The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Spacetrooper armour
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules -> Spacetrooper armour Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SaintBryan
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2003 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

exactly. i think theyre only meant to board capital ships. For the smaller ships like freighters, the imps would prolly just send in a boarding party.
Volo Enrunk
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2003 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i trimmed mine down in my game anyways i just added stuff onto the radtrooper armor. and a few small rocket boosters. and oh yeah they can use that plasma torch as a melee weapon.(ouch) it does 3d starfighter scale damage.
SaintBryan
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2003 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you've played Jedi Academy yet, the hazardtrooper is also another good one to model spacetroopers on. here's a picture, but it's a little dark

http://odb.mokhet.com/images/ja/spawns/hazardtrooper.jpg

these guys are huge and cool lookin
Son of Fire
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2003 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Other species may have similar highs… but definitely not the bulk. And one little additional point of articulation is not going to help those monstrosities. For example, take two men of equal height and fighting ability, but one of which is grossly obese, put them in confined quarters and tell them to fight it out, I am fairly certain that the one with an edge in manoeuvrability (due to size) is going to have the upper hand.

As for board capital ships…there is very little that they could even do…how could a fighter scale torch cut through the hull of capital scale vessel? How could they get close enough without being cut to ribbons? And even if they successfully board the ship, how would even one platoon be enough to take a ship of thousands? I find that doubtful.
Considering that most of their weapons are character scale, with only the cutter and optional proton torp’s at fighter scale I find it highly dubious that the suits are meant to fight there way into a large capital ship (a smaller one like a corvette or a bulk freighter maybe), but then we run into the problem of the ships inner size again.

I will reiterate yet again…it’s not the suits or the troopers that I have a problem with…it the visual design that looks like a two year old did it that I can’t stand.
"My schooling not only failed to teach me what it professed to be teaching, but prevented me from being educated to an extent which infuriates me when I think of all I might have learned at home by myself." - George Bernard Shaw
Volo Enrunk
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2003 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well starfighter scale weapons are enough cuz there hitting a specific spot. think of it as a called shot the damage is increased due to the location and there so small (commared to a capital ship) that capitals can't hit target them very well. as i and someone else said in the Novel Dark Force Rising they didn't board a ship they floated around in space near a space station above sluis van and beat the crap out of weaponless capital shipa.. star cruisera i think (ackbar had it gutted to use as a transport) while rogue squadron had to pick off this little tiny objects. i mean they are 1/4 the size of a regular fighter. and pack alot of the same punch all they did was protect these mining ships that boared a whole into the bridge of the star cruiser so the empire could steal them. you would honestly just half to read it to understand it. but for what they were used for they worked great now inside the mole mining ships were regular stormtroopers who flew the ships away. at least tried. it was used to show some more of the brilliant tactics of thrawn and the use of the cloaking device.
Son of Fire
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2003 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It must have been a pretty beat up capital ship to be diced by star fighter scale weapons…unless that is what the armour is designed for. Boarding ships so pathetic that they could have easily been take by a standard boarding party? Or perhaps the author just want to make his mark on the Star Wars universe by creating something for himself…instead of using established techniques of damaging a capital ship… like specialized fighters, or another capital ship.

But is the novels description of the armour accurately portrayed in there visual? Is the author that ignorant of tactics, logic, and standard Star Wars canon that he actually believed that something resembling a giant rectangle would make and effect fighting suit?
Or did some lucky schmoe get that chance in a comic, and just “dropped-the-ball”?

I say again…its not the stats, it’s the visual image, the picture that is presented to us that I have a problem with.
"My schooling not only failed to teach me what it professed to be teaching, but prevented me from being educated to an extent which infuriates me when I think of all I might have learned at home by myself." - George Bernard Shaw
Volo Enrunk
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2003 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i belive a visual was drawn from his descriptions in the novel and as far as them damaging a capital scale a whole ship doesn't have armor over everypart. so they just have to walk to a weak part or a seam and star taking it apart i mean they all use the same metal and it is a torch it will get thru eventually, in cases like this where my players want to cut through things with their/his lightsaber(s) i roll the resist for the object then add some based on how large the player says he's cutting the opening and use that total as hitpoints. then he just keeps rolling damage until its out of hit points and it gives way.
Son of Fire
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2003 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, but your still taking stats…I’m talking about the description given. Does it match the visual that we are presented with in the book?

Remember the whole point of the thread was that they don’t look capable (the picture) of fighting in a ship efficiently and that a better design would be more suitable.
Volo Enrunk
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2003 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

no i don't think visually as per there picture they look all that capable of the stuff the stats say they can do. there picture could do what i read happen in the novel, they stayed in space. as far as in atmosphere or on a ship i agree they are way to bulky but the discription does kinda fit the way they were written.
Son of Fire
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2003 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Then if the description fits…the author must be some kind of imbecile.
There is no way that something like could effectively fight in a confined environment or one with gravity. I think perhaps he was more enthralled with the idea a opposed to a plausible design.

Unless we just take the “it says it does, so it does” route.
Which is no big deal really, considering that Lucas could not care less for EU, considering that he has already buggered up a bunch of with the release of the prequels.

And if Lucas does not give that much thought to EU, then neither will I.
Volo Enrunk
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2003 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zhan never depicted them in anything but zero-g so all the stats are based on someone at WEG who interpited Zhans writings.
Son of Fire
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2003 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WEG is also considered EU at best or obsolete at worst, either way someone dropped the ball big time.

But I would not be surprised, WEG at one point also claimed that the Executor was 5 miles long, and the Owen Lars was Obi-Wan’s brother.
But like I said before, they did not have the support that Lucas is now giving his other projects.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: