had to act as his concience from time to time... which ended up with a few of his prisoners miraculously escaping and it was a load of fun watching him try to get them back... although because of stuff like that he ended up getting retired, but it's always wise to have some social skills, or at least the role playing experience to back up your blaster with a con or persuasion that can make even the hardest guys back down.
Volar the Healer
Jedi

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2003 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy I've played many different characters; Y-wing fighter pilot, assasin, soldier, Jedi, Rodian bounty hunter, merchant ship captain, merchant ship engineer, MonCal explorer. The Jedi was played the longest and so has the most detail, but my all time favorite was when our whole group got to play ourselves in a campaign where The Empire invaded Earth.

It seems Mr. Lucas is a Rebel agent sent to warn Earth of an impending invasion but the governments wouldn't listen to him. (Yeah, O.K. buddy. There's a free mental health clinic down on third...). His mission was to get the word out so he made a movie...

Most of that group was prior military and had pretty good firearm skills. That campaign generated some great lines:

Player 1: "How do we figure out how to operate this captured speeder bike?"
Player 2: "Read the manual."
Player 1: "How do you know it has a manual?"
Player 2: "Every piece of military equipment has a manual."
Player 1: "I search the speeder. Do I find a manual?"
Director: "Yes, you find a datapad, but you can't read it."
Player 1: "But I've seen the movie and I know they speak English!"
Director: "Those subjugating the US have been trained to speak English, but they write in aurek-besh..."

Last edited by Volar the Healer on Fri Aug 08, 2003 2:59 pm; edited 2 times in total
Rexer
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2003 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing

Having been prior military myself I can really appreciate that one!!!!
Loc Taal

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2003 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Volar the Healer wrote:
Those subjecting the US have been trained in English, but they write in aurek-besh...

LOL! That's awesome! Laughing

Scrawprin
Jedi

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2003 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My favorite type of character has always been a pilot based character with a good ol' blaster. Without means of transportation, I always felt stuck and then it never felt "STAR WARS" to me.
Crell Damar
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2003 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had a lot of fun in this recent game i've been playing with my GM, it's based on 1 planet so far, and i'm playing a local bounty hunter who pretty much just operates in one city. I dunno, but it still feels like star wars even though it's just on one planet
Volar the Healer
Jedi

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2003 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If there's enough Star Wars elements in it, it can feel like Star Wars even if the entire campaign is on one planet. But Just one starfighter or shipboard dogfight makes it feel Star Wars in a way a hundred stormtroopers does not.
Crell Damar
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2003 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i hate space battles, too unpredictable Razz
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Characters, Droids, and Species All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: