The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Giving a DSP for killing a helpless being?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters -> Giving a DSP for killing a helpless being? Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Give out DSP
Yes
47%
 47%  [ 9 ]
No
52%
 52%  [ 10 ]
Total Votes : 19

Sandokiri
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maximilian Bernas wrote:
The Force Point was spent before the creature was dead, but after the GM decided it was to retreat.

How many of you would know when a bear is retreating or just circling out to try a new attack?

Precisely. Unless your Force-sensitive character is competent with beast speech or some other Sense-related skill, he would not know that the creature was leaving the engagement.

The problem, however, is this: the wyrm was clearly unconscious after the third hit. The other nine hits were to "make sure it was dead." This is the point at which the FS gets the DSP.

Quote:
However, the Force Point was not used at a dramatically appropriate moment, and not during the time that he/she and/or the party was in mortal danger. Ergo, no Force Point is returned.

This skirts the issue of the Force-sensitive character's actions, which I think are suspect, but not inherently evil.

But, what I want to know is, 12 actions? With the expenditure of a Force Point? You wanna run that one by me?

I imagine that the character has about 7d naturally; doubled by force point, -11d MAP for 12 actions, leaves 3d for each attack. Core rules as written don't limit the number of actions by anything other than the ability to actually roll for them.

Remember that the rules as written don't limit how many actions you *can* take in a round; they only provide for what happens if you do. Any limits are house rules.
Starla Starfighter
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Killing a dangerous predator that has threatened your group is not evil. It might even be heroic to leap onto and kill this menace to humainity.

If I were camping and ran into an attacking pterosaur, I would empty my weapon into it - not shoot one bullet at a time and gauge it's response.

The FS (I'll call him Sir George) gains his force point back plus another for placing himself at risk to save the group.
Gry Sarth
Jedi

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow. This proves you will always find someone with an opinion diametrically opposite to the general consesus.

I'm not criticizing your opinion Starla, I'm just noting how interesting this fact is. And healthy I might add. Goes to show we can never expect everybody to act and think the same....
Volar the Healer
Jedi

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We used to give honour to our knights who slayed dragons.

(and just as an aside, a wyrm is not a being.)
Volar the Healer
Jedi

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gry Sarth wrote:
Wow. This proves you will always find someone with an opinion diametrically opposite to the general consesus.

Laughing Yes, that's what we used to call "thinking for yourself." Laughing
Gry Sarth
Jedi

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pretty sure that's outlawed in most states nowadays....
Volar the Healer
Jedi

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gry Sarth wrote:
Pretty sure that's outlawed in most states nowadays....

Hmmmm. I fear you may be right. That might explain why it's getting harder and harder to find role players.
daphnebluestrat
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it were me, my verdict would run thus:

Knifeman gets his FP back but doesn't get another one. It seems to me that he acted heroically, in leaping onto the back of a massive beast intent on making the rest of the group wyrmfood (bad pun intended).

Force-sensitiveman doesn't get his FP back but doesn't get a DSP either.

Killing a non-sentient creature in self defense (even if it had just gone unconscious) is not, in my opinion, evil, or at least not the same sort of evil as killing a sentient being.

And indeed, how were the characters to know the wyrm was really retreating? Perhaps, as some have mentioned, it was only a method of preparing for another attack?
Tahlorn
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2006 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For set situations:

Wyrm attacks, and knife guy has to use the fp to keep from being killed, running away would not be an option, had no other real chance: 50/50 on giving it back

Wyrm attacks, knife guy yells at group to run while he fends of oul beast: fp back

Wyrm attacks, rest of party ready and able, fp possibly useful to get advantage: no return of fp.

Wyrm, after runnning and/or unconcious, or jsut running after it, and figured that it shall revive and then come and attack again: no dsp

Same, but know will not return: dsp

Creature is beaten off, and mortally wounded, so decides to kill it for mercy: no dsp

So, from what I gathered, fs gets DSP, knife man not get fp back, but give a chance later for him to earn one through heroic action later. Not forthe fs character though.
DoubtBreak
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 12:59 pm    Post subject: Self-defense, mercy killing, and brutality Reply with quote

One detail I think should be brought up here: in the Geonosis arena battle (Episode 2), Obi-wan is attacked by the acklay (large green insect). He severs both of its front legs with his lightsaber, more or less eliminating it as a direct threat- it will have difficulty moving, and has lost its main attack appendages (except for its teeth). However, he hits it twice more, to finish it off.

Normally, killing a (more or less) defenseless creature is considered an act of unnecessary harm. However, I think it's important to realize in this situation, the creature would have been unable to fend for itself if re-released into the wild. It would have starved to death or been killed by other predators, either of which is a greater amount of suffering than two quick, clean strikes of a lightsaber. There is a point at which allowing a creature to live is a greater act of cruelty than killing it.

From the way you described the situation with the wyrm attack, it doesn't seem like one of those situations- you say it "decided to retreat.". Also, I wouldn't let characters get away with this kind of logic lightly ("I injured it, guess that means I HAVE to kill it now...") but thought it was worth a mention.

And in case anyone cares any further about my opinions... I'd say that a Force Point is a reasonable expenditure by someone armed only with a vibroknife who's being attacked by a 60ft creature (although you don't mention what kind of skill ratings he has)- if it was me, I'd give it back to him. After the creature starts retreating, though, I'd think that the Force-Sensitive character should get the DSP for attacking it- an attack based on the idea of "it might come back later" is, at the most basic level, an attack motivated by fear. Fear leads to... well, you know: the dark side, eventually.
Pel
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 4:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll take Dark Side Point for $500, Alex!

I'd have given one out for that particular situation, but then I try to keep the Jedi pretty much on the straight and narrow path. With great power comes great responsibility and all that.
Robert
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, i thank for all your postings and thoughts about this moral dilemma. I finally gave the FS his DSP and Mackie Messer didnīt get his FP back. By the way: he wasnīt directly attacked by the wyrm - he drove a skimmer above him, so he could jump unto it. The onboard-guns didnīt do enough damage according to him. But that doesnīt matter to me now except for academical purposes - the story goes on. Thanks again!
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2006 2:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So you gave the force sensitive one, for using a FP to attack it, but not one to the guy who killed it after it was out cold???
Robert
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2006 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Much confusion. Sorry for that. The name Mackie Messer is from the at least in germany well-known play "Drei Groschen Oper" by Berthold Brecht. The character Mackie Messer (meaning Mackie Knife translated into english) is a brutal robber and murderer reknown for his weapon, the knife. Therefore and because of the alliteration the name is often associated to all kind of knife-fighters.

The force-sensitive killed the wyrm after it was knocked out. Both used a forcepoint to augment their attack. None of them got it back.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: