The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Force Power Document - Revised and Expanded
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Tools -> Force Power Document - Revised and Expanded
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 9:59 am    Post subject: Force Power Document - Revised and Expanded Reply with quote

Hi. We've been distributing a Force Power document for a while, and it's almost as riddled with errors and omissions as the Tales of the Jedi Companion. Smile Actually, I made the document a long time ago and many of the powers were typed out by hand, and many of them were cut and pasted from other sources on the web.

The short of the matter is that I'm going through and doing some revisions. I'm wondering what you'd like to see in it. I'm working on getting all of the Force Power descriptions updated (though not necissarily verbatim from the books) to include all pertinant information, change the formatting, and the inclusion of the Sith Powers. Do you want to see the Witches of Dathomir powers/spells included, or does anyone really pay attention to that?
Gry Sarth
Jedi

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know, the witches of Dathomir is such a specific thing, that anyone who really wants to use it should just pick the Cracken's Threat Dossier Book.
cheshire

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm pretty relieved to hear you say that. Smile My opinion is that it would clutter up a book that already has twenty some pages of WEG Force Powers, and I've got about ten pages of powers converted from WotC stuff.

Fortunately Gary Astleford has done a lot of work converting most of the Powers out there. I'm working on the stuff from the Hero's Guide and the Ultimate Adversaries myself. However, I need to see if I can get my hands on a copy of the Ultimate Adversaries. Smile
Gry Sarth
Jedi

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're interested. I've cooked up my own version of "Force Jump" which I think work quite well. It's over at "House Rules"
cheshire

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've seen it, and it looks good. Real good. I'm really in a debate as to whether or not to include home-brew Force Powers. I've seen a lot of things in the movies that aren't well explained by the powers we've seen in the books. I've seen some really good home-brew powers to explain them. But I've also seen a lot of really bad home-brew powers. (Almost as bad as some of the WotC powers.) Smile We couldn't open it to any power that we've seen here and there on the net.

Perhaps a supplement would be in order, or do you really think home brew powers should go in the main body of the work?
Gry Sarth
Jedi

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it would be nice to have a book with 3 sections. Official WEG powers, converted d20 powers and homebrew powers. In the last section you'd have to exercise your common-sense to choose which ones are a valuable addition.
cheshire

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you think the Sith powers should be included with the list of Jedi Powers? I was going to list them in a separate section as did the Tales of the Jedi Companion.

Thanks for the input, I don't have much of an eye for layout.
Gry Sarth
Jedi

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's good to separate Sith powers from Jedi powers, since usually players are looking for either one or the other, not both.
Jedi Skyler
Moff
Moff

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree. There will certainly be some powers (like Injure/Kill, for instance) which are usually included in standard lists of Force Powers available for Jedi to learn that are really Sith powers, and it would be handy to actually have them under the correct section.

I also like the idea of three overall sections: Jedi, Sith, Home-Brew. Some people have worked very hard to come up with some good stats for powers that we see used in the movies/games/novels, but never in the stat books themselves. I say their hard work deserves to be noted and shared.
cheshire

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good point. Though I think that a peer-reviewed system would work best. I think that openly discussing the merits and liabilities of the powers before including them in the book would be good.

I think I have a fair ammount of common sense concerning Force powers, though I don't think one single person should be the gate-keeper. Particularly when there are a few opinions here that I greatly respect.
Gry Sarth
Jedi

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, there really must be a single gate-keeper, otherwise a final decision might never be reached. But you don't have to be a tyrannical gate-keeper. Listen to the valuable opinions of your peers and then pass your final judgement. In the end, it's your book.
jmanski

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gry is right, take a consensus and make a decision. Its your baby.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I vote their all sith 8) 8)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Tools All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: