The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Martial Arts
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules -> Martial Arts Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Urhart the Fallen Angel
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2003 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now I'm not exactly that bright. What does that mean?
Love is still the answer take my hand
The vision fades a voice I hear
Listen to the madman!'
Crell Damar
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2003 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

he's talking about spending pips of your skill dice raising the required skill for an advanced skill, and then you can spend more of your skill dice onthe advanced skill...

I disagree with this though, I say that you spend your skill dice on required skill/skills and then you have to learn the advanced skill with CP... which players don't always have the cp to do that during character creation... so then they have to spend the time in a technical school or whatever to finish learning it Wink

Obi-Wan Kenobi
Urhart the Fallen Angel
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2003 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, that makes sense. Ok heres one, how many dice would you use for it? would it be 4 or 1?
Listen to the madman!'
Son of Fire
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2003 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It’s just a preference one-way or the other. Our rational was that if we wanted to play a professional…say like a doctor it would just be easier. The points will be spent anyway so what was the big deal, in our opinion. On the good side of this, we never really had to del with abuse of our leniency.
"My schooling not only failed to teach me what it professed to be teaching, but prevented me from being educated to an extent which infuriates me when I think of all I might have learned at home by myself." - George Bernard Shaw
Urhart the Fallen Angel
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2003 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok here's an idea, would one be allowed to use the MA advanced skill to affect the attacks of noghri brawling? imagine Esoomian with noghri brawlig and MA the most damage a cryber one could do is 14D+1 on a flying kick, but I don't thin kmy GM would allow that...
Listen to the madman!'
Crell Damar
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2003 2:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

an esoomian wouldn't get noghri brawling because he's not a noghri...

Obi-Wan Kenobi
Urhart the Fallen Angel
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2003 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

they could learn it from a noghri, it's just another way to fight. They'd have to train, but learn it none the less. Razz
Listen to the madman!'
Crell Damar
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2003 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it's not a way of fighting, it's a racial ability... just like a human can't get the +3D sneak that a defel gets... or the bonus on initiative that a Gotal gets... because that is racial.

Obi-Wan Kenobi
Urhart the Fallen Angel
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2003 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But the noghri brawling is something noghri are trained in from birth, not something they naturaly have. Anybody trained could have that, as a matter of fact I belive Chewy had it.
Listen to the madman!'
Loc Taal
Grand Master (Founder / Admin Emeritus)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2003 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that the Noghri form of martial arts is a highly specialized skill that has almost become a racial special ability. I don't think that any non-Noghri would know this particular form of martial arts. First of all, they'd have to find a Noghri to teach them, which would be difficult enough in itself (if not entirely impossible, depending on the time period in which your campaign takes place). Secondly, Noghri get these bonuses because they are taught this skill at an early age. The Noghri are a warrior culture and are raised with this form of martial arts as a way of life. I don't think the same bonuses would apply to someone who wasn't raised in Noghri culture. An Esoomian could learn the standard form of martial arts that Crell listed here and gain those bonuses though.

I don't think Chewbacca was ever trained in the Noghri form of martial arts. The martial arts skill isn't even listed on his character sheet in the Special Edition Movie Trilogy Sourcebook.

The original RANCOR PIT archive
Urhart the Fallen Angel
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2003 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh. I guess my GM was wrong. Are you talking about early on, or near the end?
Listen to the madman!'
Volo Enrunk
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2003 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the noghri klabalkh or something like that trained him while chewie was on hnograh with leia protecting her. and it was learned as if an advanced skill but the benifit of noghri martial arts is that they add there claws to the damage too. and chewie learned it like and advanced skill thats why i think they should be advanced i mean all martial arts develop diffrently and while over the avg person they have a great advantage against other martial arts they would still have some advantage just cuz that person hasn't seen that style. i mean Tae Kwon Do is Completly different from Hopkido yet both would shred apart Farmer John the local bruiser. but against each other it would be different, they couldn't hit each other very easy just on the fact that they have training in defence hence the +1d+2 to parry and they would still get +1d+2 damage also because when there trained to do damage hit hurts lots. hence the noghri damage of 2d+2 from there claws and the skill in putting them where they need to go to hur lots. anyways i think chewies stats are in the dark force rising sourcebook and there after like last command etc. yes its listed as a specialization but its lower than his brawling skill...
zarkempt
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2003 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

volo said . i mean Tae Kwon Do is Completly different from Hopkido yet both would shred apart Farmer John the local bruiser. but against each other it would be different, they couldn't hit each other very easy just on the fact that they have training in defence hence the +1d+2 to parry and they would still get +1d+2 damage also because when there trained to do damage hit hurts lots.

however they are tought to comlament each other the nogri have honed their art over time to work with their bodies, nobody else. they move different than anyone bigger than a short legged dog so to say anyone else to be able to learn it is false in my opion. i dont think that you can compare our martial arts to starwars, because we all move more or less the same. also as a warrior race they would be more flexable due to training. however i think there should be more types of unrmmed comabt in the universe, look at earth we have like 8 that i can think of right off he top of my head, not inculding different styles of the same art i.e. kung fu.
Loc Taal
Grand Master (Founder / Admin Emeritus)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2003 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Urhart and Volo are correct. On page 14 of The Last Command Sourcebook, it says that "Chewbacca learned the rudiments of the Noghri martial arts style". It's interesting that he gets the full bonus for this skill when he only "learned the rudiments". It's also interesting that the skill is a specialization, yet is only at 6D while his base brawling skill is 11D. If the skill is a specialization of brawling, it should be higher than his brawling skill (Chewbacca already had a brawling skill of 10D as of A New Hope). Confused

The original RANCOR PIT archive
Ragnar
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2003 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Loc Taal wrote:
If the skill is a specialization of brawling, it should be higher than his brawling skill (Chewbacca already had a brawling skill of 10D as of A New Hope). Confused

Not since chewie learned the specialization post character creation...when you learn a specialization post creation, you learn it at +1 above your base attribute. Shocked
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: