The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Particle Sheilds?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules -> Particle Sheilds? Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rathe Ehtar
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2003 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, not officially. Who knows, that could be one way to improve hull, however, if you drop shields, your hull will drop even more.

"I don't buy that cluck like a dog, bark like a chicken stuff." -Col. Jack O'Neill
Esoomian
High Admiral
High Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2003 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmmm so can you increase your hull strength in any way officially?
Rathe Ehtar
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2003 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know the official rules for improving hull. That is not covered in the Star Wars R&E. I do, however, as a rule not allow hull improved higher than +1D+2 like everything else. Check Platt's starport guide, or a revise trampfreighters for more details.

"I don't buy that cluck like a dog, bark like a chicken stuff." -Col. Jack O'Neill
Ray
Commodore
Commodore

Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada, North America, Western Hemisphere, Earth, Sol, Western Arm, Milky Way

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2003 10:00 pm    Post subject: Yep Reply with quote

Tramp Freighters Guide has the rules for it.

Basically replacing hull plating, reenforcing it, enhancing structural integrity fields, allowing the hull to be polarized to better hold together, ect.

The "Falcon" took a bunch of old Capital Ship Armor Plating shot off during the Battle of Nar Shaddaa against a small Imperial Force (That was bought off and whose commander was *ORDERED* to loose), which was melted down and formed into hull plating for the YT-1300. These, however, were heavier in weight than the old hull plating, and were only put over major systems to protect them (Engines, hyperdrive, ect.).

From second-hand knowledge with the Trucking Business (The closest thing we got to the "Tramp Freighter" business IRL, I believe), there would most likely be "Asteroid Runner" varients of Freighters around... Tougher (+1D to Hull), but able to haul less cargo (Due to the added weight of a reenforced skeleton and hull). These would most likely run food and medical supplies in exchange for the higher quality ore (The major imports and cheap ore would wait for the Bulk Freighters, or be brought to/from them via a string of Non-Hyperdrive equipped Reenforced Light Freighters).
Rathe Ehtar
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2003 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Tramp Freighters Guide has the rules for it.

Was that the first/second edition Tramp Freighters? I've seen that book and the mods for ships don't work anymore for R&E. Maneuverability +4D+2 please... Rolling Eyes

Loc Taal
Grand Master (Founder / Admin Emeritus)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2003 2:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are two direct quotes from the Second Edition of Galaxy Guide 6: Tramp Freighters:
Quote:
Due to current technology standards, it is impossible to improve a hull code by more than +1D+1

Quote:
Due to current technology standards, it is impossible to improve the maneuverability by more than +1D+2

The original RANCOR PIT archive
Crell Damar
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2003 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It really says that in Tramp Freighters?
I need to look again, because i specifically remember them having an example in mine for Raising up your maneuverability to 4D+2..

Obi-Wan Kenobi
Rathe Ehtar
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2003 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crell Damar wrote

Quote:
It really says that in Tramp Freighters?
I need to look again, because i specifically remember them having an example in mine for Raising up your maneuverability to 4D+2..

That was the older book, remember? The example you remember is the one I mentioned.

Okay. Hull no more than +1D+1, got it. Thanks Loc Taal!

garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2005 6:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just saw this thread... Damn i guess i have been handling damage wrong up til now... I never realised that a ship which was powered down lost 2d from it's hull score (loss of particle shields)...
Boomer
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2005 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
According to PG 126 and the essential guide to weapons and tech these are two sources that claim energy sheilds do not stop physical weapons and that particle shields are integrated with in the HULL.

The Essential Guide to Weapons and Technology is not a D6 system book for the Star Wars RPG. It is 100% fluff material that many agree is riddled with errors.
to finance my 'vette!
Hellcat
Grand Moff
Grand Moff

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2005 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Um, that's 126 of neither versions of the Essential Guide to Weapons and Technology. It's page 82 of the original for shields and page 110. And it's the NEGtWaT that is typically lauded as being full of errors.

Wanted Poster
KageRyu
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2005 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In both editions of the Star Wars Sourcebook it does state that a ships energy shields are for energy only, so Proton Torpedos and concussion missiles would pass through them. This would also explain why fighters are armed with such weaponry to engage capital ships, though they must get to close range.

Star Wars Sourcebook, page 8 wrote:

Shields
There are two types of shields: Particle shields and ray/energy shields. Both are needed for complete protection, and generally all military ships are equipped with shields of both types.
Particle shields protects against missiles and space debris, but it must be temporarily turned off if the vessel wishes to fire missiles of its own (or launch or receive shuttlecraft).
Ray/energy shielding protects against lasers or other energy beams; it does not stop matter...

I think that sums it up.
Vartax
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The other night my friends and I got into a discussion about many different subjects this being one of them. After reading more into the tread I think i have answer we have been seeking. With the books saying that the partical shields protect against missles space stuff you could still hit them with the missles they just get to roll there hull code. But if the particle shields go down for instance an 8d damage for concussion missles becomes effectivly +2D more damage since the hull is reduced by -2D. Would you say that is correct?
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have used it before. Any ship without power (therefore no partical shields) gets 2d less hull for missile resistance...
Vartax
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After reading in the triolgy special edition hand book on the effect missles it stated that, "Unlike heavier space bombardments by turbolaser mounted in immense star destroyers, these weapons (proton and concussion weapons on page 113) are effective against ray- and energy shielded targets. complete particle shielding will deflect proton torpedoes, however.

So that stated, Are ships completed particle shielded and if so does that not make having proton torpedos on X-wings, Y-wings, and B-wings a total waste of time?

I don't think so persaonally, but I am really looking for some feedback how these rules have been used in your adventures.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: