The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Using Miniatures Battle rules in the RPG
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> Using Miniatures Battle rules in the RPG
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MA-3PO
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2005 5:50 pm    Post subject: Using Miniatures Battle rules in the RPG Reply with quote

Has anyone ever tried using the MB rules during the RPG? I know there are several scenarios throughout the sourcebooks that allow you to insert a MB but has anyone ever tired using them all the time? They essentially simplify the regular rules.

For example: A stormtrooper with a blaster skill of 3D fires at a Rebel in the open, within short range. The difficulty of the shot is 6. The Imperial player rolls 1 die and gets a 3. Three plus the stormtrooper's skill of 3 equals the difficulty number 6, so the stormtrooper's shot hits.

One of the drawbacks/benefits is eliminating pips. However during high level games only rolling 1 die and adding the skill modifier is much more handy than the bucket'o'dice approach. Thoughts?
Argamoth
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2005 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haven't used it in battles, but I like the way of eliminating buckets of ds.
Boomer
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2005 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my online game, I am finding I rely more and more on electronic dice. To get electronic dice in an easy to use program that makes all totals with the push of the button also eliminates the buckets of dice and can allow for even more complicated rule-sets to be used in even the most complex of battles.

Thus turning Star Wars into a swift game.
to finance my 'vette!
Jedi Skyler
Moff
Moff

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boomer's right. There's already a great dice roller here on the Pit, and it goes ahead and rolls the wild die for you as well, putting in any bonuses or penalties.
MA-3PO
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Skyler wrote:
Boomer's right. There's already a great dice roller here on the Pit, and it goes ahead and rolls the wild die for you as well, putting in any bonuses or penalties.
Call us weird but we think it's fun just rolling those dice. Besides, it's not always convienient to have computers at the game table. Once again, has anyone played MB?
Jedi Skyler
Moff
Moff

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I will admit that it's always been fun for me rolling the dice, but the dice roller on here is really good for the play by post games. It's also proving fun to have the GM make ALL the rolls, and our games progress a bit more like interactive stories than games since we don't make any of our rolls this way...
Chabit Rane
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried once. Keep using the regular rules though. Habit I supposs.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Volar the Healer
Jedi

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I have...on several occasions.

I sometimes allow the PCs to roll their D6 stats while all the NPCs use the Miniatures Battles stats. And sometimes convert the PCs to Miniatures Battles stats. It worked well both ways.

The players liked being part of a really big battle.
KageRyu
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have considered it, but never actually tried it. I did try using the Star Warriors rules in RP my first few years GMing, but dropped those as they were just too cumbersome.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: