The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

A Comment on a D6 Criticism that I have heard...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Star Wars Games -> A Comment on a D6 Criticism that I have heard... Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Son of Fire
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2003 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, atonement is a good starting story ark.
"My schooling not only failed to teach me what it professed to be teaching, but prevented me from being educated to an extent which infuriates me when I think of all I might have learned at home by myself." - George Bernard Shaw
zarkempt
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2003 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the failed jedi also starts with a bottle of booze. Perhaps a drunken style of jedi? hmm
Crell Damar
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2003 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd rather turn in my bottle of booze for a comlink or something useful...

Obi-Wan Kenobi
Hellstorm
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2003 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

D6 system isn't all that available here and I plan to use d20 shortly in my game . so all I'll do is transfer the good ideas from D6 to D20 with a little modification Embarassed Laughing 8)

Peter Griffin: "Embrace The Fear." -Family Guy
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Son of Fire
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2003 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Such blasphemy!
In all seriousness though, why are you switching?
"My schooling not only failed to teach me what it professed to be teaching, but prevented me from being educated to an extent which infuriates me when I think of all I might have learned at home by myself." - George Bernard Shaw
Hellstorm
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2004 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I said, since it's not all that available in Montreal, I'm just going to keep the D20 since I have no idea how to use D6 system 8)

Peter Griffin: "Embrace The Fear." -Family Guy
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Son of Fire
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2004 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Necessity is the mother of invention…or just nab a pdf off of kazaa.
Crell Damar
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2004 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Order books online... that's how i've managed to keep my collection at a decent size Smile

Obi-Wan Kenobi
Volar the Healer
Jedi

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2004 3:48 pm    Post subject: Re: A Comment on a D6 Criticism that I have heard... Reply with quote

[quotes from"Jedi Knight Jael Weiss"]

I was checking out what the enemy was writing about the D6 system on another forum, and one of the things that they wrote is their opinion that the D6 system is vastly unbalanced in favor of the Jedi characters, wheras the D20 ::trying not to lose his cookies:: is better for game balance because no one character class truly dominates.

After thinking about it for a while, I have to ask; Have these people not seen the movies? Don't they remember Anakin's comment: "Nobody can kill a Jedi." Even though that's not really true, from the commoner's point of view it's the way to bet. To keep to the flavor of the movies, Jedis must have some serious advantages. Otherwise, it's not Star Wars.

...Jedi teachers are extremely rare, especially if you are playing in the Rebellion era. I would think that whatever advantages a Jedi would have in the Star Wars universe would be more than offset by the fact that is is extremely difficult, if not even impossible, to be able to learn the Force powers and skills. Trying to find a teacher that hasn't been killed by Vader, or whatever reason.

I agree. Hold a Jedi character to the requirements in the RPG, and you'll quickly discover, the director decides what the Jedi can do - not the player. The additional character point requirements alone force the player to slow the pace of the character's Jedi advancement or risk having a Jedi character that cannot do anything except his Jedi powers.

...So it seems more of an indictment of the GMs than a knock on the D6 system. If the GM makes things like that too accessable, then yes, it will seriously upset the balance of the game!

I agree. And in such a case, his entire game will lack balance.

...And don't give your Jedi novice a teacher that has 13D in all of his skills after the second adventure of your campaign! But if you absolutely have to do so, let him have his teacher for a couple of sessions and then have the teacher killed off.

To do this is to ignore the movies.

I know I am speaking to the choir here, but any comments?

From the director's point of view, one Jedi per party is great because the Jedi has skills other characters do not have. He also provides a great adventure hook. But bounty hunters are still better in a blaster fight, and fighter pilots are still better in a space mission. A twisted director can see to it a Jedi is more touble than he's worth if the Jedi gets out of line.

For numerous reasons d20 just doesn't work for Star Wars...not the way WoTC did it anyway. I have several times introduced d20 players to WEG's D6 RPG and everytime they've converted. Once they realize their characters can have any skill they want - without limits - they're sold. Only in WEG's D6 can a player shape his character into exactly what he wants. And that makes the game more fun.

Death to d20! Long live D6!
Rathe Ehtar
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2004 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Word!

I've taken a look at the enemy and I am greatly disapointed. I'm familiar with d20 as I play D&D and I must say that d6 is superior for star wars. I mean, I would have to be almost 10th level to the do the stuff my characters can do right from the start with d6. It's blasphemy! A friend of mine converted do to convenience and it sucks.

"I don't buy that cluck like a dog, bark like a chicken stuff." -Col. Jack O'Neill
Son of Fire
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2004 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can I get an amen with that?

As I have stated before the one thing that WOTC have over D6 is looks. The books look fantastic, and they have tons of access to Lucas’s files on his creation. Ironically, even with that support it still falls flat. Their respective classes limit characters, and certain characters are given an edge by sheer luck (rolling for stats). It reminds me of original D&D…
“So what do you do?”
“I’m a Dwarf”
“But what do you do?”
“I told you I’m a Dwarf.”
“So you what then?”
“I…uh…Dwarf really well.”
Replace Dwarf with Jedi or whatever and you have the WOTC version of SW.

Luke was not just a pilot or Jedi in training, Han was not just a smuggler, and Leia was not just a princess. Their characters where not limited by classes.

The bottom line is this; WOTC lacks that epic, limitless, cinematic feel that is essential to a good Star Wars game.
Volar the Healer
Jedi

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2004 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Son of Fire wrote:

...Their respective classes limit characters, and certain characters are given an edge by sheer luck (rolling for stats)...

Even WotC realized this with a comment in their first book. Also, just as D&D has grown dark; gone from a cute little fantasy game to a game where evil is in everything and good has no place, WotC's (pathetic attempt at a) Star Wars RPG is growing dark. Take a good look at the number of skills granted to each class and you'll see the smuggler & rogues get more skills than the Jedi. I can't imagine it's because smugglers and rogues spend more time studying than Jedi do... But seriously, looking at their classes - which one is the good guys? A player might be able to play a hero, but none of WotC's classes are set up for it. In the true Star Wars game, a player can set up his character to be anything he wants.

Son of Fire wrote:

Luke was not just a pilot or Jedi in training, Han was not just a smuggler, and Leia was not just a princess. Their characters where not limited by classes.

Agreed. Exactly correct.

Son of Fire wrote:

The bottom line is this; WOTC lacks that epic, limitless, cinematic feel that is essential to a good Star Wars game.

And THAT is why they fail.

I express it this way: In WotC's (pitiful attempt at a) Star Wars RPG the characters cannot do what we saw the characters in the movies do.
Son of Fire
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2004 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Also, just as D&D has grown dark; gone from a cute little fantasy game to a game where evil is in everything and good has no place, WotC's (pathetic attempt at a) Star Wars RPG is growing dark

Though I do agree that WOTC has tried to make a “dark” Star Wars I think that has more to do with some of the EU material being put out recently; like the whole “there is no Light or Dark side to the Force, its all a matter of perspective” garbage that is being spouted in the Vong books. Now don’t get me wrong…I like darker oriented games…just not for Star Wars. Star Wars is supposed to harkens to epic clashes between good and evil. It is not supposed to ambiguous.

Quote:
Take a good look at the number of skills granted to each class and you'll see the smuggler & rogues get more skills than the Jedi. I can't imagine it's because smugglers and rogues spend more time studying than Jedi do

They are just trying to apply their methodology of D&D to SW. Rogues have more skills to balance out the other abilities of Jedi and the like. But it still falls short if you ask me. Star Wars is not based on the D&D template, and therefore WOTC should not try to apply it to SW. even though that is precisely what they have done. A smuggler is not a “space Rogue”…they should learn that.
Wookie rage
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2004 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A few points of perspective: In D6 I disagree that how much you can bench should be how much damage you can take. Money seems to require an adventure in D6 where in D20 the GM can just kind of hand out money a lil easier (someone may disagree with me and if you do I'd like to know what you do in your adventures for $$). Star Wars is turning to eras that D6 was not able to cover so you're either going to have to pick up D20 and convert stats, or homebrew stuff. I will admit though, that it's a royal pain to get a character to be what you want in D20. I don't like the way you train in D6 to become a Jedi but I think that's more of a personal problem. I see training in the force as something more of a solitary thing. You can do that in D20 where as D6 it's virtually impossible to train like that. (I know there are limits for D20 during the rebellion era, but not really for Force Adepts.)

"Let's just say we'd like to avoid any Imperial entanglements." ~Obi Wan Kenobi
Ragnar
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2004 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In regards to Wookie R's money comment... It's easy to acquire money in D6. You can smuggle things, be a charter pilot(one of the easiest and most profitable), be a merc and do odd jobs, if you are one bounty hunt, you can steal, and if worse comes to worst you can always take loans from a bank or if you're desperate a loan shark. These are just a few ways of earning money in D6 without the GM just handing it to you for free.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Star Wars Games All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 2 of 10

Jump to: