The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

How does MFTAS work?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech -> How does MFTAS work? Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Xynar
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gry Sarth wrote:
Hummm.. I don't know. A dodge seems like too brief a movement for the MFTAS to be used effectively. The system would have to be able to effectively predict the future in order to aid on a quick subtle dodge.

It's hard to stop foward momentum.
Tupteq
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Xynar wrote:

And that's the reason why Stormtrooper (following official rules) has better chance to hit a moving target than immobile target? Makes no sense for me. Reduction of penalties - yes, but unjustified bonus - no.
Gry Sarth
Jedi

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Xynar wrote:

What do you mean by that? That it's hard to perform a quick dodge (say, duck) and stop your movement in a fraction of a second? That's not really true...
Xynar
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When was the last time you were running and turned or stopped on a dime? That is why a stormtrooper would get a bonus for predicting your movement.
Ray
Commodore
Commodore

Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada, North America, Western Hemisphere, Earth, Sol, Western Arm, Milky Way

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Turning a bit easier than stopping. Normally sliding is a good suggestion.

Jumping off something (Like a wall) makes for good cinema as well as allow for the turning on a dime, and the system is supposed to be cinematic.

Mostly, find a nice dumpster. Cover is your friend, and Blasters don't have much in the way of penetration.

Which is why the Far Orbit crew had a good number of projectile weapons. Preferably ones that go "Boom", but that was to keep the Marines happy.
Xynar
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ray wrote:
Preferably ones that go "Boom", but that was to keep the Marines happy.

But disruptors are really nice as well.
Gry Sarth
Jedi

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Xynar wrote:
When was the last time you were running and turned or stopped on a dime? That is why a stormtrooper would get a bonus for predicting your movement.

Your response had been in respect to dodging, not running. Of course you cannot stop on a dime when running, but you can perform a very quick duck movement or some similar dodge, killing your momentum instantly. If you're running, then certainly the MAFTAS should apply, that's what it's for.
Xynar
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moving at 10m+ per round isn't walking. I'm just trying to show why MFTAS is beneficial for the trooper.
Tupteq
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Xynar wrote:
Moving at 10m+ per round isn't walking. I'm just trying to show why MFTAS is beneficial for the trooper.

It's only 7.2km/h. I can walk with that speed. Not matter. Interesting for me is why it's easier for Stormtrooper to hit moving target than motionless target. Any ideas? My guess is an editor's error.

BTW, I think there could be some modifiers to difficulty to hit moving targets, like:
+1D (or +3) for 20m/round (4m/s=14.4km/h)
+2D (or +6) for 40m/round
+3D (or +9) for 80m/round
+4D (or +12) for 160m/round etc.
It gives +2D (or +6) for human running all-out, +4D for speeder bike on high speed and +7D+1 (or +22) for X-Wing flying all-out. Of course it should apply only to hand weapons (not vehicle/starship weapons). And these penalties could be reduced by MFTAS (up to +2D or +6).
But, I think it may only complicate combat and maybe it will be better (and easier) to just ignore this (not a big) problem.
Gry Sarth
Jedi

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Xynar, I'm having a hard time finding the coherence in our little conversation here. I state one thing, and you reply to it. When I question your reply you refer to a different subject. Then when I question that, you reply with yet another subject. I'm not criticizing you, I'm just trying to get this topic (which is very relevant) to flow in a coherent way, so we can build on each others responses and hopefully get somewhere. So I ask you, when replying, to adress the specific subject being asked. This might be my fault, but I'm having a hard time seeing your point(s).
Gry Sarth
Jedi

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tupteq wrote:
It's only 7.2km/h. I can walk with that speed. Not matter. Interesting for me is why it's easier for Stormtrooper to hit moving target than motionless target. Any ideas? My guess is an editor's error.

Indeed, 10 m/round IS walking, which is why it's referred to as Cruising Speed. 20 m/round is kind of jogging (High Speed) and 40 m/round is a sprint (All-Out).

Tupteq wrote:
BTW, I think there could be some modifiers to difficulty to hit moving targets, like:
+1D (or +3) for 20m/round (4m/s=14.4km/h)
+2D (or +6) for 40m/round
+3D (or +9) for 80m/round
+4D (or +12) for 160m/round etc.

Yes, I think this is sorta what's missing for this MFTAS thing to make sense. It's a quick and easy system, which could be easily implemented without much hassle. And frankly, I don't recall that many situations in my years of gaming of shooting at a fast moving target.
Xynar
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry. I don't care how it works. I just use it in my games.
Ankhanu
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gry Sarth wrote:
Again, the entry says nothing about "increased range". We have to try to work with what WEG gave us.

As I see it, this system scans the target in front of you, calculates its movement and speed and feeds into your visor an image of its projected trajectory. So if the target is standing still or moving slowly, it makes no real difference because the projection will be practically on top of the real target. But if the target is traveling fast, than you won't have to mentally calculate where to "overshoot" your target, you simply shoot where your MFTAS tells you the target will be (taking into acount target speed and trajectory and you blaster bolt's travelling speed).

That's basically my take on it.
It gives a bonus for computer assist on the attack and the computer has a threshold at which it starts operating. Perhaps the movement rate should be increased to 15m per round or something, I dunno.

It's not a lot different than using a scope or scomplink; just rather than increasing bonus for extra time to mentally calculate distance/magnifyig and giving a difficulty reduction bonus, it gives a skill bonus. The distinction between the bonus for the scomplink and the MFTAS is pretty much a semantic one; reduction in effective range, reducing difficulty or an increase in dice to hit at the same difficulty, the net result is much the same.

Generally, this feature is forgotten. However, when you need troopers with more edge/effectiveness later in the game, it's an excellent feature to make use of.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good point that use of it, does give stormies a little more lethality. BUT my experience so far shows that most pcs actually slow down around stormies cause of this..
vong
Jedi

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

giving the stormies more rounds to shoot them.

so it will either give them a bonus to hit, or give them longer to hit.

gives them an edge both ways Smile

PM me if you want user created content uploaded to my site: http://databank.yvong.com/index.php
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: