The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Skills and what/who can do them
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules -> Skills and what/who can do them Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Esoomian
High Admiral
High Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2003 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have that book Embarassed

Can someone please post that info?
Loc Taal
Grand Master (Founder / Admin Emeritus)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2003 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's quite a bit of info there. I'll try to get to it some time in the relatively near future...

The original RANCOR PIT archive
Rathe Ehtar
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2003 2:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Time and money. That's all it takes to turn a simple stock droid into a skill master. Time and money. It just doesn't seem right. *sigh*

"I don't buy that cluck like a dog, bark like a chicken stuff." -Col. Jack O'Neill
Rathe Ehtar
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2003 3:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing I don't like about droid upgrades is this..
say a pc is a droid, in theory, its owner could just buy the skill upgrades and boost a pc. Custom rules should apply for such instances. What do you think?

"I don't buy that cluck like a dog, bark like a chicken stuff." -Col. Jack O'Neill
Loc Taal
Grand Master (Founder / Admin Emeritus)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2003 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PC droids still have to spend character points to "process" this new logic that is programmed into them after someone installs the software or programs them. I never really liked PC droid characters. To me, it always seemed like you shouldn't be able to play a droid, just because it's a machine. Here are some excerpts from the Star Wars Roleplaying Game Revised and Expanded book:
Quote:
...droids are not considered life-forms in the galaxy at large: they are property...
...A droid player character must have an "owner"...
...since droids are property, they aren't accorded the same rights as organic beings...
...Droids may not be Force-sensitive...

I always thought that droids should be NPCs insted of PCs, just because they aren't sentient beings.

The original RANCOR PIT archive
Rathe Ehtar
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2003 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I'm not sure about that.
I think if a player wants to play a droid s/he should go for it. Personally they are better off as living creatures I think. Still a player could put new "life" into a rather boring machine such a protocal droid. Perhaps the situation of the game is that the owner doesn't have the money to upgrade the droid, so it must learn on its own. Some droids could be fun to play when the MOG wants to try new ways of thinking. 4Lom for examle, at the end of his career was trainning to be a Jedi at Lukes Jedi Praxeum.

Vartax
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2003 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

True and many of the droids that are working for the Rebels are not being forced to do so. They are doing for their own purposes.
Tybalt
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2003 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thats a very good point, vartax. but i have to go with the other guys on this one, driods are not living beings, they cannot sense the force like a living being should be able to. They also must have a limit on their dice for skills. droids do not have minds that can learn, only be programmed to do make it look like they can.
Crell Damar
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2003 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

4-lom learned the force tybalt...
remember, the force is in everything.

Obi-Wan Kenobi
Rathe Ehtar
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2003 5:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, and droids can learn. If their memory is not erased, they could have very complex personalities spanning decades if not hundreds of years! Why should they have a limit on dice for skills? I mean, if you ditch progaming all together, the droids have to rely on character points to raise skills like everyone else.

The longest droid ever to exist in my game was a little droid named "Bomber". Now he was a GMC, but he was played as if he was a PC. I doubt any of my players would disagree. He had thoughts and feelings like any other sentient lifeform. And about the forcesensitive thing, take a look in the Star Wars Revised & Expanded character templates section. If droids can't learn the Force, then why does it leave the section on Force Sensitive open, instead of putting No?

All I'm saying is give droids a chance. They may be property and built in factories, but that shouldn't make them bad character choices.

Tybalt
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2003 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ya, you guys got me, i forgot all about 4-lom, o well.. actually a droid sounds like fun to play! Very Happy
Rathe Ehtar
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2003 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Totally. Replicant droids look and act human. Guri is a replicant droid. She's Prince Xizor's right hand in the Black Sun.

Ray
Commodore
Commodore

Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada, North America, Western Hemisphere, Earth, Sol, Western Arm, Milky Way

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2003 11:28 pm    Post subject: Droids... Reply with quote

My group has always stated that Droids can use Astrogation... It's a purely mathematical thing...

My GM has stated that Droids can't pilot anything more than in a formation, and had to be argued into that (His basis is on a few statements about the inferiority of droid pilots.). I do have to state that his knowledge of computer designs is limited (I can figure out various ways to make them... Semi-Efficient, but not as good as experienced biologics).

Aside from that, and breaking the LPP (Life-Protection Programing), Droids are pretty much like Biological PCs.

Ray.
Esoomian
High Admiral
High Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2003 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My GM has always let players play as droid, they get huge advantages in the fact that (with enough money) they can upgrade their attributes pretty far but this is countered by the fact that the general public treats them as tools, pets or actually dislikes them. They cannot expect to have any type of respect from anyone who has not gotten to know them.

It would be like a gammorian splicer. Who would believe the gammorian could or would splice well?

But droids can be fun to roleplay
Wookie rage
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2004 2:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would say that droids can do most things for the characters including piloting...I would suggest however that you be specific in what you tell your droid. Sure a droid could pilot for you but getting past the imperial customs officer is another story. Although, isn't that what the "LE Repair Droid" is for? And has anyone seen any stats for them?

"Let's just say we'd like to avoid any Imperial entanglements." ~Obi Wan Kenobi
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: