The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Legal WEG PDFs
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Tools -> Legal WEG PDFs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 8:40 am    Post subject: Legal WEG PDFs Reply with quote

Hey. I dropped a notice of this on another board, but forgot to here. The new WEG products (not the old Star Wars stuff) is being released in PDF format. It makes a cheaper (and legal) way to get the books at a greatly reduced price.

http://www.rpgnow.com/default.php?cPath=_1_365&

I've got D6 Space and it's got some good points and bad points.

Good points:
- The starship creation system looks very interesting. It's something that the 2eR&E lacked.

- Using an alternative damage system is useful when players are fighting large creatures. I'll use Body Points if they're fighting, say, a rancor.

- Advantages and Disadvantages are interesting, and can give some inspiration from developing house rules.

- Occasional additional mechanics may be useful, like using related skills when performing a task.

- Much better art than in most Star Wars books

Bad Points:
- Most new mechanics didn't need to be invented, as the R&E rules worked better.

- Fewer examples than I would have liked.

- The Advantages and Disadvantages had poor mechanics, though they could be adapted into house rules.

- Some possibly useful equipment was reduced to nonsense without the use of any sort of monetary system. Instead there is a "Funds" attribute that you can roll to see whether or not you can afford the item.

- The book isn't very well organized.

Overall:
I'm going to be using the R&E, but I think that I wouldn't mind adapting a few ideas in the D6 Space book into some house rules. I bought a hard copy, and I can't say I regret it. I thought that the quality of the book would be a bit higher, given how incredibly good the R&E was. I think that this gives me some really good guidelines for Star Wars house rules, and it sets up some decent things if I'm going to run a super hero oriented game, or if I was going to runa Firefly campaign.
masque
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At some point I'll probably buy the hard copies of the new D6 books, but I can't stand rpgnow.com. They DRM their stuff, which makes it a pain in the @$$ for some uses. I have no problem with paying for pdf's, provided that I can actually use them fully, with no restrictions. If I buy, I from http://e23.sjgames.com/, as they don't do any of that goofy crap. It's nice to deal with a company that actually trusts their customers.
Camero
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Masque
That link was a dead end for me. Is it just my server or is the link missing something? Anyone else tried?
masque
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try it without the comma:
http://e23.sjgames.com/
cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What does that mean that they DRM their stuff?
masque
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DRM = Digital Rights Management. It's a Windows specific copy protection scheme that has incompatibilites with certain other operating systems and readers. Basically, if something is DRMed, you are limited in the ways you can use it.
Order66
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

masque wrote:
At some point I'll probably buy the hard copies of the new D6 books, but I can't stand rpgnow.com. They DRM their stuff, which makes it a pain in the @$$ for some uses. I have no problem with paying for pdf's, provided that I can actually use them fully, with no restrictions. If I buy, I from http://e23.sjgames.com/, as they don't do any of that goofy crap. It's nice to deal with a company that actually trusts their customers.

I beg to disagree. None of the RPG Now's Pdfs are DRM protected.
Even drivethrurpg has stopped using this method of protection, except for the WotC pdfs.
masque
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I apologize for my comments about RPGNow then, it was drivethru that I must have been thinking of. If DriveThru has stopped too, cool. I'll add RPGNow to my shopping queue.
KageRyu
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been trying to keep up on the revival of D6, and have acquired many of the new books in hardcopy. While I like the direction they are trying to go, I agree that they did not organize it very well, and in many ways it felt "too generic". I have always liked the idea of advantages and flaws, but felt that the ones in the new D6 trilogy were really poorly handled overall, and kind of glossed over (made overly simplified with poor explanations). I also felt that having to "Convert" from Adventure to Fantasy to Space defeated the entire purpose of having them as one so-called system (the differences aren't overwhelming, just enough to be a major nuissance).

If you are thinking of checking it out, I would recomend saving a few dollars and checking out just 1 of them in the cheaper and legal PDF incarnation before buying the hardback (I spent almost $90 on the trilogy and am somewhat dissapointed).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Tools All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: