The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

GMs Playing PCs
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters -> GMs Playing PCs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tysonator
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 4:08 am    Post subject: GMs Playing PCs Reply with quote

Hey all,

My second official post! Woot! I love these forums!
Ok, my question:

So I'm (first time GM) going to run "Tatooine Manhunt" for my little brother (first time RPer). He's playing a Jedi. Do you think he can get through the adventure alright by himself? I don't know the line between NPC characters and PC characters controlled by the GM, but I was thinking of making a droid and some other character to help my brother's Jedi character in the adventure. They wouldn't really be the brains of the operation, just kind of follow along, helping where needed.

What do you all think the line is? I was thinking that if I was being a true RPer/GM, that I could help my brother out by playing one or two extra characters, and I wouldn't be aiding him in anyway (i.e. disclosing story/campaign information) if I just played the characters and came up with decisions while in-character; I would be fine.

Thoughts? Any help would be wonderful!
Thanks guys!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Gry Sarth
Jedi

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, there's no such thing as a GM PC. If the GM is playing the character, then it's an NPC. The only gray area is if one of your players missed the sesion and, in order to keep his PC in, the GM plays him for that adventure. It's a temporary PC-turned-NPC status.

I think it's a good idea for you to make a couple of NPCs to help this Jedi along the adventure. Having some an NPC or two in the adventuring party helps the GM control the game a bit more. The NPCs can bail the PC out, if needed, or can propel the game forward if the PC gets stuck. I wouldn't recommend making more than 2-3 NPC, as they will either dominate the game or become too diluted in the background.
Firehawk0220
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gry Sarth wrote:
Well, there's no such thing as a GM PC. If the GM is playing the character, then it's an NPC. The only gray area is if one of your players missed the sesion and, in order to keep his PC in, the GM plays him for that adventure. It's a temporary PC-turned-NPC status.

I think it's a good idea for you to make a couple of NPCs to help this Jedi along the adventure. Having some an NPC or two in the adventuring party helps the GM control the game a bit more. The NPCs can bail the PC out, if needed, or can propel the game forward if the PC gets stuck. I wouldn't recommend making more than 2-3 NPC, as they will either dominate the game or become too diluted in the background.

Agreed 100%. That's the same thing I generally do.
Pel
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I regularly inject an NPC or two into the adventure to keep things interesting and to occasionally act as a failsafe (stuffing the smuggler under the table right before he insults the drunk Wookiee's mother, etc.).
Tysonator
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great! Thanks for the advice guys! It helped me out a lot!
Later!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: