The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

List of Skills
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules -> List of Skills Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jedi Skyler
Moff
Moff

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I have a couple people with slicing skills. They're the first I've run who've had such abilities, and I've been finding a good bit of things I can do with them, just on the Computer Prog/Repair skill alone... I'm sure the Linguistics would open up even more avenues for them, were I to really think about it...
darthomer09
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shot in the dark here. Maybe it could be used to simply translate a language better. For example, putting Japanese in a translator like babelfish could get you a messed up over-literal translation.

In Soviet Russia, RPG plays you!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
DoubtBreak
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In case no one else has thought of it, I'd think that Linguistics could also be used to study the way non-sentient creatures (such as banthas or tauntauns) communicate with each other.

As an advanced skill, I - like Jedi Skyler - expect that characters could find creative uses of it that allow them to attach their Linguistics skill dice to other (non-Knowledge) skills, although the only one I've ever really considered is Communications for breaking codes.
Hellcat
Grand Moff
Grand Moff

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, the real world definition of linguistics is that it is the systematic study of languages. The languages skill is pretty much used to speak and understand a different language from Basic. So linguistics in game could allow a character to understand dead languages, ancient languages, or be able to take a language of a before unknown civilization and compare it to known languages to see if the character can figure out what is being said.

Wanted Poster
masque
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 5:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
In case no one else has thought of it, I'd think that Linguistics could also be used to study the way non-sentient creatures (such as banthas or tauntauns) communicate with each other.

Non-sentient creatures by definition don't have a language, so linguistics would be rather useless in that respect.
Pel
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Doubtbreak is on to something there. While animals are not sentient, many have well-defined and documented languages. The concepts expressed vary from simple conditions like fear or happiness as expressed by dogs and cats to complex directions passed on by honeybees after returning to the hive.

I'm not sure how much I would use something like this in my game, but it is definitely worth considering and would make a fine sub-plot or plot device.

*Bantha approaches excitedly and grunts/groans/barks or whatever it is that banthas do*

"What's that?"

*More animal noises*

"Little Luke's fallen into the well?"

*Some affirming variant of the aforementioned noises*

"Great job! I'll get some syntherope. Show me where!"

*More affirming noises, some anxious pawing at the ground, and the pair are off the rescue the stuck Luke*

--sorry, definitely channeling Lassie there. And probably Flipper as well. Laughing
masque
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a bit of a hobby subject to me, so excuse me while I go on.

Noises that express displeasure at physical distress or immediate danger are not the same thing as language. Human babies have that, it is not language, that develops later. The pheremonal communication of insects aren't what I would call language either, I'd treat it more as biological-based programming code.

Language involves abstraction, awareness of ephemeral concepts like yesterday, or complex emotions. For something to be a true language it should have the capability to talk about things with no physical existence, like aesthetics, or philosophy. Communication experiments with other species have largely determined that cetaceans like dolphins and whales are capable of these types of distinctions, but primates, for instance, are not. Primates are intellgent to a degree, and can be trained in sign language, but so far haven't displayed a grasp of abstraction. The same thing process is involved with training dogs, the primates have a higher degree of this functionality, but it doesn't approach the abstraction capability that seems so far to the best indicator of sentience.

I'm not saying that interpreting beast noises isn't a useful skill, but linguistics is not the skill it would be covered under. Zoology, or behavioral psychology would be a better fit.
Chabit Rane
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I have to agree with masque on this. The (A)Linguistics skill, in my opinoin, should be for translating dead languages and unknown languages.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
masque
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't limit it to unknown or dead languages, linguistics is a great field that deals with the evolution of language, modern dialects, all kinds of things. Granted, those uses are the ones most likely to be useful in an RPG context, say, if you created a character like Daniel Jackson from Stargate. But it could also help in programming protocol droids, translation devices, anything, so long as applies to actual language use.
Pel
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, gee, if you're going to get all serious and start tossing proven facts at me... Laughing

*chuckles* That makes sense. I still might have Benny the Bantha appear in my campaign though... Very Happy

Serious question: How would you categorize the bee example I mentioned? I'm thinking directions are a sort of abstract concept, but then I haven't looked into this at all.
masque
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For bees, I direct you to my comment from above where I said "The pheremonal communication of insects aren't what I would call language either, I'd treat it more as biological-based programming code."

And it's not so much me getting serious, it's just that linguistics and semantics are topics I enjoy, so I'm showing off, Razz
DoubtBreak
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I realize I'm in the minority here, but...

I've been under the impression that the Linguistics skill - un-specialized - is a fairly broad topic, encompassing not only spoken language but also written ones, languages that are primarily gestural, and those that use a combination of ways to communicate. It includes not only syntax but also incorporates elements such as inflection and pitch (when spoken), body language and facial expression (for direct communication and sign languages), and so on.

Although it's not the intended use of linguistic knowledge, it's reasonable to expect that a person who's had experience in studying the way these elements combine to form various systems of communication (again, not just the study of a single language- that would be a specialization of the skill) would be at an advantage in an attempt to:

- Recognize a creature's warning cry that communicates danger

- Determine whether an animal that is acting strangely is hurt, frightened, or about to attack

- Realize that an insect is conveying directions to the other members of its hive

And so on.

Indeed, this is a bit of a stretch for Linguistics, but as others have pointed out, the skill is already going to be fairly un-used. Making a separate skill for animal communication (since the system lacks any animal-related skills save that used for riding) seems like it would simply create another skill no one would see any reason to invest CPs in. And on the subject of of game mechanics, "the translation of dead languages" is a pretty narrowly-defined use for an advanced skill (which is relatively expensive)- by comparison, there are at least 3 distinct uses for Medicine (bacta tank operations, surgery, and cyborging).
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

masque wrote:
I wouldn't limit it to unknown or dead languages, linguistics is a great field that deals with the evolution of language, modern dialects, all kinds of things. Granted, those uses are the ones most likely to be useful in an RPG context, say, if you created a character like Daniel Jackson from Stargate. But it could also help in programming protocol droids, translation devices, anything, so long as applies to actual language use.

I love the daniel jackson comparison. But if i was to allow it in game, i would only let him use his (A) linguistic skill for those sort of languages.
masque
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 2:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DoubtBreak,

Quote:
I've been under the impression that the Linguistics skill - un-specialized - is a fairly broad topic, encompassing not only spoken language but also written ones, languages that are primarily gestural, and those that use a combination of ways to communicate. It includes not only syntax but also incorporates elements such as inflection and pitch (when spoken), body language and facial expression (for direct communication and sign languages), and so on.

That's reasonably accurate.

Quote:
Although it's not the intended use of linguistic knowledge, it's reasonable to expect that a person who's had experience in studying the way these elements combine to form various systems of communication (again, not just the study of a single language- that would be a specialization of the skill) would be at an advantage in an attempt to:

- Recognize a creature's warning cry that communicates danger

This isn't hard, anyone could puzzle that out.

Quote:
- Determine whether an animal that is acting strangely is hurt, frightened, or about to attack

This goes into behavioral psychology, linguistics has little to do with it.

Quote:
- Realize that an insect is conveying directions to the other members of its hive

Entymology.

Quote:
Indeed, this is a bit of a stretch for Linguistics, but as others have pointed out, the skill is already going to be fairly un-used. Making a separate skill for animal communication (since the system lacks any animal-related skills save that used for riding) seems like it would simply create another skill no one would see any reason to invest CPs in. And on the subject of of game mechanics, "the translation of dead languages" is a pretty narrowly-defined use for an advanced skill (which is relatively expensive)- by comparison, there are at least 3 distinct uses for Medicine (bacta tank operations, surgery, and cyborging).

Personally, with D6 being such a simple system, I've never had any problem inventing a skill when I thought one was needed, particularly when it has an analog in the real world that doesn't require too much explaining. Animal Communication is something I would consider to be a specialization of Beast Handling (a broader skillset which I would consider the Beast Riding in the rulebook to be a specialization of) or the aforementioned Behavioral Psychology (I could argue for it in both cases).

Any animal with a communication method sophisticated enough to be able to interact with a player on a meaningful level likely has a level of sentience, and is therefore using actual language, in which case linguistics, works. By necessity they would not in fact be an animal, just a low grade sentient. Anything without that degree of sophistication can be handled by the AC specialization mentioned above, as I can't see any situations cropping up that couldn't be modeled by a beast handling or an academic situation.

In terms of game play, I see it breaking down like this: Unless one has a character that is some type of academic, I don't see them having the Linguistics skill in any case, at which point it defaults to either the Knowledge or Perception attribute with a heavy penalty. I'd say if one was running a Scout type campaign, or galactic archaeology (Indiana Jones in Space), Linguistics would be useful, but aside from that, I doubt it would crop up.
Pel
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is definitely overlap. I'm thinking of Cultures and Alien Species in particular. Each would definitely help to identify the general message.

Not to fixate on insects, but I'm thinking of introducing some Killiks or a similar insectoid hive mind species into our current campaign. All our members read the latest trilogy and really liked it, so I might do something with that.

Other than pheromonal or telepathic contact between hive members, would the 'dancing bee example' qualify as language? They use that to impart precise directions to other hive members and I'm thinking of using something similar if I make a species from scratch. Any thoughts or suggestions?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: