The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Trio of new force powers
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters -> Trio of new force powers Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 7:41 am    Post subject: Trio of new force powers Reply with quote

I am looking at making a 'mad hermit' sort of NPC for one module. I am looking at giving him the following 3 unique powers...

TK shatter.
Required powers TK,
Diff, 20+ target's strength or control roll. ARMOR does not add.

NOTE: if used while angry, or to shatter the skull or ribcage, it grants an immediate DSP. If used while at calm, or to shatter limbs, it does not.

Effect. This power allows the force user to shatter the bones in the target. He first off, selects a specific 'bone' group (eg ribcage, femer, hip etc) and makes the roll. Then consult the below, to see the damage delt.

Skull: 0-4, minor concussion, double round effect stun.
5-8, moderate concussion, 2 minute 'stun' effect.
9-12, major concussion, 2 hrs worth of -2d, as if wounded twice.
13-16, knocked out.
17+ skull crushed, DEAD!

Ribcage: 0-4, minor pains, as if wounded for 10 rounds.
5-8, moderate pains, as above, but increased to 20 rounds, and -2d from stamina checks.
9-12, increase penalties to -2d/30 rounds and -3d stamina. Also cannot move more than 10/round.
13-16, ribs busted. -3d/40 rounds (or until bandaged properly) and -4d stamina. Half speed move is all that can be kept up.
17+ ribcage destroyed, DEAD!

Hips or leg(s): 0-4, stun result to any action involving legs (like dodging) for 4 rounds.
5-8, -2d to all actions involving legs for 8 rounds. No more than 1 full move action (10 speed for most characters).
9-12, -3d for 16 rounds, and half move only.
13-16, character cannot move without aid, and is -3d for any roll.
17+, hips destroyed, needs cybernetic replacement.

Arm(s): 0-4, Arm sore. -1d with that arm for 4 rounds.
5-8, as above but -2d/8 rounds.
9-12, as above but -3d/16 rounds.
13-16, arm numb for 1 hr
17+ arm is crushed, and needs a cybernetic replacement (or clone grafting!).

Confustion.
Cont-Sense-Alter.
Requires affect mind.
Cont - 20 + proximity
Sense - 25 + relationship (or opposed sense roll + relationship)
Alter 25

This power causes the target (if successfully used) to be afflicted with confustion. No action's can be taken for 1 round per point over on the sense roll except purely defensive.

Silence
Cont-alter power
Control - 30
Alter - 30

This power, when used, creates a bubble of silence around the user, extending out 5 feet in all directions. Any sound created by the user or cause of his actions are not hearable by anyone outside the bubble.

First off. Are any of these over powered?

Are any under powered?

Also, for the latter, can you suggest some possible required powers?
Jedi Skyler
Moff
Moff

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would recommend that for the Silence power you have it be at least a SENSE/Alter power, since Control involves internal Force, and Sense involves the Force outside the user. If you want to argue for Control being involved since it's any noise the USER makes, and not someone else, then I'd say make it a Control/Sense/Alter power. But I think Sense should definitely be involved.

I'd also think perhaps Magnify Senses should be required. If you know how to magnify your senses, you would then be better able to obstruct someone else's. This could also then be modified by race if you want, making it more difficult to mute certain races' hearing than others, or if it's a race the character is familiar with, then little or no penalty. Something like that.

As for the TK Shatter, I feel this falls under the same purview as Injure/Kill or Telekinetic Kill. Either way, it ought to equate to an automatic Force point for using the Force in this manner. Also, this might not be a necessary power. One of the Nightsisters used the Force in "Courtship of Princess Leia" to shatter some of Han Solo's molars. I don't know which she used for certain, but it'd have to be one of those two, which would kinda negate the need for the new power. Just a new use for an old power...
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice for Silence...

As to the shatter, i was making it based off that nightsisters crushing of Han's teeth. I figure it not to be an instant DSP as it is not life threatning unless targeting the ribcage or head.... I could see someone only useing this power on an opponent's weapon arm, and remaining DSPless.
KageRyu
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2005 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I feel the Shatter power should grant a DSP for using it, as using the force to inflict harm or injury is the path to the dark side, and every other force power that can harm results in a dsp, even just for causing pain.
Ejacobs
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2005 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DSP. Definately. Any Force power used to inflict pain or harm an individual gains a DSP. Otherwise you could justify using choke to knock someone unconscious. Temptation leads to the Dark Side.

E
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 4:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fare enough... shatter now grants a DSP for use... Otherwise, are they ok??
Vartax
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2005 2:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Silence= sneak having no sound is okay, but in game terms if a Jedi was only using that skill on a dark night being surrounded by Defels, well I guess the Jedi would just have a ruff night. Obi-wan used the "jedi-mind trick" to sneak through the entire death star. I just don't see it as a realistic skill. It's a cool idea, but sneak is much more powerful.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2005 4:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

True, but look at the power activation numbers, BOTH 30's... And all it does is silence anything HE does, not anyone else. So if someone shot him, the explosion of the impact would be heard, but not the sound of him grunting..
Jedi Skyler
Moff
Moff

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2005 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
True, but look at the power activation numbers, BOTH 30's... And all it does is silence anything HE does, not anyone else. So if someone shot him, the explosion of the impact would be heard, but not the sound of him grunting..

I would think that if he got shot, he'd have to make a pretty good roll to keep the power up, so it'd be possible someone might indeed hear him grunt, scream, or whatever his response is.
Argamoth
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2005 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would Shatter be ok if it were used on an object? Like, a blaster or vibroblade...
Jedi Skyler
Moff
Moff

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2005 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, that's a great idea! Such a use, in my opinion, should not be given a DSP, since it's not directly focused on a person. Now, perhaps the shattered blaster wounds the person's hand. Might even escape the DSP at that point, since it wasn't a DIRECT attack. Thoughts?
Argamoth
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2005 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that's debatable. I'd say no, since TK could also be used to pin an opponent or in some way immobilize them.

Yes, shattering their weapon might cause harm, but that's not the intent of the attack. I think the Jedi would even try to minimize the damage done to the weilder.
Jedi Skyler
Moff
Moff

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2005 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

True... doesn't using TK in that fashion actually give the Jedi a DSP?
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IIRC< if you use TK to hold someone down, it is not a DSP. Though i can hear arguments blomming from the horizon.
Vartax
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 2:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

why not, as long as you aren't hurting them and can do it vs their strength.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: