The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Vader's stats??
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Tools -> Vader's stats?? Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pel
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
There is no evidence that any Jedi trained in the traditional ways during the Old Republic ever recieved blaster training.

Ok, where's the evidence that they did not receive the training?
Jedi Skyler
Moff
Moff

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Firehawk0220 wrote:
There is no evidence that any Jedi trained in the traditional ways during the Old Republic ever recieved blaster training.

Would this perhaps suffice as evidence?

ANDUR SUNRIDER
Type: Jedi Apprentice

DEXTERITY 4D
Dodge 5D+1, Lightsaber 6D, Melee Combat 4D+2, Melee Parry 4D+1, Pulse-wave Weapons 5D, Vehicle Blasters 4D+2

ARCA JETH
Type: Jedi Master

DEXTERITY 2D+1
Bows 3D, Dodge 6D, Lightsaber 10D, Melee Combat 7D+2, Melee Parry 7D+1, Pulse-wave Weapons 6D, Vehicle Blasters 5D+2

CAY QEL-DROMA
Type: Jedi Knight

DEXTERITY 3D
Brawling Parry 4D, Dodge 5D, Lightsaber 4D+1, Pulse-wave Weapons 4D+1, Vehicle Blaster 3D+2

These are taken from the first three sets of stats in the Tales of the Jedi Companion. EACH of these Jedi characters, who served in the Old Republic, had what amounted to blaster skills. (Pulse-wave weapons being the Old Republic equivalent to the modern blaster, of course.) While these stats do not come from the movies, since we are talking about WEG D6 stats, and WEG published the book I pulled the stats from, I'd say that there IS evidence for Jedi having blaster skills.

Having said that (primarily for those of us who might be wondering if there is indeed any precedent or evidence for Jedi having such a skill), I personally agree with Orgaloth's statement. If you don't like Vader having a Blaster rating, take it off his character sheet. You're the GM, so it's your world. Wink That's the beauty of being the one in charge! 8)
Hellcat
Grand Moff
Grand Moff

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, their not WEG stats, but here are some for Old Republic Jedi from the D20 system who have blaster listed in their stats. Which I would point out are converted over to WEG stats with the blaster skill and we never see these folks (Dark Forces II: Jedi Knight appearances) using anything but the Force and a lightsaber as weapons.

Qu Rahn:
Feats: Dodge, Endurance, Exotic Weapon Proficiency (lightsaber), Force-Sensitive, Martial Arts, Persuasive, Skill Emphasis (Empathy), Weapon Group Proficiency (blaster pistols, simple weapons).

Maw:
Feats: Cleave, Combat Expertise, Dodge, Exotic Weapon Proficiency (lightsaber), Flyby Attack, Force-Sensitive, Mobility, Spring Attack, Trispzest Mastery, Weapon Group Proficiency (simple weapons, blaster pistols), Whirlwind Attack.

Jerec:
Feats: Blind-Fight, Exotic Weapon Proficiency (lightsaber), Force-Sensitive, Weapon Group Proficiency (blaster pistols, simple weapons).

All three were Jedi when the purge came, only Jerec and Maw ended up turning to the dark side after the purge. Then you have Komari Vosa, who was trained as one of Dooku's last padawans before he became Maul's replacement and who ended up turning to the dark side. She appeared in the game Bounty Hunter, though I don't know what weapons she was seen using.

Komari Vosa:
Feats: Alter, Ambidexterity, Control, Exotic Weapon Proficiency (lightsaber), Force Mind, Force-Sensitive, Infamy, Sense, Skill Emphasis (Control Mind), Skill Emphasis (Knowledge [Sith Lore]), Two-Weapon Fighting, Weapon Finesse (lightsaber), Weapon Group Proficiencies (blaster pistols, simple weapons).

Or how about these Jedi:

Tru Veld: appears in the Jedi Quest books
Feats: Dodge, Exotic Weapon Proficiency (lightsaber), Force-Sensitive, Gearhead, Weapon Finesse (lightsaber), Weapon Group Proficiencies (blaster pistols, simple weapons).

Obi-Wan Kenobi:
Feats: Combat Reflexes, Dodge, Exotic Weapon Proficiency (lightsaber), Force-Sensitive, Improved Critical (lightsaber), Low Profile, Weapon Finesse (lightsaber), Weapons Group Proficiency (blaster pistols, simple weapons).

Yoda:
Feats: Combat Reflexes, Exotic Weapon Proficiency (short lightsaber), Force-Sensitive, Heroic Surge, Improved Critical (short lightsaber), Persuasive, Weapon Finesse (short lightsaber), Weapon Focus (short lightsaber), Weapons Group Proficiency (blaster pistols, simple weapons).

Mace Windu:
Feats: Combat Expertise, Combat Reflexes, Dodge, Exotic Weapon Proficiency (lightsaber), Force-Sensitive, Improved Critical (Lightsaber), Improved Martial Arts, Martial Arts, Mobility, Spring Attack, Weapon Focus (Lightsaber), Weapons Group Proficiency (blaster pistols, simple weapons), Whirlwind Attack.

Siri Tachi: from the Jedi Apprentice, Jedi Quest, Secrets of the Jedi, and Boba Fett books
Feats:Alter, Burst of Speed, Control, Dodge, Exotic Weapon Proficiency (lightsaber), Force-Sensitive, Persuasive, Sense, Weapon Group Proficiency (blaster pistols, simple weapons).

Felanil Baaks: WotC created for Living Force Campaign, Jedi known for crafting lightsabers
Equipment: Blaster pistol, +3 mastercraft lightsaber constructed by Felanil Baaks, Jedi robes.

Feats: Force-Sensitive, Improved Initiative, Skill Emphasis: Craft (lightsaber), Spacer, Weapon Finesse (lightsaber), Weapon Focus (lightsaber), Weapon Proficiency (simple weapons, blaster pistols, lightsaber).

Ambaln: WotC created for their Swim Meet adventure
Equipment: Blaster pistol, comlink, credit chip, Jedi utility belt, lightsaber, worker droid, whitecloak fighter.

Feats: Exotic Weapon Proficiency (lightsaber), Force-Sensitive, Headstrong, Stealthy, Weapon Focus (lightsaber), Weapon Group Proficiencies (blaster pistols, simple weapons).

Plo Koon:
Feats: Cleave, Exotic Weapon Proficiency (lightsaber), Force-Sensitive, Great Cleave, Power Attack, Starship Operation (space transport), Sunder, Weapon Group Proficiencies (blaster pistols, simple weapons).

Just some examples I've been pulling off WotC's website. As I said, we're able to convert to WEG thanks to sources like The Rebellion, and in doing so we end up with the blaster skill. It's more intresting to see the movie Jedi with blaster pistols listed in their stats yet only one who we see pick up and use a blaster. But it would seem to suggest that Jedi are trained to use blasters, though they'd much rather use lightsabers.

Wanted Poster
masque
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2006 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do not understand why there is such an antipathy to Jedi being able to use the single most common weapon in the Star Wars galaxy. Yes, lightsabers are their traditional and preferred weapons. That doesn't mean they can't use blasters, it's just not primary.

A warrior who can't use any kind of weapon available would be pretty damn useless, particularly warriors that are supposed to be as badass as Jedi. I would expect they would learn the basics of a wide variety of weapons while training, including blasters, knives, swords, staves, force pikes, and probably others. Even if the only reason they learned to use those weapons were to figure out how to counteract them with lightsabers, they would have SOME experience with them.
jmanski
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2006 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And perhaps they receive training with blasters in case their lightsaber is not available (ala Ob1 vs. Grievous). Why would you train with 1 weapon and 1 weapon only.

Jedi: "the batteries have run out in my lightsaber, I must now surrender as I can not fight with anything else." Rolling Eyes
Gry Sarth
Jedi

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2006 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd just like to point that I wholeheartedly agree that most Jedi should receive at least a basic blaster training. The reasons why have already been very eloquently voiced in this thread by the other posters, and I second them (mainly, it's the nr1 weapon in the galaxy, Jedi can't remain oblivious to it). I mean, in the real world, even some housewives take some firearm training for self defense, why would a warrior cast ignore it completely.

But, as always, your game is your game. If you don't think Jedi should touch a blaster with a 10 feet pole, then they simply don't. And nobody has a beef with it.
Jedi Skyler
Moff
Moff

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gry Sarth wrote:
I'd just like to point that I wholeheartedly agree that most Jedi should receive at least a basic blaster training. The reasons why have already been very eloquently voiced in this thread by the other posters, and I second them (mainly, it's the nr1 weapon in the galaxy, Jedi can't remain oblivious to it). I mean, in the real world, even some housewives take some firearm training for self defense, why would a warrior cast ignore it completely.

But, as always, your game is your game. If you don't think Jedi should touch a blaster with a 10 feet pole, then they simply don't. And nobody has a beef with it.

That's right. As I said before, it's YOUR world, man! Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Tools All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: