The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Clever uses of force powers
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Characters, Droids, and Species -> Clever uses of force powers Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hellcat
Grand Moff
Grand Moff

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If they cut them down in defense of themselves or others, then I say no. If they have no good reason for doing so, then I say yes.

Wanted Poster
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 2:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BTB using the force to injure or attack is of the dark side, and deserves a DSP. For some reason though, they consider using a LS, even when force enhanced to be ok...
Pel
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that only evil actions warrant DSPs. Pulling the pin on a Stormtrooper's grenade to provide a diversion or to prevent an attack is perfectly justified. Doing it just for fun is probably dabbling in the Dark Side. Granted, the Jedi in question isn't out slaughtering passersby (we hope) but there are different levels of evil.

If the Jedi drops something on the head of an opponent, is this necessarily evil? That depends on what was dropped and why it was dropped. Did the Jedi drop a rock on an Imperial's head to render them unconscious? If so, great. Kudos for not chopping them up with the lightsaber. Did the Jedi drop an anvil on a salesperson's head because he was annoying? Ok, that's funny, but evil. DSPs all around.

In most cases, intent is everything. The most notable exceptions that spring to mind are Force Lightning, Force Storms, and Bolt of Hatred. In each case, the Force user is channeling anger to create a physical manifestation of searing Force energy, ostensibly to fry someone. This is definitely evil. Do not pass go. Do not collect 200 credits. Just take the Dark Side Point and move on to whatever mayhem is next on the list. 8)
Hellcat
Grand Moff
Grand Moff

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Again I think self-defense or defense of others plays a big role in awarding DSPs in such situation. If a Jedi is dropping something on someone's head that they know or suspect will kill that person just as a means of escape, then I'd say award a DSP because the Jedi is pretty much knowingly commiting murder just so they can escape. The Jedi could try dropping something else on their target's head, something that will knock them out rather than kill them.

As for the grenade, using the Force to pull the pin as a means of escape or diversion is murder. That grenade is going to explode and the Jedi has killed that person just as surely as if they threw the grenade at them themselves. If they pull the pin but the keep the grenade from going off in some way, then it is a diversion, as long as the Jedi makes sure it doesn't kill the person.

If the Jedi is in the midst of a battle and does any of these things, then they are killing, but it's not as much in the way of murder as it is self-defense. You're busy fighting for your life, it's either you or them. Even the Jedi know this. Obviously they would prefer to get away without killing anyone, but sometimes they can't do so.

Wanted Poster
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 2:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hellcat wrote:

As for the grenade, using the Force to pull the pin as a means of escape or diversion is murder. That grenade is going to explode and the Jedi has killed that person just as surely as if they threw the grenade at them themselves. If they pull the pin but the keep the grenade from going off in some way, then it is a diversion, as long as the Jedi makes sure it doesn't kill the person.

If the Jedi is in the midst of a battle and does any of these things, then they are killing, but it's not as much in the way of murder as it is self-defense. You're busy fighting for your life, it's either you or them. Even the Jedi know this. Obviously they would prefer to get away without killing anyone, but sometimes they can't do so.

Agreed. If the jedi was in battle with those stormtroopers, i would have no prob with him killing them. But since they are not, they are just guarding his cell, thne to me, killing any of them would be murder.
Pel
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The grenade example depends greatly upon how the individual GM wants to play it. In that specific example, I would ensure that the ticking grenade was noticed by someone, unless the Jedi specifically stated that he wanted to arm it on the sly. In that instance, it's murder and grounds for a nice shiny DSP. Of course I usually play a fast and light-hearted game, so our results may not be typical. Each scene could play out any number of ways, depending upon individual style and preference. Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Characters, Droids, and Species All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to: