The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Autorealm
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Tools -> Autorealm
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ebertran
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2007 3:08 pm    Post subject: Autorealm Reply with quote

Any of you guys use Autorealm for map making?
It's free and it's pretty cool.
Tupteq
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2007 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried it some time ago, but it's hard to use (not intuitive, strange interface), buggy (especially redrawing) and it's features aren't impressive (most, if not all can be found in Illustrator or InkScape). Additionally it's old and nobody is working on it. The one interesting thing is it's quite big symbol library and cool line styles.
ifurin
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2007 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

as far as map making goes i use some old tried and true tools. pensil, paper, and a ruler if nessissary.
Tupteq
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 5:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ifurin wrote:
as far as map making goes i use some old tried and true tools. pensil, paper, and a ruler if nessissary.

Heh, I'm a computer fanatic and I'm creating many of my maps using it. I tried many map making programs (AutoRealm, ProFantasy, Fractal Mapper and more) and none of them was handy and intuitive for me. I have some experience in graphic programs and I successfully created some maps (or rather locations) using Adobe Illustrator (vector), Google SketchUp (3D) and Blender (3D). Now I'm testing free InkScape as an Illustrator replacement.
ifurin
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

in your opinion what is the best and easyest to use? the reason i map by hand is because i haven't found a decent program. paper and pensil has so far proved most effecient for me.
Tupteq
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ifurin wrote:
in your opinion what is the best and easyest to use?

All depends what you want to draw. For 3D drawings (like detailed building plans) I used Blender, but recently I found that SketchUp may be even easier for this. For more classic drawings I first used Photoshop, then GIMP, but it was kinda crude for me (and raster, not vector), I changed it to Illustrator (it's great for floor plans, deckplans etc.). Now I'm testing InkScape as a free Illustrator replacement. I never created any continent/island plans (didn't need), but I think for this kind of drawings dedicated programs (like AutoRealm) can be quicker (because of easy access to tools like fractal line), but this one advantage didn't convince me to them.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Tools All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: