The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Wookiee Claws / Berserker Rage
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules -> Wookiee Claws / Berserker Rage Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jedi Skyler
Moff
Moff

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally I don't have a problem with the +2D bonus. After all, a knife is STR+1D. Now multiply that by five, which is basically what you have coming out the ends of the Wookiee's fingers. Instead of adding a 1D bonus for each claw, which would be an astronomical bonus, just adding 2D isn't that unreasonable for a being whose strength is already legendary.

Plus, I also believe that for this act to be so abhorrent to the Wookiee community, it ought to have a pretty decent payout for them to actually do it.
Gry Sarth
Jedi

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That makes a lot of sense, Skyler. Even though I wouldn't equate a single wookiee claw to a full blown knife, five of those things side by side could equate to a +2D damage.

And you're also correct that if a wookiee came to the desperate decision of using his claws for attack, thus dishonoring him forever, it should have as an outcome some graphic carnage.
Jedi Skyler
Moff
Moff

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's right. I mean, if people say, "Let the Wookiee win" when they DON'T use their claws, just imagine the bloody spectacle if they did. Shocked
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 2:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

But how would you have that ahborance/explusion come into play? What if they never go back to Kaysshik?
Raiz
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 3:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My opinion is these claws are not mainly for attacking purpuses. I am not so sure that you can slice a stormtrooper armor with wookie claws. However some kind of combat gloves can be used for much effective strength usage in brawling combat.

On the other hand I want to change the direction to another thing related to the subject - the wookie rage.

With rage the book says you lose from every non strength related skill check (which makes you really DUMB!) in exchange for 2D brawling damage. Personally under these circumstances I never want to get in rage (which is in fact the best ability - has to be at least - of the wookie).

The rage shall give pure strength in my opinion. Jumping, Lifting, Brawling it shall effect every strength related thing including damage soak.
Esjs
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
But how would you have that ahborance/explusion come into play? What if they never go back to Kaysshik?

That is a tough question, especially in an age when most Wookiees are enslaved. To me, unless the Wookiee is a psychopath, he or she has to live with the fact that the claws were used (sorta like living with a Dark Side Point). They know they did something bad and might even exile themselves.

Raiz wrote:
On the other hand I want to change the direction to another thing related to the subject - the wookie rage.

With rage the book says you lose from every non strength related skill check (which makes you really DUMB!) in exchange for 2D brawling damage. Personally under these circumstances I never want to get in rage (which is in fact the best ability - has to be at least - of the wookie).

The rage shall give pure strength in my opinion. Jumping, Lifting, Brawling it shall effect every strength related thing including damage soak.

I can see your point, but consider how strong Wookiees already are. If you're suddenly using 6D-7D to soak up damage (and possibly even more for jumping, lifting, and brawling) even if everything else is penalized by 2D, it seems to me that you now have a super tank and it might be a balance issue. At least that's the way WEG saw it, I think.

But if you don't think there's a balance issue, and everybody who's playing agrees to it, then by all means tweak the rule. I just wanted to point out what it really implies.

Edit: Also consider how much damage is being done by a Wookiee using a melee weapon (str-based damage). Shocked

"Esjs" == "Jess"
Jedi Skyler
Moff
Moff

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"...Well, I speak LOUDLY and I carry a BIGGER stick!

"...And I use it, too!!!"

-Yosemite Sam
Jamfke
Admiral
Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shocked

Bwaaaahaaahahhahhaahhahahaahaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!!

Razz
Jedi Skyler
Moff
Moff

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing Razz 8)
Vartax
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Knowing that in that system the wookies where always at War with the trandoshans I'm pretty sure that when the Galactic republic came into the system the trandoshans would point to the claws and would have said they are monsters that need to be destoyed. (it might not have worked then but Palpatine was sure listening when it came to wookie slaves). Being such an honorable race and not wanting to be known as mosters across the galexy I would see that they would want to keep there claw using to honorable uses. Thus Such honor would prevent the use of powerful weapons. STR + 2D is a must!!! The real question you need to ask is what the cap is for the claws as weapons.... 6D....7D....8D...
Raiz
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 4:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Esjs wrote:

Edit: Also consider how much damage is being done by a Wookiee using a melee weapon (str-based damage). Shocked

Only 7D with Vibroaxe (STR+3D) because it says the Max Damage is 7D Sad
Consider a wookie with 6D Str hitting with bare hands (without that claw option) for 6D and with the Vibroaxe for 7D...

I never understand limitations... If a species is strong in strength, it shall hit HARD... and with a vibroaxe it shall hit harder... the thing "balancing" is so stupid sometimes. Instead books shall give advices such as "Don't get into melee contact with a wookie if he is using a vibroaxe and looks angry at you. " or "Just run!"
Rasputiza
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or simply throw him a pile of Wookie Cookies(tm)... Very HappyVery Happy
Jedi Skyler
Moff
Moff

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"...Now available at Wal-Mart, Meijer, Kroger, and other fine grocers near you!" Laughing Laughing Laughing
Vartax
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raiz wrote:
Esjs wrote:

Only 7D with Vibroaxe (STR+3D) because it says the Max Damage is 7D Sad
Consider a wookie with 6D Str hitting with bare hands (without that claw option) for 6D and with the Vibroaxe for 7D...

I never understand limitations... If a species is strong in strength, it shall hit HARD... and with a vibroaxe it shall hit harder... the thing "balancing" is so stupid sometimes. Instead books shall give advices such as "Don't get into melee contact with a wookie if he is using a vibroaxe and looks angry at you. " or "Just run!"

You can only do so much damage.... If a wookie can with 7d strength attacks you and punches right through your stomach he is not going to do any more damage by doing the same thing if he was using his claws or not... bottom line is there is still a hole i the stomach/midsection. Now with different kinds of damage cutting in this case.... it is easier to try and cut the suspension cable that punch through it. Thus the damage cap would be needed, other wise you break your claws or the blade you are using.
Jedi Skyler
Moff
Moff

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That might be true when you're dealing with a Wookiee who punches a hole clean through another sentient... but you're going to want to have that extra damage if they're, say, trying to rip a door off its hinges, or punch through a wall, something of that nature. If there's a way for the Wookiee to rack up even more damage, those are a couple examples where it'd be pretty flippin' handy to have the extra D of damage. Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: