The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

The mysterious package to be delivered
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Adventures and Campaigns -> The mysterious package to be delivered
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Loc Taal
Grand Master (Founder / Admin Emeritus)

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 1:02 am    Post subject: The mysterious package to be delivered Reply with quote

Here's an adventure idea...

The characters are approached by a being who hires them to transport/deliver a package. He refuses to tell the characters what is in the package and why it's important. He offers to pay them a fairly substantial amount, half now and the other half on delivery. The package could be a cargo container, datapad, a briefcase, but the characters shouldn't be able to find out what's inside. The cargo container is made of some strange material that is remarkably resistant to any attempts to open it, the datapad apparently employs some very heavy-duty encryption routine that the characters can't crack, etc. Once the characters embark on their journey, it seems that everyone in the known galaxy wants to get their hands on this thing. The Imperials will send stormtroopers after the characters. A Hutt crime lord sends a squad of his goons to retrieve the package. If the player characters are independent smugglers, you could even have the Rebel Alliance send some troops after the package. One of these groups could even manage to steal the package from the PCs, forcing them to come up with a plan to steal it back. I think the best part of this adventure is that it appears so important to everyone that is trying to get it, but the players should never be able to find out what was in it. At the end of the adventure, once they've successfully delivered the package and collected their payment, they should be saying "Wow, what was in that thing that was so important, anyway???" Very Happy

The original RANCOR PIT archive
Volar the Healer
Jedi

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2003 4:42 pm    Post subject: Re: The mysterious package to be delivered Reply with quote

LocTaal wrote:
Here's an adventure idea...

The characters are approached by a being who hires them to transport/deliver a package.

That would be a cool adventure. I wonder how may players would abandon their job, the money, the Rebellion, and everything else because they couldn't stand not knowing.

Not many groups can really play "If the cash is there, we do not care".
Son of Fire
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2003 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

“The shiny red candy-like button”!

I know I would have to push it, or open the box as the case may be.
"My schooling not only failed to teach me what it professed to be teaching, but prevented me from being educated to an extent which infuriates me when I think of all I might have learned at home by myself." - George Bernard Shaw
Urhart the Fallen Angel
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2003 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really like that! My only problem is that I'm not doing any smugler games.
Love is still the answer take my hand
The vision fades a voice I hear
Listen to the madman!'
roguesquad
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2003 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another twist to the package delivery. The characters who deliver it, are being simple decoys. They are risking their lives for a secret recipe for marinaded nerf. If that's not deceitful enough, have them find out they are decoys, but after they decide to get rid of the package, have them find out, the real package was in their hands, and the real delivery guys have the decoy package by mistake. Smile Wink
Vartax
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2003 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've played the beginning part. There my character was sitting at the bar when another PC had just recieved the "package" in the form of a brief case. The PC was told not to open it, but to deliever it. Well, this PC is the type that jump on the back of a Rancor and yell giddie up horsie. He opened it and pow was vaporised. My character failed his perception roll to see what he was doing, but got a mega good roll for strength. So there I was drinking my drink as tables, chairs and everything else went blowing by. Not a care in the world...
Ray
Commodore
Commodore

Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada, North America, Western Hemisphere, Earth, Sol, Western Arm, Milky Way

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2003 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have something similar planned for my "Great Weird North" campaign in Deadlands: Weird West...

The CPR (Canadian-Pacific Railroad) is attempting to get a Trans-Continental Railroad built before their United States and Confederate States competetors are able to do so (What with the Civil War going on and whatnought)... And is moving a shipment of "Workers" to Alberta (Or what will be Alberta) to help with the excavation of the Rockies to get the rail to British Columbia... In addition, a CPR Head Stockholder is sending "Something Special" down the line to the head of the work gangs, and demands protection... Enter the group.

Now, the other Railroads hear of this, and immediately think that something underhanded is going on... The "Workers" are obviously soldiers or goons hired to protect the rail lines, and the "Something Special" is a new digging tool/magic relic/weapon of mass destruction/ect.

In reality, the Workers are actually workers (Although the majority of them are Irish Immigrants, so they just might double as Protectors. Laughing ), and the "Something Special" is actually a really nice Birthday Present.

Sometimes a Cigar is just a Cigar... And, BOY HOWDY, will the group not be pleased to hear they risked their lives over a BAUBLE!!!
Djas Puhr
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2003 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our GM ran an adventure similar to that. We never opened the box, just because the "mysterious old man in robes" very sternly warned us not to. We REALLY wanted to, but none of us had the guts to cross the old guy and see how good he really was. The pay was also very good, so that helped too.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Adventures and Campaigns All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: