The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Blaster vs Lasers question
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech -> Blaster vs Lasers question
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rasputiza
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 5:10 am    Post subject: Blaster vs Lasers question Reply with quote

Hiall,
i was just wondering if i got right the difference between Lasers and Blasters according to WEG rules.

Blasters emit a shot of hyper energyzed Tibanna Gas

Lasers emit a beam of highly focused energy

Blasters tend to be more portable than Lasers, but need ammo, while Lasers don't.

Lasers are best suited to heavy weaponry (both land equipment and ship armament), since they need a high capacity generator to function.

Am i correct? Did i miss something?
Thanks in advance
Ras
hisham
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 6:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the Star Wars Sourcebook or some such said it best. Both are based on the same technology and they are only different in name. Blasters are used for handheld firearms while larger-type weapons on airspeeders and larger vehicles are commonly known as lasers - although there are exceptions to the rule, like the B-wing's autoblasters, but even that is the lowers grade of energy weapon installed on the fighter.

Turbolasers aren't Light Amplification by Stimulated Emission of Radiation weapons. For one thing they aren't beams.

Even the beam weapons of the LAAT gunships or S-PHATs aren't lasers since you can see the beam lancing out at targets instead of moving at lightspeeds.

The other characteristics of a true laser is of course you can't see them unless there's a dust cloud or a mist to scatter the some of the photons out of the concentrated beam so you some reach your eyes so you can see it. In the dead of space, lasers should be invisible.
Phalanks Balas
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To add Hisham's comments, generaly (there are some exceptions) blaster fire range is lower than laser weapons. Classic space blaster weapon range is 1-5/10/17 and space laser weapon range is 1-3/12/25.

A day you will be facing the guns of the Black Pearl. You will know what means damned pirates !
Rasputiza
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 3:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hisham wrote:
I think the Star Wars Sourcebook or some such said it best. Both are based on the same technology and they are only different in name. Blasters are used for handheld firearms while larger-type weapons on airspeeders and larger vehicles are commonly known as lasers - although there are exceptions to the rule, like the B-wing's autoblasters, but even that is the lowers grade of energy weapon installed on the fighter.

Yes correct, i checked out in the Trilogy Sourcebook (special edition) and it says clearly that they are two names for the same technology. Blasters being usually smaller and less powerful.
Ras
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: