The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Lightsaber bolt reflection, and combined fire???!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters -> Lightsaber bolt reflection, and combined fire???! Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2005 1:36 am    Post subject: Lightsaber bolt reflection, and combined fire???! Reply with quote

Yet another question, brought from the Holonet...

OK. Say joe the jedi just messed up, and has an alerted base on his butt. 4 seperate teams of 10 stormies, led by larry and lance the leutennants, for teams 1 & 2. While teams 3 and 4 are led by Sandra and sam. Sam's team encounters this wayward buttnutt, and decides a quick combined shot of all his troops will be sufficient to take him down.

Joe sees this volley of energy death coming his way, pops up LS combat, and goes for deflection. No prob there, one roll against the 1 blaster roll + the combined action benefit (10 is 4d i di believe for D6).

But what about if he wishes to redirect said combined volley back!?!?!?!

Is that even possible with combined volleys?
If so, does it send the bolts back to their individual shooters or just one shooter geting whammed by all the bolts?
Would that be one roll or a number equal to the size of the volley?
Gry Sarth
Jedi

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2005 1:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd say you can't direct a combined shot. I think the best example of why you can't do this are the films themselves. In the prequels we saw a lot of jedi deflecting a shower of bolts. However, when they are being showered by bolts, they never deflect them back. They only do it when there are very few bolts directed at them.
Boomer
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2005 2:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First, to direct a shot somwhere specifically, I make the character call the target and set a difficulty number to hit.

Now for blocking the volley he has several target numbers to make for each shot, spread out over the dice of the combined result. He beats them all, he blocked them all. Beat part of them, part of them blocked.

Now if he wants to direct the shots at anything rather than random angles away from him... you guessed it, ton of difficulty numbers and multi action penalties applied.

And this can all be done with one die roll or several.
to finance my 'vette!
Sabre
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2005 4:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my games, each shot beyond the first adds to the difficulty and each redirected shot is an action. I'm pretty sure the second part of that is from the book. So, with multi-action penalties, even 15D of skill goes away quickly. Bearing in mind that you might get a mediocre roll, and you still have to beat 'difficult' to avoid the risk of killing yourself, you'll probably not deflect more than one, if any.
Argamoth
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2005 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Gry Sarth. It's also a very simple rule.
Ejacobs
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is why you only see blasters deflected back at the beginning of a series of combat. In the movies all the rounds get rolled into one long bit of footage so it looks like it happens a lot. It takes a while for Jedi to whittle down a bunch of people shooting blasters at them by deflecting the bolts back at them.

E
Jedi Skyler
Moff
Moff

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, Gry makes it very simple.

Plus, in the movies you'll see the Jedi deflecting all the bolts in a volley, then perhaps redirecting the LAST one, but never one in the middle of the shower of bolts flying at him.
KageRyu
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2005 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I would possibly allow a Deflection on combined actions, with a few considerations:
One deflection attempt is one shot, doing the weapons base damage (no bonus dice from combining) to a single target. Each extra hit or target would be a seperate attempt, of course with all Multi Action Penalties applying. So, at best, two or three shots would be all that was really feasible before MAPs reduce the skill to a really poor level.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2005 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KageRyu wrote:
I think I would possibly allow a Deflection on combined actions, with a few considerations:
One deflection attempt is one shot, doing the weapons base damage (no bonus dice from combining) to a single target. Each extra hit or target would be a seperate attempt, of course with all Multi Action Penalties applying. So, at best, two or three shots would be all that was really feasible before MAPs reduce the skill to a really poor level.

So if they had 4 (or more) shooters combinng on them, it would not be feasable to deflect/redirect, due to MAPS...
Cool.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well figured this one had a little lovin in 05 but its been a good 8 yrs since anyone commented.

So for all you new pitters.. What's your thoughts on whether a combined action shot can be deflected? parried back?
Quetzacotl
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would say that he could deflect them, but only at the base value, meaning the value for a single shot here. If he want's to deflect more, he has to take more MAPs for each bolt he tries to deflect (he somehow can parry every shot if his lightsaber roll is high enough, so it should be possible to deflect all of them).

Personally, I think that the whole "combined action" System is extremely flawed, which leads to that strange situation...

p.s. How about "Grand Necromancer" for garhkal? Razz
Tupteq
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd allow redirecting combined fire, but with restrictions described by KageRyu. So, if you want to deflect multiple shots you have to declare how many and apply accumulated MAP to each deflection.
Example: Johnnie the Jedi fights against four stormies, they coordinate fire, but Johnnie successfully parried (one action). Now he wants to redirect all four shots, he rolls all redirect (control) rolls at -4D (5 actions, defense and four redirects).
As a GM, in such situations, I'd be cruel and for very poor redirect rolls (like critical failure with total below 10), Johnnie would redirect bolt to himself (roll dodge at -5D, because it's a sixth action) or to other place he don't want to (his favorite speeder, companion's weapon, blastdoor control panel etc.).
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quetzacotl wrote:

p.s. How about "Grand Necromancer" for garhkal? Razz

I have actually earned the nickname lord high necromancer on some of the other forums i visit, for my love to troll back in the history of posts and resurrect threads i like.. rather than make new ones.
Quetzacotl
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's definitely a well deserved nickname Razz
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know.. One of the forums i actually got a warning from the site moderators about the amount of threads i was resurrecting.
My S.O.P is to spend the first few days (or longer if needed) going through ALL the old threads before starting any new ones.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: