The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Help!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Adventures and Campaigns -> Help! Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ray
Commodore
Commodore

Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada, North America, Western Hemisphere, Earth, Sol, Western Arm, Milky Way

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2003 8:30 pm    Post subject: Hmmmmmmmmm... Reply with quote

My GM is partial to "Gilligan's Island" games as I call 'em.

Where we crash the ship on an uncharted planet for whatever reason and have to find the stuff to fix it/allow electricity to work again/find where the natives had somehow TOWED the bloody thing away/ect.

This is one of the main reasons that I've attracted the tendency of smashing my ships into... Well... Everything.

About the only thing I haven't hit with my ship was the broadside of a barn. (I did hit the narrowside of one, once, however...).

'Course... That's one of the main reasons we had "Vern the Verpine" with us. The Professor is his B****!!!
Rathe Ehtar
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2003 5:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A mercenary group is the easiest kind of group I had to deal with. They fly around until they find a mission. Anyone and their grandmother has a reason to hire a bunch of blaster toting grunts. But say you have a slicer in the group, okay so you do some hack jobs and the blaster toting thugs can stand guard, take out security, etc. Say you want the pilot to do more. So you do some smuggling on the side. He flies the ship, the blaster toting thug learns how to use the quad laser cannon while the rest try to help out.

The smuggler game was fun to play. You take a smuggler and his crew and they do jobs for some drop point agent. Simple stuff at first, the legal stuff. Then once in a while have them do a spice run, then see which they like better. Spice can be profitable, but very dangerous. The ships conman could get past the customs agent. The tech could hide the spice in a secret compartment. In between, TIEs or pirates could attack the ship. Pirates look for loot, Imperials look for rebels. Maybe after a few encounters with the rebellion, say on jobs and such, the crew decides to join. Rebel Ops are fun to play.

Rebel Operatives do all the same stuff mercenaries, smugglers, slicers and conmen do, except they do them for the rebellion. Remember that money is tight with the rebs, but rewards should be in doing good deeds, and new equipment is also good. The Jedi is the conscious of the group.
He's there to remind the others to do the right thing, even if he's not very skilled with the Force, his mindset is. And remember that the Force is always with him.

Jedi game, if you decide on a seperate Jedi theme you could do a classic Light side versus Dark side. Have a mysterious Sith lord attack the players, or perhaps he studies the players from afar. While the young padawans train under the wise and powerful GMC you've created, the Sith lord watches and plots his next move. Perhaps a dark side student challenges the padawans to battle. Will their training be enough? If you choose to do a mixed game pilots, techs and even the usual good hearted thug are welcome friends and allies. The pilot could fly the Jedi to a mysterious world and help them explore its secrets.

Lots of stuff to use can be found if you know where to look. I would look within for the ideas and the courage not to be intimidated by the role as MOG. Use the Force, Vex and remember this... "There is no spoon."

"I don't buy that cluck like a dog, bark like a chicken stuff." -Col. Jack O'Neill
Vex
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2003 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think pretty much all I need know is what the campaign should be about, something the charectors can really identify with. I know there gonna end up with or workin for the rebels after the first couple of missions, so now I need a story.

Guys, thanks for all your help, its reallly....well....helped!

(There is no spoon Wink )
Crell Damar
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2003 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, what kind of characters are we going to be including?
you're welcome Razz

Obi-Wan Kenobi
Vex
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2003 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, 2 are mercs ones a bonty hunter and the others a smuggler, I made them start fresh but gave em 2 extra d in skills and 25000 in stuff to make it more enteresting.
Crell Damar
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2003 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do the characters know eachother already?

Obi-Wan Kenobi
Vex
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2003 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah and one of them changed his mind(grrrrrrrrrrr.... Evil or Very Mad ) ones still a BH, ones still a merc, ones still a smuggler, and the others a pirate that just got kicked out so hes looking for work(wonder where hes gonna end up Laughing ).
Rathe Ehtar
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2003 4:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let them go on some sort of bounty. They seem to be a good group for that. Is the Pirate the pilot of the ship? Remember to keep the crew to one ship. It's a lot easier, trust me. Smile If the bounty hunter doesn't mind, you could stick them on a rebel operation from the get go. The Pirates of Prexiar is a cool adventure to start things off. It can be found in the Star Wars Revised & Expanded book. It has all the types of "encounters" your players could want.

"I don't buy that cluck like a dog, bark like a chicken stuff." -Col. Jack O'Neill
Wookie rage
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2003 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just an idea, you should always have a few random encounters ready. Characters can get off topic and it's always good to have something to help you get back on track with. I know I just read that somewhere (maybe somewhere around here Wink ) and it really does help. an example: the characters start to wander around the city, have them bump into a swoop gang that chases them to where you need them to go. Just an idea. 8)

"Let's just say we'd like to avoid any Imperial entanglements." ~Obi Wan Kenobi
Son of Fire
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2003 3:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The one thing I do is…when things start to get slow, have some action turn up.
The doors burst open with Imperials, pirates or whatever. Star Wars is an action movie, slow periods are all well and good for character development and such but to maintain the feel of the films, you need a goodly amount of explosions, chases, firefights etc.
"My schooling not only failed to teach me what it professed to be teaching, but prevented me from being educated to an extent which infuriates me when I think of all I might have learned at home by myself." - George Bernard Shaw
Jedi Knight Jael Weiss
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2003 4:31 am    Post subject: Timeline Reply with quote

Related to what kind of an adventure you plan on doing:

When you are running your game, give the group some kind of a hint as to what point in time they are playing in.

As an example, during the last game that I GMed back in June I gave our bounty hunter a "news bulletin" that said Princess Leia Organa was killed when her ship, the Tantive IV, was struck by a meteor over the planet Tatooine. Memorial service on Alderaan to be planned.

Of course, it's a bald-faced lie that was made up by the Empire (remember what Vader said to the Imperial officer? "Send a distress signal, then inform the Senate that all aboard were killed"), but now my players knew exactly, related to the movies, when they were playing.

And unknown to them, in either the next adventure that we play or the following one after that, they are going to be making a trip to Alderaan. Hmm. I wonder what they might run into when they get there...
Djas Puhr
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2003 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ragnar wrote:
you should create a common enemy for the PC's. A villian that is important to the story and to the players themselves. It gives them something to go after, and it keeps them on there toes.

Very good suggestion, Ragnar! Our GM ran an adventure for us a while back that started out as a simple bounty. The guy ended up being a fairly high-ranking member of a crime syndicate. We actually caught him for a short time, but he escaped and we never did catch him again. Now he is a recurring enemy for us. Sometimes our GM will have an adventure for us to specifically go after him. Other times he'll just show up in an adventure that we thought had nothing to do with him. He's an instant adventure hook for our group now. "Arg! Him again?! I hate that guy! We're going to get him this time!" Smile
zarkempt
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2003 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The guy who ran shadowrun for us, had this npc called "The Fr0g" and he was both boon and bane.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Adventures and Campaigns All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: