The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Boring space battles
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters -> Boring space battles
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gollummen
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 1:44 pm    Post subject: Boring space battles Reply with quote

We have a small problem in our group.
We have a pilot who LOVES his spaceship.
He modifies it and nurses it like a child.
The other characters in the group are a ninja-type, a gunslinger, a force user and a private eye.
My problem is finding stuff the other characters can do while they are in space battles. We have only run 2 space battles in 1/2 year, but the other characters seem to become a little bored.
They donīt really have any useful skills so it is mutch easyer for the pilot to do the stuff himself.

I was hoping some of you could share how you handle this sort of situation.
Thanks.
All stats 2D, except: brawling parry: versus boxing 2D+2, melee combat: swords 3D, melee parry: swords 2D+2, languages: english 2D+1, scolar: history 3D, scolar: social studies 2D+1, brawling: boxing 2D+2, computer programming/repair 2D+1.
Xenon
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How big is the ship?
If it's a freighter (or bigger), have them boarded either before or during the battle. (The attackers hid somewhere, knowing they couldn't defeat the heroes) Also, put some hard obstacles (an asteroid field, etc.) in their way, and send TIEs after them. This way, everyone gets his share. Of course, the gunslinger could help by manning the turret(s), and the force user could "see" enemies on the ship, stopping them from reaching either the turret or the cockpit (depending on the ship).
Other ideas are: combined forces attacks (you'll have to split the group), dropship missions (starship drops off troops, and then supports them)
I hope this helps, at least a bit.
PoorGM
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 2:20 pm    Post subject: Space combat Reply with quote

does the ship have any turrets ? the others can man them even if they have to use default skills *and it would make them think about getting the skills*. Also have the ship take minor damage when it gets hit , Cargo slides free and has to be tied down, a fire breaks out, The shields go down but the pilot is too busy flying to fix'um so they have to do it. The Hyperdive motivator has been polarized and has to be replaced until them no jump to hyper space is possible etc etc :O).

You say they others are combat types ok have the ship hit by a one of them torpeado full of droids from eps 3 and run a battle to clear out the ship while the pilot does his thing. The possiblites are endless !

Hell have the main cockpit controls blow out so the pilot has to shout commands back to some one in engine room who's using the backup controls but can not see out side the ship !

Pilot "Left , hard Left" ..."No your other Left !" ...."Mind that cargo pod ! " BANG !!!

its a great way to get PC's to pick a few more skills rather than going the combat monster path.

regard

The PoorGM
Boomer
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
He modifies it and nurses it like a child.

How many people you know that modify children? The heck? Shocked

No seriously, here is what you do. Set them against a simple pirate with a Big ship that can carry small craft, Ion Cannons, and Boarding Craft.

Pirate Carrier begins targeting the ship, occasionally it gets hit sending it to just follow it's last persistent command and/or go into safety mode and shut down functions.
All the while the boarding craft are coming, modified 8 man escape pods piloted by droid brain/remote gunner on the cap ship combo. Since when a ship has controls ionized it can do nothing, while the players are rolling to repair the boarding craft get a free shot.

Once hit, the ship may or may not be sent spiralling out of control, requiring a piloting roll to stabilize once controls are back up.

The boarders are going to cut through the hull, they are going to make it in. They have plenty of time and there is always a good chance their boarding craft is under the guns and cannot be shot off, if they made a good pilot/collision check.

While all the other crap is going on with having to repair the craft, they are boarding. Arm them with some stunners and light space suits with maybe 1d against energy. Stun grenades, Tranq Gas, and other non-lethal, and of importance to the pirates non-ship harming weapons. They want the ship as a whole.

Now, wether or not the board and repair of the ship is succesful, stuf on the ship still works. The idea PoorGM mentioned with manually running engines works. Use commlinks, have them coordinate.
Pilot makes a command roll. If he fails they get no bonus this round. He rolls a new command roll each round until he gets one that works and they can begin using bonuses.
Pilot also makes a piloting roll, his skill for his decision. Total roll for the crew is never going to exceed this piloting roll.
The crew rolls their skill in something like power systems, or whatever deals with that ships specific engines. If they do not have that, apply appropiate increases to the piloting difficulty.
Not under a good command roll, the person with lowest dice in the skill they use rolls. Under a good command roll, the person with highest rolls and adds the bonus.
Remember, they can never exceed the pilots piloting roll as they are doing as he commanded.
Also, no bonus to manuvering, and they might have to make some kind of engine/computer/power system roll to get them online just to be able to activate engine and have speed other then drifting.

...oi, I could go on...
to finance my 'vette!
Firehawk0220
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Xenon wrote:
How big is the ship?
If it's a freighter (or bigger), have them boarded either before or during the battle. (The attackers hid somewhere, knowing they couldn't defeat the heroes) Also, put some hard obstacles (an asteroid field, etc.) in their way, and send TIEs after them. This way, everyone gets his share. Of course, the gunslinger could help by manning the turret(s), and the force user could "see" enemies on the ship, stopping them from reaching either the turret or the cockpit (depending on the ship).
Other ideas are: combined forces attacks (you'll have to split the group), dropship missions (starship drops off troops, and then supports them)
I hope this helps, at least a bit.

Exaclty. This is very close to how I do it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: