The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

The astrogation roll in the game??
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules -> The astrogation roll in the game?? Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ray
Commodore
Commodore

Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada, North America, Western Hemisphere, Earth, Sol, Western Arm, Milky Way

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2003 1:39 am    Post subject: My Group... Reply with quote

For the most part, I'm the pilot of my group... So I Astrogate. I usually get the skill at about 6D, and am happy, and, cash permitting, get a droid or two with it at that skill minimum as well as a back-up. Now, that's within the Outer Rim at the most distance from the Bright Centre of the Universe. Wink

My group also has a "Scouts" game currently going on, where we're, quite literally, 6+ Months away from the EDGE of the Charted Space Lanes!!! For that, my good ol' boy Duros, Xar, has himself 9D in Astrogation... In addition to *ALWAYS* plotting a return trip to Scouts End, just to make sure that the group is able to get back (I'm also the Autochef worker, so they still need me alive anyhow.).

Astrogation is often just an aside for my group... But mishaps do happen, and my GM has plans for that happening... From the dangerous, to the boring, to the downright hilarious!!!

The "Bob", from our "Gods of the Universe" game (A Mobequet Medium Freighter that cost more than 1 MILLION CREDITS after all the mods!) had just finished jumping to a Gas Giant ("Where the heck are we?"), and on sensors was... A STRANGE RECTAGULAR OBJECT!!!

Going on full combat alert, the Bob edged closer until it was discovered that it was...

An Old-Style Fizzy-Glug Vending Machine floating in space.

We tractored it in, had the coolant refilled, and put it in the bowling alley of the Bob (I told you, over 1 million credits!).

GMs, always be ready for the times they mess up! It can be worth your while!!! And, after they get back to base, and report to their superiors...

"That's all fine and dandy... BUT WHY THE HELL DIDN'T YOU DO WHAT YOU WERE SUPPOSED TO???" Twisted Evil

Ray.
Tybalt
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2003 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

haha, great idea, i gotta try that one
Rathe Ehtar
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2003 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I once had a moment in a game like that. The crew were just relaxing on their ship, when suddenly an object appeared in the distance. The captain squinted, leaned forward over the control panel and said, "Is that... a box?" My players looked at each other briefly, then pushed the captain aside.
"We're getting out of here." They took the helm, and blasted off at max speed in the opposite direction.

"I don't buy that cluck like a dog, bark like a chicken stuff." -Col. Jack O'Neill
Esoomian
High Admiral
High Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2003 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Oh no not The Box... my arm still hurts on cold nights." Laughing
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually this brings up a good questionm.

Say that player A is rolling the astrog for his group, and gets a 13. He knows that the diff for the roll is high (you said so), and says he wishes to roll it again... DO you let him?
Ray
Commodore
Commodore

Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada, North America, Western Hemisphere, Earth, Sol, Western Arm, Milky Way

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope. He think he did a good job with that roll.

However, the Navicomp may go, "What are you, an idiot?" and not allow the jump. It's an embarrasing thing for a Navigator, everyone will laugh at him, and he'll *THEN* get another roll. Twisted Evil
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 2:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

By the way. Has anyone played btb with astrogation. IIRC it says that to make the co-ordinates, they take 1 minute minimum? That is 10 rounds...
KageRyu
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1 minute actually equals 12 rounds. 5 seconds per round x 12 = 60
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought rounds were 6 seconds..... But if they are five, then it makes it worse..
KageRyu
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
I thought rounds were 6 seconds..... But if they are five, then it makes it worse..

1st edition and 2nd edition both say 5, and while I did not actually look in R&E to see if it matched, I see no reason they would suddenly change to 6. Though there are ways to speed up your astrogation roll, though these increase difficulty.
Boomer
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I go by the book, and do not let the players know of the difficulty they are rolling against. If they make it, they make it. Make it by more than a certain number, the trip is easier. Make it by less than 10, you don't even get the jump. Make it just within 10... well you plotted a course well enough for the nav-computer to not see anything wrong with it, but something still goes horribly wrong.
to finance my 'vette!
Kehlin Yew
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rathe Ehtar wrote:
I once had a moment in a game like that. The crew were just relaxing on their ship, when suddenly an object appeared in the distance. The captain squinted, leaned forward over the control panel and said, "Is that... a box?" My players looked at each other briefly, then pushed the captain aside.
"We're getting out of here." They took the helm, and blasted off at max speed in the opposite direction.

Just for that reason i installed a 'reverse' gear on my ship... it was a joke at first, then when i actually figured out how to make it work, i used it as a 'Anti-personnel' weapon... Twisted Evil
Ray
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2005 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We pulled the "Unknown" box into our ship and found out it was a vintage Fizzy-Glug machine.

We then had it refurbished, and put in the bowling alley in the ship.

Yes, it was the insanely tricked out B.O.B.
Darius
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My players dont have astrogation and rely on their astromech droids. Even with upgraded droids its quite funny when they still fail the roll. Especially since I wont allow Npc droids to spend character points.
KageRyu
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2005 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the question of re-rolling failed attempts that was brought up in this thread. Generally, I do not let players re-roll most failed attempts, as the character simply believes it is "beyond his ability". I had to start implementing this because of serious abuse and players constantly wanting to retry until they succeeded, which just slows the game down (I failed my tracking, well I'm going to keep re-rolling until I find what I was supposed to). I often explain this automatic failure on second attempts as timed events, destroying the evidence while bumbling around looking, etc. Rarely will I allow a new attempt, for things such as Repairs, or astrogation, after they attempt to engage the drive and nothing happens...etc. In any event, the re-roll isn't instant, and the player must take all the time again to attempt it. For many situations, I will not allow a reroll until a skill has been increased by at least 1 pip from the last attempt (learning a language, cracking a code, etc...).
I feel this is a fair way of maintaining game speed, fairness, and preventing dice abuse.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: