The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

How many CPs do you give for a single session?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters -> How many CPs do you give for a single session? Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  

How many CPs do you give on average after a single session?
1-3
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
4-6
33%
 33%  [ 6 ]
7-10
44%
 44%  [ 8 ]
11 or more
22%
 22%  [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 18

beaumont sebos
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I make my PCs compete for CPs.

One character will get 5, one chatacter will get 7, the rest will get 6 (this is for a 4-hour session).

At the end of the session, I have them tell me what they did to deserve CPs. On very rare occassions, if they all did really well, I'll hand out bonus CPs, but never more than 7.

I also do this for FPs. Only one person will ever gain an additional FP per session (although this is not a given, most times they do not gain FPs at all). At the end, they tell my why they FP use warrants an additional FP. This encourages them to use FPs at the appropriate time.

"Saving the multiverse, one Gamorrean Ale at a time."
Jedi Skyler
Moff
Moff

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can see that. It also forces them to LOOK for the appropriate moment, as well as making sure that "appropriate" is defined the same by all...
KageRyu
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2005 2:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Me, I use somewhat of a formula for handing out CP, but it varies so wildly I would have a hard time saying how much to give. I try to base it something like this:
1-3 Participation Award - This is for showing up for the game, and the exact number is based on the length. A short session (3 hours) gets 1, while an average session gets 2.
1-5 Difficulty Award - This is for how easy or difficult I perceive the adventure as being. A difficult adventure with many clues and layers, with plenty of oportunities to miss chances, would be worth around 5. A simple adventure that just fills time or leads the players by the nose might be worth one.
1-5 Tension & Conflict Award - This award is for the battles fought and their relevant importance. For battles that are un-nescessary or are extremely one sided in favor of the players, there might be 1 point. For large conflicts, or squarring off with major villains, or a significantly dramatic or challenging fight, then there might be as many as 5 CP.
1-3 ea. Individual Obsticle Awards - These are CP awarded for overcoming specific, plot orriented obstacles crucial to survival or the campaign. Also awarded for figuring out major plot points. These are awarded to specific characters for a specific acomplishment. A 1 point award represents a dificulty around 2-3 times the characters die code in the related skill (i.e. a 15 for demolitions when a character has 5D). 2 points is for a difficulty 4-5 times the related die code, and 3 points for any difficulty above that.
These are the base awards, and tend to average 5-10 points per adventure, with each adventure being around 7 hours. Then I award the role playing and group awards suggested in the book seperately, netting the players an average of 12-15 per game session.
I run a more dramatic and sweeping campaign than most, high on the cinematics, so I allow slightly more leeway in increasing skills. I allow any player to increase any skill that was used heavily in an adventure up to 1 full D. Any other skills the character must justify the increase to me, and can be raised more than 1 pip.

Trusty wrote:

I mean, "infinities" is the only way to game in my book. Take what you want from the source material and discard the rest.

Hallelujah! Preach it to the choir.
Quote:
In fact, I am thinking about putting together our "infinities" campaign into sourcebook and adventure book (.pdf) for D6 Star Wars for people who want to run something new and different...Depends on if I can get some of the players to help and see if there is any interest for those "lazy" GM's out there. Laughing

I would certainly be interested in perusing such a work. I am always interested in more source material and ideas for games. Heck, when you run seat of your pants like I do, sometimes you don't have something ready, and you just need to grab something else and adapt it really quickly. You can never have too much source material, right? Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: