The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Help for first D6 game.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters -> Help for first D6 game.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Elhaylin
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2003 8:27 am    Post subject: Help for first D6 game. Reply with quote

Hello everyone I am new to these boards. I have been playing the d20 version of star wars rpg for quite a while now. I have grown sick of the limitations of the system and bought a copy of the weg 2nd ed rev. on ebay. I want to switch from d20 to d6 keeping the current campaign and charectors intact. My question to all you knoledgable d6 gms here, I do not want to have my players convert there stats but rather start from scratch keeping the same idea as there current d20 charectors. I beleive this will be more accurate then the conversion systems I have seen. SO my question is how many cps should I give them to try and recreate there 12th level charectors in D6

Last edited by Elhaylin on Wed Dec 03, 2003 10:58 am; edited 1 time in total
Loc Taal
Grand Master (Founder / Admin Emeritus)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2003 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Elhaylin, welcome to the forums! I've never played the d20 system, so I'm not sure exactly how a 12th level character would compare to a character in the d6 system. Here's a list of skill levels and how they compare to the rest of the galaxy. This might be helpful in trying to determine how many cp to give your players.

The original RANCOR PIT archive
Loc Taal

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2003 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, here is a list of stats for common NPCs. This might also help you get a feel for the skill levels you want your characters to start with.

Crell Damar
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2003 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what classes are they Elhaylin?
12th level would be 15 ranks in class skills, correct?
If you're starting them off with the 7D for skills, then somewhere in the neighborhood of I'd say 70-80, if they're force users, maybe up to 100, because with cps, you can burn through them before you know it, and 12th level in any D20 game would show some very experienced players, now... I would tell my players to spend the cp while they still can, and not to concentrated into any skill to heavily... because unlike d20, you actually have to choose when you raise your combat skills Smile
Also, usually characters are only allowed to raise a skill by +1 at a time w/ cp, for this case I would recommend that you take that limit off.

Another thing you may want to do, is start them off with more skill dice and then give them quite a few less cp... maybe somewhere in the neighborhood of 20D and 20 cp. With those, you can make a seasoned vetran character.

Anyway, welcome to the board, my services are always available... Rathe Ehtar is also a very very skilled GM, and he can probably help you with anything that I can't Smile

Obi-Wan Kenobi
Ragnar
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2003 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I have grown sick of the limitations of the system and bought a copy of the weg 2nd ed rev. on ebay.

"PRAISE THE LORD, WE HAVE A CONVERTER!!!!"
Welcome to WEG Star Wars!!!
You Shall Be Forgiven For Playing D20!!! Laughing
Volo Enrunk
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2003 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

using the skill per capita list is a good way to get an idea the D20 system should have one of those or you can use the ADnD 3ed lvl/populus chart as an idea but Crell is right 20D-20cps is a good way to get a character with some salt on him you could always have them make the character like this and then add to it if you think he'd be more or less my suggestion is if you're unsure go lower. you can always compensate for it in your game by rewarding a few extra cps better then to have them to strong and have them redo it they'd be upset at that. As always if you have questions ask, progression is going to be alot different i'd say most Gms give out (im guessing) around 5-10 cps (usually 3-7) per mission? back me up if you other gms agree?

Example: so and so says i need you to do a job for me go and bust our republic Diplomat out of prison before being transported to the Compound from the hospital. make characters decide how to make there hit... throw in a kink or 2 bonus point for idea that blindsided you as a gm and viola
7 cps.

To date i run a little faster pace game and i make everyone a little more rounded i on avg give 12-17cps on a mission like the one above. the rulebook has a section on "Rewards" read it and get an idea for your stile of play. if you advance your guys fast to 12 maybe you want to give them
more XD to spend off the bat. I should stop rambling...
Phaedrus
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2003 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Elhaylin, I think you've made a great choice! Welcome to d6!!

Concerning your players, I would give you my two cents worth. Most of the time when I have to make a major change to an on going campaign, like changing from d20 to d6, I try to be as fair as possbile. If you find all your players are willing to make the change, then you're in luck, if not, then you should be willing ot make some compesantions to them for the time and effort of making (practically) new characters.

In fact, I would probably start these existing PC's with even more cp to start with then would be normal for a converted character. If during the conversion process your players start to feel like their characters are getting less powerful because of it, then there will be some grumbling, on the reverse side, you don't want them to become to powerful either.

Use an available conversion guide, as just that, a guide. I would just make sure that all my players are happy after the conversion, while still maintaining some sort of balance Very Happy

Just my two cents worth!!

~ phaedrus
Loc Taal

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2003 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Elhaylin, Here's a site with a lot of d20 to d6 conversions that you might also find useful:
http://www.verminary.com/rebellion/

Hellstorm
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2003 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Loc Taal wrote:
Elhaylin, Here's a site with a lot of d20 to d6 conversions that you might also find useful:
http://www.verminary.com/rebellion/

Thank you for the site it will be useful 8)

Peter Griffin: "Embrace The Fear." -Family Guy
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Vartax
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2004 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the only other thing you might want to keep in mind is that the d20 system takes into account that you will be spending character points to raise base attributes, as well as skills. So many of the CP's will be spent in that area.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: