The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Lightsaber features
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech -> Lightsaber features Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 13, 14, 15  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Should WHITE be allowed as a lightsaber blade color?
Sure
84%
 84%  [ 76 ]
No, because they aren't in the movies/games
4%
 4%  [ 4 ]
No, because there are no crystals that allow them
2%
 2%  [ 2 ]
No, because you can't have white without black
1%
 1%  [ 1 ]
No, but I don't know why
3%
 3%  [ 3 ]
I don't know / I have no opinion
4%
 4%  [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 90

Pel
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Esjs that color is solely dependent upon the crystal used. I'm particularly reminded of that fake diamond Corran used in his saber with spectacular results.

As far as expanding the blade width, I'm doubtful. Changing the length, requires only the shortening or expansion of the plasma arc along its longitudinal axis. The width remains constant. Altering the latitudinal axis of the plasma arc could cause it to miss the emitter on its return trip, causing some unexpected and potentially disastrous consequences.
Jedi Skyler
Moff
Moff

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another good point. In order to have a wider blade, you'd have to have a wider emitter matrix to accommodate the blade. Basically, IMHO, this would therefore amount to an overall bigger lightsaber- something akin to the lightsaber wielded by the bigger of the "twins" in the Jedi Knight game. I think this would be the only way to have the possibility of a wider blade, and for someone not of bigger stature like the aforementioned example, there ought to also be penalties for wielding such a weapon, as it would be more awkward to use- provided some VERY clever design implementations were not used in its creation...
darthomer09
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mmm. Gorc's lightsaber kicked arse.

In Soviet Russia, RPG plays you!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Chabit Rane
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I also go with the color of the crystal used. But the way I work it in the game is simple too. If a character that is force sensitive does not have a lightsaber, he uses the force to find the "right color" crystal. The player still gets to choose the color though.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Jedi Skyler
Moff
Moff

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2006 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

darthomer09 wrote:
Mmm. Gorc's lightsaber kicked arse.

Yeah, until I cut him in half... Twisted Evil
Firehawk0220
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2006 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

White might be somewhat impractical as it is kind of blinding, but otherwise, I think it should be allowed. There is nothing saying that white crystals can't be made or can't be found. Though it has never been done in anything canon.

I personally have had a character with a white lightsaber blade. Though it was many years ago.

I say, if you can have purple, and all the other colors, then why not?
Pel
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2006 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about a multi-colored blade that transitions on its own. Not the multi-colored variety Corran used with several different crystals, but one that just shifts colors as it operates rather like those new fiber optic decorations.
Jedi Skyler
Moff
Moff

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2006 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I personally would find that quite feasible- the Jedi uses a multi-colored gem, and as the energy is focused through, it goes through different colored sections at different times, thus giving the coruscating effect.
darthomer09
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2006 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In "Darth Maul: Shadow Hunter" there is a part where Maul takes the time to forge a specific color (red of course) crystal. Who's to say that you can't with other colors?

In Soviet Russia, RPG plays you!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
PC-032
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've bean runing on the Colours linked to personal qualitys, though it is not requiered most Foece users are drawen to colours assoated with that Quality or aspect of the older form of the Jedi Code.

Red = Passion

Green = Harmony

Blue = Serenity

Purple (Indigo) = Emotion

Don't know where to go with the other three parts of the Colour spectrem, I thinking of Violet = Knowledge, Yelow = Peace or Justus (if you want to get away from the Jedi Code) but Orange has me stumped, Perhaps Igronance? not as in advancing the Quality but as a way of admiting you know little about the universe.

Most Dark Siders are Drawan to Red bacause they are concumed by their Passions. Hate, Anger, Fear, Desire and so forth. Purple/Indigo would be a very Rear Colour amoung Jedi bacause few would have the Strenght of Will and understanding of the Force to both be guided by and still Controll their Emotions. this leavs most Jedi using Blue and Green as they reflect the qualitys of Serenity and Harmony respectivaly
Chandra Mindarass
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We handle it this way.

1.RPGame canon
    2.movie canon
    3.other sources (Kotor, comic books, novels)

The movies are holy, but everything else could be extaggerated, propaganda or simply wrong.

The story I came up with goes like this:

There are four basic types of Adegan:

blue (Ordegan)
    green (Verangan)
    yellow (Tionan)
    red (Möch Karr)

They have different stats. Green has stronger base damage, Blue gives a plus to LS combat, while Red can have various effects as they are synthetic crystals only produced through Sith Alchemy. Yellow ones are good for parrying blaster, but they were originally grown from red ones, so the Jedi didn't allow their knights to have them.

I imported the idea from Kotor, that it was possible to built a lightsaber in such a way, that it accepts a power crystal. Windu had a blue blade, added a reddish power crystal for a different effect, that had caused his blade to become purple. Power crystals cannot be used as Adegan, but give the blade extra damage vs electronics, an extra control dice, better parries or other boni. This explains a LOT of different colors and why they are so rare. A blue blade with a special power crystal might be able to shift the color from blue to white.

>-q=p---
OtterJethro
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I havent read everyones comments because frankly it is alot but I do know that in the Jedi Academy trilogy, doesnt the guy that built one listening to Exar Kun that accidently killed himself use a white saber?
Ankhanu
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some of this, obviously, will be repetition of other's posts.

I kind of dislike the idea of colours having meaning; what it comes down to is preference, modified by availability. Sure, that's not to say that certain personality types can't gravitate towards a certain colour, but using that to determine a saber wielder's personality is probably about as effective as using a mood ring to determine the current disposition of your girlfriend. (oi and I just read the post on mood sabers after writing that... yuck Razz )
I think it's important to note the difference between literary symbolism and what might be a reality.
From what I've read and seen, a Jedi tends to keep the same saber until it is lost or destroyed. If the colour of a saber is to reflect a Jedi's attitudes and affinity towards the Force, it would then be more of a snapshot of who/what the Jedi was in relation to the Force at the time of the saber's creation. Of course, as they gain experience, their understanding and affinity witht he Force is likely to change... making the colour a historic artifact in their development, more than any kind of real reflection of who/what they are now.

As for possible colours, I pretty much think that almost anything (within reason) goes (ie. as has been said, no invisible, lava lamps, etc). I don't see why white couldn't be a colour (though I think black would be far more difficult to explain); part of why we haven't seen white in the movies, etc is that it sure would make for boring and hard to follow special effects; colours look so much more impressive. Crystal availability would certainly modify the colour possibilities.

jenth wrote:
I had always liked to believe that the color of the blade was inversely related to the color of the crystal... Thusly a Blue crystal would yield a Orange blade. a Green crystal would yield a Red blade. I don't recall my exact reasoning for this, but I do recall that it made good sense to me at the time, so I continue to use it as a rule in my games.

Sounds simply like you're working with complementary colours (colours directly opposite one another on a colour wheel). Complementary colours make one another appear more intense (probably simple wave frequency amplification).

And to clear up terminology with "monochromatic"; monochromes include a single hue (undiluted colour) and all of its tints (addition of white) and shades (addition of black); not simply a particular hue... so white and black are the extreme elements of every hue.
Jedi Skyler
Moff
Moff

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 4:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OtterJethro wrote:
I havent read everyones comments because frankly it is alot but I do know that in the Jedi Academy trilogy, doesnt the guy that built one listening to Exar Kun that accidently killed himself use a white saber?

Actually, he built a lightsaber with a purple blade, an adustable blade that doubled in length.
awfulalex
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I know they can use different crystals to be able to get variable lengths. I am not sure why Jedi would want to have all different colours, but I would say each of those crystasl could mean that each blade length is different colour.

Also why if he uses a bigger crystal can his blade not be thicker?

I can just see the Jedi at their party's going: "Yeha Baby - Mine is thicker and longer." Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 13, 14, 15  Next
Page 6 of 15

Jump to: