The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Nuclear Warheads
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech -> Nuclear Warheads
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Exoviper
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 12:21 am    Post subject: Nuclear Warheads Reply with quote

I was reading the Empire Invades Earth Sourcebook (great book by the way!) and sadly, I didn't see any stats for nukes either in the kiloton or megaton range. The book was ambiguous, mentioning that nukes would basically harass the Imps, adding that deflector shields could resist any bombardment.

1. I'm assuming "Any bombardment" refers only to planetary shields given that we've seen mere laser fire damage Stardestroyers. I'd imagine that a nuke, many times hotter than the sun, would do far worse if one were to avoid getting shot down. What do you guys think?

2. What would be the stats for a nuke (say 100 megatons?). 1 megaton is more TNT than all bombs dropped during WW2 altogether. The blast range for modern H-Bombs should be far greater and I'm assuming the damage would be as well.

3. Would the EMP effect imperial ciruts in any way?

4. I'm guessing that a 100 megatons would be anywhere from 10D capitol ship damage with a wide blast radius to mabey a couple of dice in Death Star damage.
Gigobyte
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

100 megaton nuclear weapon
Ranges PoI (Point of Impact) to 7.5km / 12.5km / 33km / 75km
Damage Ionizing / Near-total fatalities / widespread distruction / 3rd degree burns

D6 rules
Ranges PoI (Point of Impact) to 7.5km / 12.5km / 33km / 75km
Damage 10D(capital)/ 8D(starfighter)/ 5D(walker)/ 5D(character)
Plus all living characters and NPC's must make a heroic-heroic+ Stamina roll to avoid Radiation poisoning.

Just my thoughts.

took my ideas from this webpage, don't know if it is correct.
http://www.stardestroyer.net/Empire/Science/Nuke.html

ironicly it is called stardestroyer.net
Exoviper
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well that sure is a cool site! You have some good ideas there. I agree that capitol scale damage would work well for a nuke that size.

What about a detonation in space? The range would surely have to be altered, given that there wouldn't be any air to impede the movement of energy, or create a shockwave. I don't know what the physics would entail..... any ideas?

All I can come up with is that there would be a lot of radio disruption around the blast radius, physical objects floating in space would be hurled outward, and the damage intensity would probably remain the same, but with greater range....hmmmm...
Gigobyte
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am pretty sure you don't need to have stats for this kind of thing, as players should never have one and you as the storyteller should be describing the carnage anyway...
Exoviper
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now Gigo....anything is possible in an RPG, you know that. Come on, admit it. If you saw a stardestroyer in the sky blasting your home planet and you just happened to have infiltrated a nuke launch site....you'd be tempted right?

Nod Nod, wink wink....

It'd be a great fireworks display...

Besides, they made stats for the death star super laser right?
Exoviper
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

say Gig, I checked out that site you posted and boy did it have some serious commentary on the "physics" of a Turbolaser. FRom what I'm reading here, a nuke is by far obsolete in power. Although a nuke has a massive blast radius, Turbolasers essentailly have about 595 megatons per blast in a consentrated beam.

"A TL bolt directs essentially all of it's energy to a target, therefore, a TL bolt is at least as intense as the blast from an atom bomb, even if the bomb was detonated while in contact with the target. At greater distances, the intensity of the bomb's blast decreases exponentially. A single TL bolt should have the capability to level a small town, as the Hiroshima bomb did. "

He goes on to say that the blast would be concentrated, causing surrounding matter to melt into slag.

Nifty huh?
Volar the Healer
Jedi

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 11:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Nuclear Warheads Reply with quote

Exoviper wrote:
I was reading the Empire Invades Earth Sourcebook (great book by the way!)

Thanks. I kinda liked it too.

Exoviper wrote:

1. I'd imagine that a nuke, many times hotter than the sun, would do far worse if one were to avoid getting shot down. What do you guys think?

I'd guess a single nuke would vaporize an Imperial Star Destroyer if we could deliver it past their sensors, fighter cover, and laser batteries.

Exoviper wrote:
2. What would be the stats for a nuke (say 100 megatons?).

Everybody dies. Really, why bother? You must have a much larger table for playing Star Wars Miniatures Battles than I do.

Exoviper wrote:
3. Would the EMP effect imperial ciruts in any way?

Since we've seen the Death Star's shields and other electromagnetic sources can disrupt Star Wars communications, I'm going to guess; yes.

Exoviper wrote:
4. I'm guessing that a 100 megatons would be anywhere from 10D capitol ship damage with a wide blast radius to mabey a couple of dice in Death Star damage.

I'll stick with a cool description from far away. The players should probably never get their hands on such a weapon. Knowing PCs, they might do more damage to 'us' than 'them'.
Pel
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 5:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not so sure. Proton Torpedoes are nuclear, using some sort of hyper-plutonium called Nergon-14. Damage, of course varies according to the scale of the weapon.

I think the main reason traditional nukes don't see much play is they can be shot down by all those wizbang lasers. If one could smuggle a nuke onboard a capital ship, I'm pretty sure it would take out a good chunk.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ACtually, hows abot the baddies having a nuke, say under a newly made rebel base primed to go off, and it is the pcs task to try and disarm it..?
cyborgxxi
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2006 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know Garkhal, that's some.. weird thoughts! Getting too "what if"-fy, there. Haha... funny thought though.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: