The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

questions, questions... and ponderings.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters -> questions, questions... and ponderings.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2005 8:54 am    Post subject: questions, questions... and ponderings. Reply with quote

Just got done having a dream about Sw...
it has spurned 2 questions..

1) We know that when someone is surprised, they get no reaction to the first attack. BUT what happens if said attack, is from something bigger (read, higher scale)? Eg. pcs (or npcs) are sneaking around, and do not notice the hidden AT-ST. It does notice them, and fires it's chin blaster. Does the 4d scale difference apply to the base attack diff (let's say it is a medium range shot)????

2) Can characters spend force points/character points if they are unconcious/mortally wounded???
KageRyu
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2005 10:14 am    Post subject: Re: questions, questions... and ponderings. Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
1) We know that when someone is surprised, they get no reaction to the first attack. BUT what happens if said attack, is from something bigger (read, higher scale)? Eg. pcs (or npcs) are sneaking around, and do not notice the hidden AT-ST. It does notice them, and fires it's chin blaster. Does the 4d scale difference apply to the base attack diff (let's say it is a medium range shot)????

I am guessing you mean the scale to hit? I use die caps instead of dice differences, but I would say the reduced dice to hit still apply due to the difference in scale. Weaponry on walkers really isn't designed to target individual soldiers. On the other hand, if the walker has surprise, he could always spend some time aiming to get back a D or so.

Quote:
2) Can characters spend force points/character points if they are unconcious/mortally wounded???

This would really depend on the situation and the GMs view. As Jedi characters are allowed to use "certain" force powers even when unconcious or mortally wounded, I would say that it sets the precedence of using the force unconcious for all characters. In the right sircumstances, I would say a character could spend a force point while unconcious or mortally wounded, after all, the force is mysterious and to some extent has a mind of it's own. However, since there isn't a lot that could be done unconcious or mortally wounded, I really can only envision it being used on damage resistance, or maybe to prevent death?
Gry Sarth
Jedi

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2005 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1- The scale dice should certainly be used, it's still hard for a walker to hit a character, whether the target is sirprised or not. The characters just don't get to dodge.

2- A normal character can't take action when unconcious or mortally wounded, so there would be nothing to spend CP or FP on. I believe they could spend them to resist further damage from some jerk shooting at his limp body. However I think a mortally wounded character really shouldn't be allowed to add CP to those 2D you roll each round to see if you die. That would take out all the tension from these situations, and you wold take an eternity to die.
Trusty
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought if they are hit they can spend character/force points (if they have them) to reduce possible damage. We play that way anyway. I'd prefer to tell a good story than kill the PC's, but if they don't have the points or still fail the roll, then they die...which also makes for a good story. Very Happy If, against all efforts they die, so be it, but if they roll really, really crummy and a luck shot by stormtrooper 65415498436876983146876831787687254384 kills them very anti-climaticly...then I'd hate to refuse them the chance to spend force points or character points to see if they can survive it.
Volar the Healer
Jedi

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2005 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1) Yes, the scale difference does apply.
2) No, unconscious characters can take no action. What a great opportunity for their fellow heroes to save them... Now, a Jedi who resists pain and remains conscious would be an exception.
KageRyu
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2005 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Volar the Healer wrote:
2) No, unconscious characters can take no action. What a great opportunity for their fellow heroes to save them... Now, a Jedi who resists pain and remains conscious would be an exception.

But shouldn't they still be aloud to use force points and CP to resist damage, as that is generally an unconcious act. The spirit of the rules tends to indicate it is so with the purpose of trying to prevent further damage, or a death from a mortal wound.
Volar the Healer
Jedi

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2005 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought about that and am going to stick with no.
But in your game, you must do what you think is right, of course...
entropy
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 8:38 am    Post subject: character points and surprise Reply with quote

I would say that the surprise effectively prevents them from dodging. Since there's no dodge roll, there's no chance to spend character points on the roll. once they've been hit they are fully aware of the attack, and should be able to use their normal allotment of character points (I think it's 5) to resist the damage.

I wouldn't think you can use a force point to resist damage even if you were aware of it. Force points have to be declared at the beginning of a round, except for a few jedi powers. Is there a rule somewhere that lets you declare a force point as a reaction? Besides, you can't spend CP and FP in the same round, and you can spend up to 5 CP. So unless you've got 5D+ strength (or no CP left), you're better off spending CP anyway.
Phalanks Balas
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1°) how could someone not notice an AT-ST ? A tree, a tree, an other tree, an AT-ST, a tree, an other tree... hu ? Very Happy

The scale difference dice play for defense roll such dodge and damage. Thus if a AT-ST make a surprise attaque on caracter scale target, it hasn't any malus due to scale difference because the target can't avoid the shoot. Of course if the AT-ST success (beat the range difficulty) add 4D to the damage roll for scale difference.

2°) I would say yes but only for passive action like resist to damage or wealth roll. Spending CP or FP is not conciously done by the caracter but by the player. It's a rule artefact like the wild dice.

A day you will be facing the guns of the Black Pearl. You will know what means damned pirates !
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Resurection...

I just remembered the situation i was thinking about that spruned the second part of the question..

Had a situation where during the surprise round attacks, 3 of the party went to KO, 1 to MW and the rest took only wounds... 4 rounds of combat later, a trio of frag grenades went off right in the midst of the group... The cp/fp issue came up as to whether the downed ones would get to spend it for damage resistance..
Grimace
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, PCs should be able to use CPs/FPs to resist damage rolls even if they are unconcious or mortally wounded. Consider it fate, or luck, or whatever. Obviously they couldn't do it to take an action, as you can't act while unconcious or mortally wounded, but certainly to resist more damage.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: