The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Standing Still During Full Reaction?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules -> Standing Still During Full Reaction? Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Red 331
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 1:22 am    Post subject: Standing Still During Full Reaction? Reply with quote

Are characters and vehicles that are doing a full reaction able to move while doing so? 2nd R&E (page 110) seems to imply that they can't. Does this mean that characters and vehicles have to slow to a halt before they can do a full dodge?
Tupteq
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my games they move (and usually fast!), but they have no full control on move speed direction (all depends on circumstances). I'm allowing players to choose general direction of full dodge, but it's my decision (as GM) where they finish at the and of round.
cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From what I understand, you can move half of your speed without it counting as an action.
Akari
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Basically you do move, but in circles and non-straight lines, so thats why you effectively only move as much as a half-move... Or something like that... Wink
Ankhanu
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thought the rules stated a half move could be added to a full reaction, but nothing else. I'll take a look when I'm home.
Esoomian
High Admiral
High Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Akari wrote:
Basically you do move, but in circles and non-straight lines, so thats why you effectively only move as much as a half-move... Or something like that... Wink

I'm with Akari on this one. The characters are too concerned with staying out of the line of fire to cover the same amount of distance they could with a regular move action.

After all even when moving at full speed, a straight line is nice and easy to predict and therefore won't do too much for avoiding fire.

Simply stand closer to the object you wish to view.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed as well... Especially in space. All that corkscrewing, twisting, barrel rolling etc... you are moving, just not how you normally would like to.
Gry Sarth
Jedi

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed as well. But if there are obstacles nearby, there's a big chance that you might crash on something. How would you figure that?
Ankhanu
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

2nd Ed. rules state that a Full reaction and 1 full movement may be accomplished in a round (p.61). R&E rules state the full reaction only with no mention of movement (p.90).
We've always played that a half-movement could accompany a full reaction... which isn't as powerful as what's in 2nd Ed. and more than allowed by R&E, but I think it makes some sense, in that when someone is trying really hard not to get hit, they're generally in motion... especially in a vehicle, but you generally can't get as far as you'd normally go.
Red 331
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 7:04 pm    Post subject: Movement and Full Dodge Reply with quote

Thanks for the feedback. Allowing a half-movement seems to make sense, since it's considered a free action (at least with most terrain), and since it doesn't seem to make sense to have to be standing still while full dodging. Under other conditions, I guess you can just do a normal reaction dodge.

This would seem to mean that a character cannot do a full dodge after a round at all-out speed, and a vehicle or starship can't after a round at all-out or high speed, with the deceleration limitations? That probably makes sense.

I also like the idea that you don't have complete control of where you end up with a full dodge -- just a general direction.

Thanks everyone!
Red 331
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 8:04 pm    Post subject: Full Dodge Under Difficult Terrain Reply with quote

Gry -- if there are lots of obstacles, wouldn't that make it difficult (or worse) terrain, which would prevent the use of a "free action" under cautious movement, and as a result rule out the use of full dodge?

Thanks again!
Gry Sarth
Jedi

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes.

And that's how you'd figure it. 8)
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 4:06 am    Post subject: Re: Movement and Full Dodge Reply with quote

Red 331 wrote:

This would seem to mean that a character cannot do a full dodge after a round at all-out speed, and a vehicle or starship can't after a round at all-out or high speed, with the deceleration limitations? That probably makes sense.

I also like the idea that you don't have complete control of where you end up with a full dodge -- just a general direction.

Thanks everyone!

That it would.. though i have seen some gms who have allowed it.
Tupteq
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 8:34 am    Post subject: Re: Full Dodge Under Difficult Terrain Reply with quote

Red 331 wrote:
Gry -- if there are lots of obstacles, wouldn't that make it difficult (or worse) terrain, which would prevent the use of a "free action" under cautious movement, and as a result rule out the use of full dodge?

Ok, but in some situations full dodge may be a "duck&cover" action (jump behind obstacle). Or maybe ducking for cover isn't a full dodge?
joshrobertson
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would be my feeling that a full dodge incorporates the concept of MOVE NOW IN ANY DIRECTION POSSIBLE!!!!
I would make the movement highly dependent on the surroundings. I would say a full dodge while moving at all out speed can be done even under the 2nd R&E rules. I would use the example of the Falcon in Episode V when it gets pinched between the star destroyers after failed to jump to hyperspace. The Falcon is moving at full speed and suddenly dives and rolls multiple times.
If a character is standing on a narrow bridge the full dodge may not even be possible or the full dodge is an all out run to the end of the bridge. Maybe they are in a forest setting and a full dodge becomes the opportunity play Tarzan or jump into a nearby river.
Each circumstance should be evaluated differently to keep the game play moving and in spirit of the movies as the rules always suggest.
I would also allow the character to pick the direction in which they are headed when the dodge is over and done with. These things can be very tricky if you have players that are now using movement concepts taken from the miniatures rules which have rules for nearly every conceivable movement.....
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: