The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

TK and grenades.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters -> TK and grenades. Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jedi Skyler
Moff
Moff

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2005 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now, for all you physics majors and buffs, tell me if this example is going beyond the purview of Absorb/Dissipate.

(Also in I, Jedi...) Corran Horn's ancestor, Nejaa Halcyon, absorbed every last erg from a lightsaber blade that was in the process of running him through. He received a fatal wound, of course, but before he died he took the energy he absorbed and channeled it into Telekinesis... he grabbed the Dark Jedi who'd run him through in a Force Grab, and squeezed him to death so his two partners were only facing two Dark Jedi, rather than three. Corran's family genetically tends towards a deficiency in using Telekinesis, but at times when they have extra energy at their disposal they can use it.

Now... is that considered a proper use of Absorb/Dissipate, or should it be a completely different power?
Argamoth
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2005 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it should be a new power, but with Absorb/Dipassitate as a prerequisite. Call it Channel Energy or something.
Jedi Skyler
Moff
Moff

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2005 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed. I hadn't even gotten to that part of it yet. Good idea!
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 2:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Argamoth wrote:
I think it should be a new power, but with Absorb/Dipassitate as a prerequisite. Call it Channel Energy or something.

So we have a name.... Anyone willing to write up the power?
Ejacobs
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 3:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was there a decision made as to whether TK can be used as a reflex to hurl grenades out of the way or back at the thrower? What would constitute earning a DSP in that case?

E
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I could see that it could be...
Jedi Skyler
Moff
Moff

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think perhaps hurling it back toward the thrower might be a DSP... I see that as being debatable both ways, though. The Jedi might intend only to disable the opponent, rather than kill him. But again, I can see people debating this issue back and forth forever. As with all else, it'll come down in the end to GM discretion.
TarlSS
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would say no. In every game, and the movies Jedi have to dodge explosives thrown at them most of the time. Only in the Clone Wars cartoons does Mace Windu deflect grenades that way. I think. And the Clone Wars are obviously, a gross exaggeration of everything (It's good that way.)

Also, in the Revenge of the Sith Game, and Jedi Knight games and such, you generally cannot deflect grenades and rockets unless you were ready for them. As such, I don't feel that TK is a reflexive skill. That some of the enemies could do it was for game balance, you were only supposed to use lightsabers and force powers on them. (And even then, the bosses could only be defeated with lightsabers.)

Also, movies. In Obi Wan's fight with Jango, he dodges the missile. In the comic Emissaries to Malastare, the Jedi Masters have to leap out of the way of grenades. Additionally, anyone knowing they were fighting Jedi with grenades would either use proximity fuses or be really good at timing things. Since proximity fuses were invented in WWII, I'm sure it's safe to say you many grenades are be produced with that option.

Additionally, Absorbing Force power is completely different from Absorbing/Dissipate Energy. In Jedi Knight there is the Absorb Force power, so you can model it after that. I'd say the whole energy channeling thing is another Forcepower that has Absorb as a Pre-Req.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 3:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Skyler wrote:
I think perhaps hurling it back toward the thrower might be a DSP... I see that as being debatable both ways, though. The Jedi might intend only to disable the opponent, rather than kill him. But again, I can see people debating this issue back and forth forever. As with all else, it'll come down in the end to GM discretion.

What about people only 'intending to wound the target' with a heavy blaster, and killing? Allowing that "well i only intended to" Excuse is too easy a way out.... IMO if they hurled the grenade, so it's blast radius caught ANYONE, it would be a dsp...
Jedi Skyler
Moff
Moff

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's why I began my post with, "I think perhaps hurling it back toward the thrower might be a DSP." That's my initial thought on that. The rest of it is just me playing devil's advocate and soliciting others' opinions on the matter.

Because yeah, you could be trying a called shot with a heavy blaster on someone, not quite make the roll, and hit the guy in the face, rather than knocking the weapon out of his hand. You just killed him, but you didn't mean to.
entropy
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I would say no. In every game, and the movies Jedi have to dodge explosives thrown at them most of the time.
Also, in the Revenge of the Sith Game, and Jedi Knight games and such, you generally cannot deflect grenades and rockets unless you were ready for them.

Now while I agree that in the D6 RPG universe, being able to use TK reflexively might be unbalancing, I know that the Jedi Knight games had you using TK to push back grenades, rockets, and even flechette ammo. I used to key forward-scroll on my mouse to be force-push in death matches for that very reason.

There seems to be a lot of people that want to turn various skills into reaction skills... Has anyone given any thought into making that another use for force points?

Actually, this thread gets hijacked enough, I'm going to start this as a new topic in House Rules.
Argamoth
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2005 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that TK could be used to defelct a grenade, but only if the Jedi was expecting it, and only doing that. Namely, not dodging blaster fire and other nasties.
Vartax
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2005 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

True I used the the concussion rifle in Jedi Knight the game last night and if the Jedi was not ready it, then off the edge he went to fall to his death. If he was ready for it them pow back in my face it came.... granted the game is another resource to use for ideas and might not be considered doctrine.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2005 5:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't, as it has insta health packs, and personal shields.... In addition to weapons we don't see in the books. Like that concussion rifle, repeater cannon, and 4 barrel flechet grenade launcher. Also the TD explosions in game are greater than you can throw them, while in the pc games they are small as heck, and you can throw them pretty far...
Jedi Skyler
Moff
Moff

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2005 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The personal shields have been seen in the books. Well, at least A book. In "Courtship of Princess Leia" Prince Isolder had one.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: