The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

A new Galaxy Guide 13: Gamblers and Scoundrels has begun!!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Tools -> A new Galaxy Guide 13: Gamblers and Scoundrels has begun!!! Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tejma_Muhog
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Done:
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=D3XO8U6S
It's 56k, RTF format. I have absolutely no memory of where I got it or what the "Earth name" of its author is. I'd bet it will be of most use to gamers who are somewhat computer-illiterate -- if there even ARE any of them around here 8)
Jedi Skyler
Moff
Moff

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks! I'll grab it and take a looksie.
Jamfke
Admiral
Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a PDF version. I just whipped it up and it's a permanent link from Roleplayers Direct. I don't have a lot of web space currently or I'd be glad to host all the other files, but this one's small enough.

It'll open in a new window.

Enjoy!

Guide to Computers and Slicing
Trusty
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheshire wrote:

Do you want me to post the ideas here, or send them directly to you, Trusty?

BTW, is the work on this book still going on?

Yes. YOu can send them to me. THis book is still being worked on. These things take forever so props to all the guys who get them done in a timely fashion. Very Happy
cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry about being so late on that. I'll put that back higher on the priority list. Mostly I've just got a few advenutre ideas, and I'll get them typed out and to you as soon as possible.

I got excited with the Force Powers R&E and forgot about everything else.
cheshire

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The adventure ideas are still in the works. I started typing them out and one idea lead to another. Hopefully I'll get a bit more time to work on them this evening and maybe I'll have them ready for upload in the morning.
cheshire

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the adventure ideas and they're going to be in your inbox soon. If you want more, then let me know. We might even be able to expand on some one of these and turn it into a full length adventure.

If anything else comes to mind, I'll write them down and send them in.
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 6:51 pm    Post subject: Gamblers and Scoundrels, and Galaxy Guide series Reply with quote

I don't know if a fan-made Galaxy Guide on Gamblers and Scoundrels has actually ever been made, but I believe that the original idea for this came from the article entitled "It's a Gambler's Life" from Star Wars Adventure Journal #4. I didn't see the article mentioned in this thread so I thought I would bring it up. It deals with the many different types of "gamblers" in the galaxy, and I feel it would be an invaluable resource for this guide. It has a short story mixed with game resource material and stats for a few characters from the story. The article is also preserved on Hyperspace with everything from the original article except the GC stats.

And even though he didn't mention it in this thread, I've read that Gry Sarth (creator of the excellent Attack of the Clones GG) planned to eventually give his full GG treatment to The Phantom Menace, and that he intended on calling it Galaxy Guide 13 to preserve the numerical continuity of the series. Since AotC has already has been realized as a Galaxy Guide volume, I do think it would be best if TPM is also part of the same series (and Revenge of the Sith for that matter).

So would it be possible to save "13" for TPM and make the Gamblers and Scoundrels GG "16" instead? Then the RotS GG could be "17." And that would also mimic the numerical relationship of the original GG series # 1-5 (the film guides were every other volume and odd numbered). So, in other words, this is my proposal for Galaxy Guides 13-17:

GG 13: The Phantom Menace
GG 14: The Dark Side
GG 15: Attack of the Clones
GG 16: Gamblers and Scoundrels
GG 17: Revenge of the Sith

And yes, I'd be happy to help with providing source material for the three unreleased guides, and I also may even be inspired to help with the writing/editing as well. I was so impressed with GG 15 that I am having a copy printed up and bound so I can have a physical book on my shelf with my other GGs.

Anyway, Trusty, Gry Sarth and everyone else, please chime in with your thoughts! And if there are any updates to these projects, we would love to hear about them also. Thanks.

And if a moderator feels this post should be moved to the sticky thread for fan-made sourcebooks, then that's cool.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Gry Sarth
Jedi

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really like you suggestion, and it makes a lot of sense. As long as someone is still thinking of doing the Gamblers and Scoundrels sourcebook.

Oh, and if you haven't yet printed GG15, I'd suggest you wait a little bit. I'm in the (slow) process of revising that book, and hopefully I'll release a new edition with a few tweaks and corrections, nothing major, just some slips that were annoying me.
DarthMortis
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gry Sarth wrote:
Further into Pazaak, as I remember it. A standard deck has 10 cards +1 to +5 and -1 to -5. When play starts you get 5 of your cards (you can look at them) at random to play. The dealer draws you a card from his deck (I think they are numbered at 1-10 or something) and you can either add one of your cards or leave it as is. Then the dealer draws a card to the other player. Then it's your turn again, and so it goes, adding card after card. The goal is to get a total of 20, or the higher hand. It goes on until you've either reached 20, bombed out or decided to stay with the amount of cards you have. Whoever has the higher card count wins, ties do not count. When one of the players wins 3 times, the game is over and he wins the bet.

Then there's the issue of side-decks or special cards. You can buy those and each has a different value (+7, -6, etc.). Some can be flipped during gameplay (ex: +-5, +-3) and there are some others I don't remember. you can own zillions of different cards, but when the game starts you have to select only 10 of them to be your deck. And then only 5 of them will actually make it into a game.

Now, how to D6 it. It's a fairly straightforward game, with very little bluffing involved. It envolves luck and a good gambling sense to know which of your cards to use and when. And having and selceting a good deck also helps a lot. So I agree that the simplest way to do it would be to make opposed gambling rolls. When a player wins 3 of those, he wins the game, ties don't count. Custom cards can have a gambling modifer value of +1 or +2, depending on cost. but remember that only 5 cards come into play.

I agree that there is very little bluffing, but if you have read the Darth Bane : Path of Destruction novel, you could use con or some other skill to goad your opponent into trying to win against their better judgement
"I believe the Jedi are weak so they give up their emotions. I believe the Sith are weak so they give up to their emotions. I lay somewhere in the middle, not afraid to keep my emotions, but afraid to lose myself in them." - Daroth Mortanis
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gry Sarth wrote:
I really like you suggestion, and it makes a lot of sense. As long as someone is still thinking of doing the Gamblers and Scoundrels sourcebook.

Oh, and if you haven't yet printed GG15, I'd suggest you wait a little bit. I'm in the (slow) process of revising that book, and hopefully I'll release a new edition with a few tweaks and corrections, nothing major, just some slips that were annoying me.

I really, really like it and really, really want a physical copy! But I haven't printed it yet, and I do appreciate the update, Gyr. I will attempt to exercise patience and wait for the revised version. I know you'll let us know when it's available.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Gry Sarth
Jedi

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will do. Hopefully it won't take long. But with life the way it is, you never know...
cheshire

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If we were publishers, we'd have a release date. But we're fans doing our own writing and editing between our 2-3 jobs, family life, and even a little bit of seeing sunshine. Smile
Trusty
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm still kind of on this job. But, I don't know who all was supposed to be working on what.

If anyone wants to get on this and revamp it. I am game, as long as it can be a team effort.

I am trying to do it in the same vein as GG 6, 9, 10, & 11 so it can go along with those.

I need tons of help though. I wish I were Gry in that I could work alone, but I am not the SW force of nature that he is.

Anyway, I have tons of preliminary stuff on this book, but again, I need help to keep it from becoming a mammoth.

I really think I need the following:

1. An Editor to control content, determine what goes in and what doesn't, and someone more loyal, discerning, and knowledgeable about the Star Wars Galaxy than myself to keep things reigned in, as well as determine the content of pre-existing materials verses new materials to be included. Also, someone to determine which era (or era neutral) this book should be written in. Finally, someone to keep the book from being too wordy. I hate wordy books.

2. Someone to stat things.

3. I need a co-writer on the content.

4. Someone to write adventures, and adventure hooks.

5. An artist.

6. Researcher...someone to point to d6 books and page numbers, d20 books and page numbers, and Wookiepedia pages for points of interest.

One person can perform more than one duty. I just need some help.

Pretty please. Very Happy

P.S. I still have my Table of Contents the same, and my working outline is more streamlined now, but perhaps still too stocked with unnecessary ideas. Of the actual GG, I have a full 14 pages worth of written content (a draft anyway) for the book (needs an editor's touch and approval though).

Let me know if you want to help and I will send you what I have.
cheshire

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At least for the short term, I can't commit. If you talk to me in early September, then I might have a clearer picture of what I'm doing. Right now I'm getting things prepped for an ethics class where I'm having to write my own portion of text. Essentially I'm having to crank out 7-15 pages per day (depending on the length of each chapter) to stay on top of things.

I'm also on the latest conversion project.

However, when 1) the course text is finished, 2) my courses have started, and 3) I've got my section of the latest conversion guide done, then I can lend more help here.

I've already got a few things written for the book that I sent in ages ago. I think I can cook more things up if you'd like.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Tools All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: